The playoffs - actually within reach

dave mcbride

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

In the midst of all this dismal play, let's not forget two things: the Bills have a very reasonable shot to go to 6-4 on Sunday, and they have a decent shot to make the playoffs with a 9-7 record. The loss to the Saints was embarrassing, but it *was* to an NFC team. Going into Sunday's game, that's the game that was least harmful in terms of picking up a loss. Beat LA, Miami twice, and Indy, and they're duking it out with Baltimore for the final playoff spot. There really is no one else if that happens. The Jets are out of it, Miami will be out of it if the Bills beat Miami twice, Indy and Houston are out of it, Cincy and Cleveland are out of it, the Broncos are out of it, Chargers will be out of it the Bills beat them (they'll have seven losses and lose the head to head), and the Raiders will be out of it because they will lose to NE and KC in KC. The Bills have the head to head against Oakland.

Basically, if the Bills take care of business against three teams that are really no better than them (but not much worse, if at all), they will make the playoffs if the Ravens lose to Detroit and GB. That is a huge if, of course. Below is the Ravens schedule the rest of the way. It is unfortunately very easy. If they beat GB and lose to Detroit (or vice versa) and the rest of my predictions hold, they'll go in because they'll have a better conference record (8-4) than the Bills (7-5).   You hope against hope that the Browns at home will put up a battle against them, but I wouldn't count on it.  They should beat GB, but it is in GB and it's not as if the Ravens are a great team. That said, they're coming off a bye and facing a team starting Brett Hundley.

At Green Bay (50/50)

At home against Houston (win)

At home against Detroit (50/50)

At the Steelers (loss)

At the Browns (win)

At home against Indy (win)

At home against Cincy (win)

Oh, Gawd.  I just don't want to hear it. 

First things first.  Stop the f**king run.  Put some pressure on the opposing QB.  Avoid the stupid penalties on O.  Do those things, and we might actually win a game.  Or two.  Or four.

Go on as we've gone for the last two games and there's just no point.  We no way look like a team that can beat a dead horse, much less a marine mammal.

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

After yesterday I lost all hope of playoffs. I'm afraid the Chargers may destroy us this Sunday. Maybe not as bad as the saints, but I can see a 27-13 loss this week. I've lost all confidence in Taylor 

I've lost all confidence in this defense.  I expected Tyrod to be maddeningly inconsistent although I thought his floor was higher than we saw yesterday.  This season rested squarely on the defense playing like a top 5 unit.  The Chargers might not attempt a pass and still beat us by 2 or 3 scores.

Nice post, Dave, I agree that it all depend on what happens this week in LA, we’ll see if McD can turn this around. I’m not sure about the Ravens though, they have been putrid this year and I can easily see them losing games they should win... especially if they spot the other team any kind of a lead.

As for making the playoffs and getting waxed in the first round, that doesn’t matter to me, just get there... it’d be a nice start.

39 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

There are a lot of people out there who are pretty uninformed about how crappy the AFC is this year beyond the top tier.

Did you watch any of the games against the Jests and/or Saints?  I seriously doubt it or you wouldn't have started this thread.  The Bills will be lucky to win another game this season.

Just now, SoTier said:

Did you watch any of the games against the Jests and/or Saints?  I seriously doubt it or you wouldn't have started this thread.  The Bills will be lucky to win another game this season.

Did you watch the Ravens lose 44-7 to Jacksonville? Miami lose 40-0 to Baltimore? Those are the competitors we're facing.

3 minutes ago, Rico said:

Nice post, Dave, I agree that it all depend on what happens this week in LA, we’ll see if McD can turn this around. I’m not sure about the Ravens though, they have been putrid this year and I can easily see them losing games they should win... especially if they spot the other team any kind of a lead.

As for making the playoffs and getting waxed in the first round, that doesn’t matter to me, just get there... it’d be a nice start.

Yup!! I trust you about the Ravens, of course.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Ugh. 

Extreme wishful thinking considering how overmatched they've looked the past two weeks. 

The freaking Jets dominated them. Not just beat, they DOMINATED them. 

The Bills offensive Line and front 7 have to be among the worst if not the worst in the league. 

I'm still trying to figure out how we won 5 games so far. There will be no miraculous turnaround or playoffs this year. Continue the rebuild.

Rivers has been known to be a giving man when it comes to INTs and fumbles... So you never know

The bigger issue is that the AFC is terrible this year, outside of NE. The Patriots are almost guaranteed to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl. KC isn't going to beat them when it really matters, and I don't think Brady has ever lost to the Steelers. That's about it, unless the Jags D can rough them up enough and Bortles forgets that he's Blake Bortles. Whoever finishes 5th and 6th is just cannon fodder.

But then again, that's why you play the games. Anyone can have the game of their life any week, so get into the tournament and see what happens. Baltimore could very well lose to GB, regardless of whether it's Hundley or Rogers.

Every member of the organization and every fan should be embarressd because of the  last two

non competitive games. Why would anyone want to think about playoffs when we were

outscored 81-10 (without 3 garbage time TDs) I get it, we all want better, but this team is the laughing

stock of the league now. Could they beat the Browns, 49ers or Giants now?. This was to be

expected with all the talent sent packing, and McDermott actually had the b---s to say today he

still believes in his buddy from Carolina, Mike Tolbert. 

1 minute ago, Foreigner said:

Every member of the organization and every fan should be embarressd because of the  last two

non competitive games. Why would anyone want to think about playoffs when we were

outscored 81-10 (without 3 garbage time TDs) I get it, we all want better, but this team is the laughing

stock of the league now. Could they beat the Browns, 49ers or Giants now?. This was to be

expected with all the talent sent packing, and McDermott actually had the b---s to say today he

still believes in his buddy from Carolina, Mike Tolbert. 

Because if the season ended today they'd be in the playoffs, and their primary contenders for the 6th spot have suffered equally embarrassing losses. 

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Did you watch the Ravens lose 44-7 to Jacksonville? Miami lose 40-0 to Baltimore? Those are the competitors we're facing.

Yup!! I trust you about the Ravens, of course.

Well I hope I’m right lol. Most Ravens fans I know are down on this year’s team, especially regarding Flacco/Marty M. I can see them losing this week at Lambeau if the Packers D shows up.

41 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

If we can win games that we're supposed to win, (see San Diego, vs Miami, vs Indy and at Miami) and can some how pull off a win at KC or vs NE or at NE) than I like our chances. Yet if we lose to an expected team than the playoffs are good as done. 

I'm more confident we find a way to lose one of the games were supposed to win than we pull off a win v.s. KC or NE