Jon Gruden

JoshBarnett

To the OP  Others   (Yeah its only Mwl K)

Mel Kiper Jr.Football analyst 

New Bills starter Nathan Peterman doesn't have elite physical traits, but he was highly efficient in his two seasons at Pitt (47 TD passes and only 15 INTs). At 6-foot-2, 225 pounds, his hand size will suit him to the cold weather in Buffalo. The comp I used before the draft was Trent Green, who started more than 100 games in the NFL. I thought Peterman might go as high as the second round in the draft, but he dropped all the way to the fifth.

Edwards: Peterman is 'suited to play now.'

Herm Edwards says the Bills believe rookie Nathan Peterman has a better chance to be a pocket quarterback.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21423960

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Thats typically how NFL camps are run.

Rookies at the bottom and vets at the top...

Yates is a guy I've seen NFL scouts compare Peterman too so that was a good battle for him in camp. 

I think we pulled TT because we had back to back offensive clunkers when we couldn't...

if Peterman was playing average in practice no way they make the switch. He must be scout team MVP 

Agreed, that's how things are run and that's why Taylor was the hands-down day 1 guy instead of Peterman. Isn't that the original debate....arguing whether it's asinine or not to believe Nate was ready day 1? Your point is my argument. It wasn't Peterman suddenly is ready 9 weeks later. It's that the protocol must be broken because the vet crapped the bed.

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

To the OP  Others   (Yeah its only Mwl K)

Mel Kiper Jr.Football analyst 

New Bills starter Nathan Peterman doesn't have elite physical traits, but he was highly efficient in his two seasons at Pitt (47 TD passes and only 15 INTs). At 6-foot-2, 225 pounds, his hand size will suit him to the cold weather in Buffalo. The comp I used before the draft was Trent Green, who started more than 100 games in the NFL. I thought Peterman might go as high as the second round in the draft, but he dropped all the way to the fifth.

•  
  •  
  •  
icon-espn-e-@2x.png
1d

I could live with Trent Green

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Its not that his contract will state he can "only say nice things", the verbiage in a situation like this will typically outline the focus of the segment and the show.  More likely details focusing on the strengths of their game and Gruden presenting them with advice and tips on how to elevate their game at the next level of find success.  The show is 100% dead if he ever throws the QB under the bus because agents would no longer allow their prospects to appear on the show.  And ESPN needs to protect the investment into the show, that segment probably costs anywhere from $400K to $600K per episode.  

if the player has had some sort of off field issue or controversy, I would assume that would be fair game to discuss and stuff.  

Again, nothing wrong with this, and they don't try and hide the fact either.  Its a showcase show, not a true evaluation piece.  I rather enjoy it, and Gruden is a guy I do like.  But the whole point is you can't put too much stock into it as the end all be all because he is only going to really present half the story.  

For the record, I like Peterman, so not making these comments to discredit positive comments on Peterman, just pointing out Grudens comments are and will always be an incomplete assessment of any prospect from his show due to the nature of his show.

OK I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about Monday Night Football and not his QB show. 

Just now, GoBills808 said:

OK I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about Monday Night Football and not his QB show. 

Ah...yeah Monday Night Football would be a different situation...he has fair game to evaluate players, plays, coaches, etc as he sees fit.  And I think he does a pretty good job there too.  Some of his love affairs can come through at times haha, but overall I think he is good there too.  

Was only referencing his evaluation of QB prospects appearing on his Camp segment for ESPN.

2 minutes ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

Agreed, that's how things are run and that's why Taylor was the hands-down day 1 guy instead of Peterman. Isn't that the original debate....arguing whether it's asinine or not to believe Nate was ready day 1? Your point is my argument. It wasn't Peterman suddenly is ready 9 weeks later. It's that the protocol must be broken because the vet crapped the bed.

Your point is completely valid. But it's a half truth at the NFL level

Sure Peterman could have started, but what would the outcome look like? Would we have been 5-2 at some point?

maybe, maybe not 

but it I do know for a fact is that he has learned A LOT all season sitting and learning from the bench and in practice 

he is probably 2x the QB he was in August/September

Hopefully he improves daily like young QBs should

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Your point is completely valid. But it's a half truth at the NFL level

Sure Peterman could have started, but what would the outcome look like? Would we have been 5-2 at some point?

maybe, maybe not 

but it I do know for a fact is that he has learned A LOT all season sitting and learning from the bench and in practice 

he is probably 2x the QB he was in August/September

Hopefully he improves daily like young QBs should

We're both locked on our opinions. I'll end on fully agreeing with you hoping he does keep improving, perhaps enough to make us spend our top picks on solidifying other needs to become legit contenders!

1 minute ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

We're both locked on our opinions. I'll end on fully agreeing with you hoping he does keep improving, perhaps enough to make us spend our top picks on solidifying other needs to become legit contenders!

Well that's the goal. To get better everyday 

in high school, college and NFL.

if you get stagnant there is ALWAYS SOMEBODY coming for your job

because they get better everyday...

the best thing a football coach ever told me was "champions are made when nobody is looking."

its The truth in football 

I'm just looking for a solid outing. A mixture of throws as well as the abilty to continue ot hit the quick passes while and not having to check down too often..From there its how he grows an dhow he reacts ot teams that now have tape on his tendecies. Does he adapt or does he get stuck in a rut ?

He's shown enough to at least be a little excited ot see

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Here is a fun game:  Find any one QB...just one...that went on Grudens QB Camp show where he gave them a weak or bad review.  

Its a puff piece segment, he loves all the guys on the show.  Agent's will NOT let any of their players go on that show if there is a possibility it could hurt their draft stock.  He has to a rosy piece on every single player otherwise no one would do the show, thats the nature of TV.  

And he's had massive love affairs beyond normal of guys like Tebow and Manziel too.  

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Basing anything on Gruden's QB Camp sessions with any prospect is not advisable since he loves them all. 

I am guessing that Gruden invites the guys that he already likes to appear on the show. 

I happen to love the QB camp show.  Also, he does offer constructive advice to a lot of these guys. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well I certainly was sick of seeing TT check it down on third and long...

i hope Peterman is s HoFr

Jeff Tuel started for us as a rookie and Marrone was Adamant he was ready... 

there was zero chance he was

i think Peterman came into the league with a knowledge of NFL offenses and ready to go as a backup...

hence why he won the backup job

Young signal callers need confidence, what did you expect Marrone to say? " Tuels not ready, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed, so here goes nothing"

Building confidence is a big part of a coaches job in my humble opinion.

Just now, Figster said:

Young signal callers need confidence, what did you expect Marrone to say? " Tuels not ready, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed, so here goes nothing"

Building confidence is a big part of a coaches job in my humble opinion.

You are exactly correct. That was my point

people are pointing to McDermott saying he's been ready as a sign he could've played all along

i just think he's confidence boosting.

its not that i don't think he is ready... I think he is just getting a whole bunch of confidence boosters this week

i hope he balls out 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You are exactly correct. That was my point

people are pointing to McDermott saying he's been ready as a sign he could've played all along

i just think he's confidence boosting.

its not that i don't think he is ready... I think he is just getting a whole bunch of confidence boosters this week

i hope he balls out 

My point is Petermans abilities will be determined on the playing field and not from a coaches mouth.

The fact Buffalo makes this change in the thick of the playoff hunt tells me the Bills coaching staff think they may have found something more in peterman then career backup and want to test the theory.

I believe they have...

11 minutes ago, Figster said:

My point is Petermans abilities will be determined on the playing field and not from a coaches mouth.

The fact Buffalo makes this change in the thick of the playoff hunt tells me the Bills coaching staff think they may have found something more in peterman then career backup and want to test the theory.

I believe they have...

Yea

i said he must be showing a lot in practice

No way they make the switch if he isn't showing promise 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I am guessing that Gruden invites the guys that he already likes to appear on the show. 

I happen to love the QB camp show.  Also, he does offer constructive advice to a lot of these guys. 

I'm of this very opinion.  He only invites/given a handful of prospects - so they're already presumed to be the best of that class.  Within the show is him showing film of the good and bad and gives them advice.  Then there's a chalk board session and an outside session.  He also gives them an opportunity to answer some negatives that already being said about them, ie, some say you're only a mobile QB, some say you don't have the arm strength, some say you can't operate under center, some say you weren't asked to read defenses, etc.  It gives the viewer an opportunity to make their own opinion even though it always ends up with Gruden being positive overall about the player.  

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Here is a fun game:  Find any one QB...just one...that went on Grudens QB Camp show where he gave them a weak or bad review.  

Its a puff piece segment, he loves all the guys on the show.  Agent's will NOT let any of their players go on that show if there is a possibility it could hurt their draft stock.  He has to a rosy piece on every single player otherwise no one would do the show, thats the nature of TV.  

And he's had massive love affairs beyond normal of guys like Tebow and Manziel too.  

Gruden is generally favorable towards most players. It’s like he doesn’t want to be too critical of anyone in case comes back.