Sal C on WGR about QB position 2018

Just now, Dablitzkrieg said:

As long as Taylor is gone, I don't care 

I don't know if I could get excited about a 2018 season with Taylor brought back as starter.  Of course unless he does a 180 in the next 7 games but I think that is very unlikely.

He limits us in the passing game so much and it's tiring to see.

28 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Still thinks Tyrod will finish the season, barring injury or elimination from playoffs.  Can't make the switch now while still in playoff contention.  Mainly because if Peterman struggles, you can't go back to Tyrod.  

Why the bolded? In every other sport, starters can be benched for a spell, but NFL QB is sacrosanct . I mean even a position as mentally dependant as goalie gets subbed out for the hot guy or when the starter is in a slump..penquins won a freaking Stanley Cup switching out goalies last year.

I just dont get it, it more of established football think that i believe is just all wrong, but has taken hold as the only way to do things

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

Why the bolded? In every other sport, starters can be benched for a spell, but NFL QB is sacrosanct . I mean even a position as mentally dependant as goalie gets subbed out for the hot guy or when the starter is in a slump..penquins won a freaking Stanley Cup switching out goalies last year.

I just dont get it, it more of established football think that i believe is just all wrong, but has taken hold as the only way to do things

Probably because the football season is only 16 games.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'll be honest...with the way the 2018 draft class has basically undelivered and myself, being high on Peterman this past draft....I wouldn't be upset.

I would have given up a 3rd for Peterman and was really happy when we got him in the 5th.  

I pegged him as a 3rd rounder but I would have been comfortable taking him in the 2nd. Obviously I was way off on the draft projection, I couldn’t believe we got him not only in the 5th but with our second pick in the 5th. But he’s actually shown more than every QB drafted before him, except of course Deshaun Watson. Even Trubisky the #2 overall pick hasn’t looked as good as Peterman. QB scouts have no idea what they’re doing.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

I agree.  I'm not sure why it is so taboo in football when in literally every other sport you can sub in someone else if they have the hot hand.  I would even be ok with a 2 QB system.  Tyrod has a unique skill set to run the ball and option but Peterman is a MUCH better passer.  I'd start Peterman and bring in Tyrod every now and then to run the ball or even just the threat of him running the ball

In a perfect world it would be nice to draft a high end QB in the first and then let Peterman start and look competent, then throw in the first rounder the next year and if he looks like hes the real deal you can then parlay the potential of Peterman with a solid year under his belt for a bounty of picks.

Edited by Woodman19

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

I agree.  I'm not sure why it is so taboo in football when in literally every other sport you can sub in someone else if they have the hot hand.  I would even be ok with a 2 QB system.  Tyrod has a unique skill set to run the ball and option but Peterman is a MUCH better passer.  I'd start Peterman and bring in Tyrod every now and then to run the ball or even just the threat of him running the ball

I actually get why it's difficult to change in game based on practice reps etc, but why can't you replace a player that is performing poorly to see if another player can perform better? Is a QBs mental makeup that fragile?

6 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Sorry man but IMO Tyrod is no threat anymore, that ship has sailed.

IMO It's like little league baseball if you ever played it. IMO Tyrod is now like the slow kid that everyone moves up to the infield for when at bat challenging him to hit it over their heads knowing he just cant do it.

Edited by xRUSHx

if they don't put peterman in before we go down 3 scores in la., then this staff is throwing the season away. this is a must win game.

now for my tin foil hat....i can't accept that the team played so bad these past 2 weeks because they've been figured out,exposed etc.

there's gotta be more going on behind the scenes. if your a rec. or olineman, how are you not outraged about a qb that''s flatout killing this teams chances.

if your on defense playing your guts out and still get stuck on the field for 45, you gotta get sick of the 3 and outs. peterman is every thing tyrod is not and i expect him to see time in la.

we heard about the players and coaches getting together to discuss the run game, well i'd like to be a fly on the wall in that locker room.

13 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

i think this makes a lot of sense.

Edited by billsredneck1

If the Bills don't use a high pick on a qb then the decision-makers should be charged with malfeasance. The scouting department needs to identify two or three of the top qb prospects and then the organization should maneuver to be in position to pick one of them. As someone else has stated I see Peterman as a Reich type of player i.e. a good backup. If he turns out to be better than expected then the competition increases. That is a good situation. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

If the Bills don't use a high pick on a qb then the decision-makers should be charged with malfeasance. The scouting department needs to identify two or three of the top qb prospects and then the organization should maneuver to be in position to pick one of them. As someone else has stated I see Peterman as a Reich type of player i.e. a good backup. If he turns out to be better than expected then the competition increases. That is a good situation. 

You draft from you what's available not what's wanted.  EJ Manual was trying to draft a Franchise QB that wasn't there, I would rather get a good player regardless of position.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Mainly because if Peterman struggles, you can't go back to Tyrod.  

Why can't they go back to Tyrod?

Is he like their girlfriend?

Once they jilt her, they can't get her back?

I am so sick of this stupid, absolute horse crap superstition and smokescreen the NFL throws up around the QB spot.. They have two player under contract that can use them as needed period.

If they are AFRAID to, ok. They should just say that they are afraid. But they certainly can do it.

46 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Jmo they should keep Taylor (he is signed for next year) and draft a QB in the 1st. Open competition in OTAs and camp - understand TT might be 1st on depth chart to begin with but I don’t think he should be handed the job. If NP wins the job, so be it. TT will be gone in 2019 and you have NP and 1st rounder from 2018, maybe even draft another QB in 2019... go from there. This regime knows their biggest responsibility is finding a QB. I highly doubt they don’t draft one high this year. 

the problem with having Taylor on  the roster is you might play him. 

5 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

You draft from you what's available not what's wanted.  EJ Manual was trying to draft a Franchise QB that wasn't there, I would rather get a good player regardless of position.

EJ Manuel was a fourth round talent that was taken in the first round. It represented organizational ineptitude. 

The Bills have been without a legitimate franchise qb for almost a quarter century. If you are not aggressive in addressing the most important position then this organization will continue on with another generation of failure. Ask the Rams if they are happy that they were aggressive in getting Goff? Ask the Eagles if they are happy that they were aggressive in drafting Wentz? If you are a systemic failure and continue doing what you  usually do then the outcome is predictable. Being stupid is one thing; but being perpetually stupid is even dumber. 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Sal believes, just his opinion and not inside info.....he believes Nathan Peterman has entered the conversation for our 2018 QB.

He believed during draft time that they made all these moves to get their QB in 2018.  That still could be the case but believes that the coaching staff has liked Peterman's development so far.

Still thinks Tyrod will finish the season, barring injury or elimination from playoffs.  Can't make the switch now while still in playoff contention.  Mainly because if Peterman struggles, you can't go back to Tyrod.  

So how would you guys feel if they decide not to go QB high in the draft because the coaching staff feels pretty good about Peterman?

This is inconsistent with what i had heard (but admittedly my info is about 2 months old). At the time though it was the opposite, they were not happy with Peterman’s development. I hope that’s changed and he has taken steps. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Jmo they should keep Taylor (he is signed for next year) and draft a QB in the 1st. Open competition in OTAs and camp - understand TT might be 1st on depth chart to begin with but I don’t think he should be handed the job. If NP wins the job, so be it. TT will be gone in 2019 and you have NP and 1st rounder from 2018, maybe even draft another QB in 2019... go from there. This regime knows their biggest responsibility is finding a QB. I highly doubt they don’t draft one high this year. 

Welp, that aged well :blink:

• Haha (+1) 1