Tyrod' Trade Value

Dkollidas

By the end of the season, if management decides to move on, what would his trade value be? Or would it be easier to just let him go? I would figure he'd have trade value, just not sure of the cap ramifications if they traded him as opposed to cutting him.

I'd figure a team like Jacksonville, Arizona, or even Cleveland might offer a 2nd Round Pick if he became available. 

2nd round pick? Not a chance. We'd be lucky to see a 4th. As I understand it, prior to accepting a $10M pay cut to stay with the Bills, his agent was on the phones, trying to see who coveted his client. No team was gaga over TT.

You simply cut him. You waste some dead cap space but overall save approx $9.6 million by doing so. You draft a kid with that #1 pick and/or trade up even higher with a combination of picks. A healthy chunk of the money you save goes right to the new kids contract. I dont see TT starting anywhere next year. As a backup he may make $5 million tops - I highly doubt anyone would match the Bills current contract with TT...

Smart money would retain him for a discount, after Peterman Beata him out. Also, work him into a mixed offense with Peterman.

I mean, straight up subbing a QB would be cool.

Edited by Paulus

6 hours ago, Dkollidas said:

By the end of the season, if management decides to move on, what would his trade value be? Or would it be easier to just let him go? I would figure he'd have trade value, just not sure of the cap ramifications if they traded him as opposed to cutting him.

I'd figure a team like Jacksonville, Arizona, or even Cleveland might offer a 2nd Round Pick if he became available. 

2 nd rd???

You might get something in a trade.  He is one of the 32 best Quarterbacks in the league and a team who doesn't want to enter a scrum should he become a FA could sling something your way.  I'm thinking maybe a 4th?

It ONLY becomes an option though if Peterman gets in this year and proves himself capable.  If he doesn't then the Bills roll with TT for a year as the bridge / backup to their rookie.  

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

It ONLY becomes an option though if Peterman gets in this year and proves himself capable.  If he doesn't then the Bills roll with TT for a year as the bridge / backup to their rookie.  

I look at it this way based on scenarios people offer from their "inside sources" 

IF they are drafting a QB in the first AS their future, then why keep Tentative Taylor?  Throw in the 2nd year guy, and IF you want experience get a knowledgeable journeyman for QB coach. 

But what do I know?  (rhetorical statement people) 

3 minutes ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

a 4th for TT would work pretty well.  but teams will simply wait for him to be released , which could easily happen after the draft

Possibly.  But there are always a number of teams looking for that bridge guy.  The "right now" rather than the "right".  This last year for example it was the Broncos and the Browns and the 49ers and the Jets.  Tyrod will be the lead player in that market next offseason, probably along with whichever 2 of the 3 Quarterback Kids don't get signed in Minnesota.  

I disagree with most of the posters here.  I'm pretty sure Tyrod Taylor does have trade value around the league.

Despite what some fans claim, there are actually a lot of great qualities about Taylor.  He's easily the most mobile quarterback in the league, and a dangerous weapon that defenses must always account for.  He almost never turns the ball over.  He is a hard worker and great teammate. 

Many Bills fans only want to know "Is he a franchise quarterback?"  If the answer is no, they are ready to move on to the next guy.  And I can't blame them for that mentality.  But the franchise QB pile in this league is very small.  Teams looking for quality passers run out of options pretty quickly.  That's why mediocre guys like Ryan Tannehill get massive extensions.  That's why free agents who have done nothing like Mike Glennon get huge contracts.  That's why teams will trade two drafts worth of picks for a strong prospect.  That's why journeymen like Josh McCown and Ryan Fitzpatrick are never short of work.

Taylor's cap hit in 2018 is relatively small (just over $8 million).  Once the dust clears on free agency and the draft, I could see some teams getting desperate.  Assuming the Bills land their guy, and assuming they like Nathan Peterman to step into the backup role next year... there may be a market for Taylor.  I wouldn't anticipate it going higher than a Day 2 pick, but the idea that nobody could possibly want him is foolish.