Jon Gruden

JoshBarnett

57 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Here is a fun game:  Find any one QB...just one...that went on Grudens QB Camp show where he gave them a weak or bad review.  

Its a puff piece segment, he loves all the guys on the show.  Agent's will NOT let any of their players go on that show if there is a possibility it could hurt their draft stock.  He has to a rosy piece on every single player otherwise no one would do the show, thats the nature of TV.  

And he's had massive love affairs beyond normal of guys like Tebow and Manziel too.  

He made Cam Newton look real, real bad.

44 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Gruden seems to love just about every QB but it's not a secret most pundits and experts had a much higher grade on NP than 5th round, some projecting as high as late 1st/high 2nd rounder.

Name one or two. I never saw that. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I like NP as a prospect but there are ZERO scouts who had a first round grade on him 

he physical attributes don't warrant it. 

Doesn't matter what any of the pundits say at this point.  His play will determine what he is or isn't. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Doesn't matter what any of the pundits say at this point.  His play will determine what he is or isn't. 

I totally get that..

but saviorpeterman tried propping it up like he was some super steal that everyone thought would be amazing.

he has some good qualities and I'm excited but coming out he was mostly thought of as a long term NFL backup 

not a boarder line 1st , 2nd rounder

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I totally get that..

but saviorpeterman tried propping it up like he was some super steal that everyone thought would be amazing.

he has some good qualities and I'm excited but coming out he was mostly thought of as a long term NFL backup 

not a boarder line 1st , 2nd rounder

Almost half of TBD patrons that frequent the forum thought /voted Peterman should start over Taylor before the season started.

1 minute ago, Figster said:

Almost half of TBD patrons that frequent the forum thought /voted Peterman should start over Taylor before the season started.

And that is just asanine.

Im not a huge TT guy but Peterman wasn't ready to start

He looked good in preseason. So did EJ Manuel.

he also floats a good amount of balls because of mechanics.

couple that with average arm strength and that leads to a lot sailed throws.

he was a fifth rounder for a reason. He has flaws...

not to say he can't improve ... but his flaws will still probably be evident and that's why he was drafted late

not to say he can't improve ... but his flaws will still probably be evident and that's why he was drafted late

Maybe the point wasn't that Nate would be better than Tyrod, but that people had seen enough and knew 2016 Tryod was the best that they would see.  A non passing QB around .500 record. 

I disagree on the "he wasn't ready week 1" argument. Even coach said he was ready when Tyrod was in concussion protocol and we thought Nate might have started. Not only that, but being the primary back up for a mobile QB who maybe hasn't missed a ton of games but has taken so many hits that left him getting up slowly...if Nate was indeed "not ready" from the start, then we should really question the coaches for allowing him to be so close to the field from the start.

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

Maybe the point wasn't that Nate would be better than Tyrod, but that people had seen enough and knew 2016 Tryod was the best that they would see.  A non passing QB around .500 record. 

Well I certainly was sick of seeing TT check it down on third and long...

i hope Peterman is s HoFr

1 minute ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

I disagree on the "he wasn't ready week 1" argument. Even coach said he was ready when Tyrod was in concussion protocol and we thought Nate might have started. Not only that, but being the primary back up for a mobile QB who maybe hasn't missed a ton of games but has taken so many hits that left him getting up slowly...if Nate was indeed "not ready" from the start, then we should really question the coaches for allowing him to be so close to the field from the start.

Jeff Tuel started for us as a rookie and Marrone was Adamant he was ready... 

there was zero chance he was

i think Peterman came into the league with a knowledge of NFL offenses and ready to go as a backup...

hence why he won the backup job

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well I certainly was sick of seeing TT check it down on third and long...

i hope Peterman is s HoFr

Jeff Tuel started for us as a rookie and Marrone was Adamant he was ready... 

there was zero chance he was

i think Peterman came into the league with a knowledge of NFL offenses and ready to go as a backup...

hence why he won the backup job

I hear ya, that's a nice comparison. I just don't believe the wait had more to do with Peterman's development as much as it was Tyrod's lack of progression. Arguably he got a little better at pocket passing, but not nearly enough to justify sticking with him. I think Peterman is pretty much the same guy he was since preseason, with a bit more knowledge from watching the past 9 weeks.

30 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

You've seen Gruden's contract with ESPN?

No, but my friends work on the show and I work in TV Production and quite familiar with this world.  

PS:  The first rule of reality TV is that none of it is based in reality or is real.  

1 minute ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

I hear ya, that's a nice comparison. I just don't believe the wait had more to do with Peterman's development as much as it was Tyrod's lack of progression. Arguably he got a little better at pocket passing, but not nearly enough to justify sticking with him. I think Peterman is pretty much the same guy he was since preseason, with a bit more knowledge from watching the past 9 weeks.

Im 100% certain that Peterman must be improving by leaps and bounds in practice 

he must really be in the zone 

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No, but my friends work on the show and I work in TV Production and quite familiar with this world.  

PS:  The first rule of reality TV is that none of it is based in reality or is real.  

I won't argue that reality TV isn't real. My question was whether Gruden is under contractual obligation to only say nice things about NFL quarterbacks on ESPN.

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Im 100% certain that Peterman must be improving by leaps and bounds in practice 

he must really be in the zone 

I don't want to say he isn't, but again, it's not because he wasn't ready from week 1 if needed. It was 100% because Tyrod was the vet, voted as Captain. Heck...that's part of why trash TJ Yates was the #2 to start camp. They valued the vet aspect. Peterman took the spot by showing what he's got from the start. They aren't blind. They had to know all along the guy who can throw quick passes in tight windows is a better fit for this O. They just had to wait till Tyrod proved he absolutely can't play NFL QB.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Here is a fun game:  Find any one QB...just one...that went on Grudens QB Camp show where he gave them a weak or bad review.  

Its a puff piece segment, he loves all the guys on the show.  Agent's will NOT let any of their players go on that show if there is a possibility it could hurt their draft stock.  He has to a rosy piece on every single player otherwise no one would do the show, thats the nature of TV.  

And he's had massive love affairs beyond normal of guys like Tebow and Manziel too.  

It's sort of true. They credited him at one point for liking Russell Wilson. 

He he also liked EJ, Geno, Matt Moore, case Keemun, RG3 and and and 

I think it comes generally from being a positive guy. I tend to look for subtleties in the weaknesses he homes in on during the film segment. But there is no pattern that I've found 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

Just now, ProcessTheTrust said:

I don't want to say he isn't, but again, it's not because he wasn't ready from week 1 if needed. It was 100% because Tyrod was the vet, voted as Captain. Heck...that's part of why trash TJ Yates was the #2 to start camp. They valued the vet aspect. Peterman took the spot by showing what he's got from the start. They aren't blind. They had to know all along the guy who can throw quick passes in tight windows is a better fit for this O. They just had to wait till Tyrod proved he absolutely can't play NFL QB.

Thats typically how NFL camps are run.

Rookies at the bottom and vets at the top...

Yates is a guy I've seen NFL scouts compare Peterman too so that was a good battle for him in camp. 

I think we pulled TT because we had back to back offensive clunkers when we couldn't...

if Peterman was playing average in practice no way they make the switch. He must be scout team MVP 

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I won't argue that reality TV isn't real. My question was whether Gruden is under contractual obligation to only say nice things about NFL quarterbacks on ESPN.

Its not that his contract will state he can "only say nice things", the verbiage in a situation like this will typically outline the focus of the segment and the show.  More likely details focusing on the strengths of their game and Gruden presenting them with advice and tips on how to elevate their game at the next level of find success.  The show is 100% dead if he ever throws the QB under the bus because agents would no longer allow their prospects to appear on the show.  And ESPN needs to protect the investment into the show, that segment probably costs anywhere from $400K to $600K per episode, and wouldn't surprise me if it was even more.  

If the player has had some sort of off field issue or controversy, I would assume that would be fair game to discuss and stuff.  

Again, nothing wrong with this, and they don't try and hide the fact either.  Its a showcase show, not a true evaluation piece.  I rather enjoy it, and Gruden is a guy I do like.  But the whole point is you can't put too much stock into it as the end all be all because he is only going to really present half the story.  

For the record, I like Peterman, so not making these comments to discredit positive comments on Peterman, just pointing out Grudens comments are and will always be an incomplete assessment of any prospect from his show due to the nature of his show.

Edited by Alphadawg7