This is why Tyrod was benched

essential

4 minutes ago, Best Player Available said:

Let's hope not. Pegula's have been great for Buffalo. their knowledge of football & hockey, their seemingly easily influenced front office moves, are suspect. Terry Pegula doesn't seem like a control freak. it's hard to see him going over his new regimes head, and showing lack of trust for the process he hired them for. 

Who's the President of the Buffalo Bills ... and the Buffalo Sabres?

1 minute ago, judman said:

I was a TT supporter. Then I went to the game against the Saints. 

My condalences......at least you can say you were at the game when the streaker ran the field....

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Foxx said:

but, but.....those of us who said exactly what Benoit said were told by the armchairs QBs here that we don't know how to look at film. what we were seeing wasn't what we were seeing. only coaches knew what they were seeing on tape.

lmao....

Frankly the "I told you so" posters are stale

its over......TT didnt fit the system.......he is a better athlete then he is a qb

Next man up....lets see what Nate's got

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, essential said:

I listen to national sports talk all day at work.  When talking about Tyrod, most on-air personalities throw out all the stats that are favorable to Tyrod (low interceptions, QBR, etc).  A lot of people don’t think those stats give a true representation.

Today, most of the national media seemed to think the benching was a mistake, again citing all the stats that many don’t feel tell the full picture.  Rodak seemed to get it, but he, like us, watch all the games, and the national media doesn’t.  Anyway, during the Russillo show today they were talking about the Tyrod benching and played an audio clip from MMQB's Andy Benoit (originally on the 9/26/2017 show, when we were 2-1 and had just beaten a Broncos team that we weren’t expected to beat).  I think these quotes sum up why Tyrod was benched.

Andy Benoit:

“There will never be a stat to capture throws that should be attempted that are not attempted, and when you put on the all 22 coaches film and you see how these plays are drawn up, every game more than any other QB in the league, Tyrod Taylor’s leaving guys open on the field un-attempted.  He’s not processing, he’s not seeing, he’s not a full field progression reader, and he’s also not an anticipation thrower, that’s a bad mix, you have to really simplify the offense and build around him.  Now, they put Taylor on the move a lot which slices the field in half, now he’s only reading half the field, that’s a very specific way to play though, and the more specific you are the easier you become to game plan against.  So my guess is they’re ganna keep their eyes very much open for a quarterback, not this season, but heading into the offseason and moving forward.”

Then as a follow up on the Benoit clip, Todd McShay said:

“And I can tell you one thing, nothing will drive an offensive staff crazier than seeing something that they drew up, an opportunity for big play, and your quarterback didn’t take advantage of it, and I think that’s part of what’s going on here, and exactly what he’s saying is that, they’re getting guys open, they’re scheming the right way, they’re doing things, and he’s not seeing it, and that drives you nuts, because it makes you look bad as a coordinator, and ultimately as a head coach.”

And then Will Cain chimed in with this:

“That doesn’t show up in the numbers, it won’t even show up on a casual viewing on a Sunday, you’ll only know that when you know the game plan and what’s supposed to be happening on each individual play.”

I transcribed this myself so I might have missed a word or two here or there.  The information for the podcast is below, the entire segment is worth a listen.

If you want to hear the entire discussion it’s hour one of today’s show (11/15/2017):

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/podcast/archive/_/id/3028618

Direct mp3 link:

http://play.podtrac.com/espn-theryenrussilloshow/c.espnradio.com/audio/3425347/russillo_2017-11-15-141847.64k.mp3

Andy Benoit quote: 15:22-16:24

Full segment on Tyrod: 10:52-18:54

All accurate...all makes sense and agree that this is not only the biggest issue with TT, but also the reason they are making the change.  

I stated in another thread that there were 2 take aways from the mop up duty by Peterman against the Saints, one on each side of the fence.

1. Dont put too much stock in mop up duty in an unwindable game with no D starters and soft scheme just there to keep people healthy and run out the clock.
  2. Dont underestimate the quick drop and fire ability and confidence Peterman showed.  

While never good to over value mop up duty where there is little effort to really stop the offense, the key take away is what Peterman both effectively showed the ability and confidence to drop back and fire, something TT does not do well.  That to me was the moment the TT seat really heated up.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

B-b-but Bomani Jones and Shawn King said Taylor was demoted because racism! Jones said Taylor and Kirk Cousins (3rd in the NFL in passing yards) are "very comparable as passers"!

Is this a direct quote about the racism? That's insane! They said "Taylor was demoted because of racism."?

37 minutes ago, unclepete said:

Good info. I’m still against the benching. We could have traded him at the deadline or next year. We could have gave him a year but let him walk. This just reeks of a front office that drafted a guy and want to play him. I don’t want another staff loyal to a guy and refusing to make a change. If we don’t draft a QB next year it’ll be because of a commitment to Peterman. And if Peterman struggles the coaching staff will lose the team. Maybe Tyrod was missing open guys. But gambling a competitive season on a rookie is unforgivable if he fails. 

Tyrod is an average to above average QB. He’s David Garrard. He’s a reflection of how good the team is. In a weak AFC we can make the playoffs with him. Now I’m not sure. 

Not even close dude. What many of us have known for a long time now, along with Benoit, McShay and Cain was confirmed today by McDermott and I'm sure not only McDermott but Dennison, TPegs and many others over at 1 Bills Dr also. 

44 minutes ago, essential said:

I listen to national sports talk all day at work.  When talking about Tyrod, most on-air personalities throw out all the stats that are favorable to Tyrod (low interceptions, QBR, etc).  A lot of people don’t think those stats give a true representation.

Today, most of the national media seemed to think the benching was a mistake, again citing all the stats that many don’t feel tell the full picture.  Rodak seemed to get it, but he, like us, watch all the games, and the national media doesn’t.  Anyway, during the Russillo show today they were talking about the Tyrod benching and played an audio clip from MMQB's Andy Benoit (originally on the 9/26/2017 show, when we were 2-1 and had just beaten a Broncos team that we weren’t expected to beat).  I think these quotes sum up why Tyrod was benched.

Andy Benoit:

“There will never be a stat to capture throws that should be attempted that are not attempted, and when you put on the all 22 coaches film and you see how these plays are drawn up, every game more than any other QB in the league, Tyrod Taylor’s leaving guys open on the field un-attempted.  He’s not processing, he’s not seeing, he’s not a full field progression reader, and he’s also not an anticipation thrower, that’s a bad mix, you have to really simplify the offense and build around him.  Now, they put Taylor on the move a lot which slices the field in half, now he’s only reading half the field, that’s a very specific way to play though, and the more specific you are the easier you become to game plan against.  So my guess is they’re ganna keep their eyes very much open for a quarterback, not this season, but heading into the offseason and moving forward.”

“And I can tell you one thing, nothing will drive an offensive staff crazier than seeing something that they drew up, an opportunity for big play, and your quarterback didn’t take advantage of it, and I think that’s part of what’s going on here, and exactly what he’s saying is that, they’re getting guys open, they’re scheming the right way, they’re doing things, and he’s not seeing it, and that drives you nuts, because it makes you look bad as a coordinator, and ultimately as a head coach.”

“That doesn’t show up in the numbers, it won’t even show up on a casual viewing on a Sunday, you’ll only know that when you know the game plan and what’s supposed to be happening on each individual play.”

I transcribed this myself so I might have missed a word or two here or there.  The information for the podcast is below, the entire segment is worth a listen.

If you want to hear the entire discussion it’s hour one of today’s show (11/15/2017):

Direct mp3 link:

http://play.podtrac.com/espn-theryenrussilloshow/c.espnradio.com/audio/3425347/russillo_2017-11-15-141847.64k.mp3

Here is a problem to those arguments.... 

1. What about past years ?  Is that how he processed plays in prior years???

2. Was there a knife on his throat if he threw picks by taking vhsnces???

3. He had woids, sammy and others he used to throw to. In game 3 he has only Clay snd McCoy from paSt seasons that he threw yo abd had built up some knowledge of there reads and timing.

4. Defense knew they lost the receivers and with no deep threat they could cheat with 9 in the box playing the run, qb runs, and short passing.

I could accept an argument of starting a rookie qb because they were playing against the firmer coach/of who knew tyrod.

If they want to give him a trial...start with werk 13.

10 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Frankly the "I told you so" posters are stale

its over......TT didnt fit the system.......he is a better athlete then he is a qb

Next man up....lets see what Nate's got

John, 12 hours is stale?

i'll tell you what was stale, 2 and one half years being beaten over the head by the cult of Tyrod. that is the very definition of stale. you'll have to excuse a little vindication and by no means does 12 hours equate anywhere near 2 and one half years.

32 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

B-b-but Bomani Jones and Shawn King said Taylor was demoted because racism! Jones said Taylor and Kirk Cousins (3rd in the NFL in passing yards) are "very comparable as passers"!

They said what???  Geezus...surprised the race card was played so quick.  I do think Tyrod had a much shorter leash at times with the fan base than some other white QB's have had who were far worse and less effective than Taylor.  So if someone wanted to argue that Tyrod faced a higher level of scrutiny by the fans because he wasn't white, I honestly wouldn't protest that statement even though I don't really feel strongly either way about it.  

But to apply that logic to a football decision is absolutely absurd.  They could have moved on from TT from the get go if that played a role in how they felt about him, what an ignorant and irresponsible thing for a journalist to even suggest.  Bunch of idiots Bomani and King are for saying that.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Agreed.  I don't think McDermott would have said unequivocally that Taylor was his starter one day and then turn around and name Peterman.  Coaches don't do that kind of thing unless somebody forces them to do it.   He would have left the issue up in the air, but he didn't.  Then he does a 180 turn.  I'm sure that (his about face)  will improve the atmosphere in the locker room 300%. (That's sarcasm for the literal minded.)

That's the one place Coach kinda got turned around a bit and I'm surprised the media in the room didn't pounce on it (well not really I guess).  Since day one the entire front office and coaches, etc have been proclaiming were all in this together and such.  To think that he benched his starting QB without consulting his OC is ridiculous - of course the OC had input in the decision.  I'd be more concerned if he didn't but it is pretty obvious he did.  We need to know going into the draft next year if NP is starter material or back-up as it has been decided that TT is not gonna work out.

Bottom line, TT doesn't fit what the new staff, with 5 year contracts in hand, want to do going forward so he's gone.  Good guy, I wish him well, but this needed to be done.  It was clear TT was just a placeholder QB and I predict we draft a QB, no matter what NP does for the rest of the games and get a vet for camp and let them battle it out.

Yes we all saw it for a long while, and of course it was so much on display in the last 2 games, where TT wouldn't even risk an INT to get some points when BEHIND on the score. But he also had awesome improvising strength that does the opposite and make some OC look good. He's a unique mix of glaring weaknesses and very efficient strong points.

But you can't be a starting QB for 2.5 years in the NFL, have been in the league for almost 7 years, and still see little of the field, almost never throw with anticipation, never audible... WTH! I was a big supporter but he barely improved, and even regressed in some areas. Dennison and Catillo are to blame too though! More than him. But since he was gone anyway with the way his contract his made, the time to test Peterman is now.

And for all that has been said of Tyrod's strength and shortfalls, he might still be better than NP! Hopefully not as it'd mean this season is over. We'll find out Sunday. One thing is sure, NP has more ceiling, more upside.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, djp14150 said:

Here is a problem to those arguments.... 

1. What about past years ?  Is that how he processed plays in prior years???

2. Was there a knife on his throat if he threw picks by taking vhsnces???

3. He had woids, sammy and others he used to throw to. In game 3 he has only Clay snd McCoy from paSt seasons that he threw yo abd had built up some knowledge of there reads and timing.

4. Defense knew they lost the receivers and with no deep threat they could cheat with 9 in the box playing the run, qb runs, and short passing.

I could accept an argument of starting a rookie qb because they were playing against the firmer coach/of who knew tyrod.

If they want to give him a trial...start with werk 13.

What good would starting him week 13 do?  3 games is not enough to make any determination on his potential future.  No more!  Let's find out now if he's got the goods so we can go into the draft with that extra info.  Would love to spend those draft picks on other areas of need on the team, namely just about every other position on the team.

59 minutes ago, essential said:

Andy Benoit:

Direct mp3 link:

And this is exactly what I was saying in the Dennison thread. :thumbsup: But blame him all you want. You're about to witness a QB, a rookie QB, execute this offense better than Tyrod.