Don’t use “ Garbage time” excuse!

Buffalo Boy

I get that Saints won this game a few quarters before Peterman even entered the game but they were still playing.

His first couple passes were good. A first down on an out and a dump off over the middle for nine.

He muffed the third pass on what looked like a miscommunication with O’ Leary.

His fourth pass was a perfect, just missing the defender, hit his hands pass to K.Benj for a first.... which he dropped. KB does that from time to time.( Which is one reason I wasn’t excited about the pickup.)

Fourth down play he handles a low snap adeptly and gets the pitch out to the back who gets stuffed.

First drive/ 5 Plays/ 2 of 4 / 1 drop, 1 miss

Next drive

First pass / Dump off which would have netted 6 yards but results in a 15 yarder for Unnecessary Roughness. Because the Saints quit???

Second pass/ Beauty to K.Benj that hits him in stride. 21 yards. Draws accolades from announcer as best pass of the day BECAUSE it traveled more than 10(!?) yards through the air and was thrown after reading the field and finding the open man.

Third pass/ 12 yarder to K. Benj with DB on him as ball gets there. TT doesn’t take that chance.

Fourth pass/ Peterman recognizes man coverage on Thompson, looks off the safety to the left and slings it right, overthrowing him by 1 step. The Rookie reads the D Pre snap and knows to play off the safety with his eyes!!!

Fifth pass/ he gets it out over a D lineman’s hands and hits Matthews as the DB just stops and sits watching the backfield, allowing Matthews to get open. Pass hits Matthews at the 13 and allows him to get to the six because it’s not thrown too close to the sideline like a certain someone( who has great stats because he doesn’t take chances which forces  his receivers out after the catch) The ball is out before the receiver is finishing his break or has turned his head. Anticipation!!!!

Sixth pass/ Peterman stands in as left side of picket is collapsing behind him, allows O’Leary time to clear the LB and Safety on a slot route, rolls that way and hits O’ Leary the only place he could. TD. O’ Leary’s First TD.

The Saints were playing good D and these guys weren’t running free by any means. The most open was K.Benj on the 21 yarder when he got into a hole in the zone. A throw TT doesn’t  see or make. 

You want your TT. You can keep your TT.

This garbage about mailing it in or Garbage Time scoring is pathetic!!!

The only real QB on this team came in and showed why he is the guy who should be starting.

Does he win this game? Probably not. But, the Defense should actually get some rest and the score should most likely be less lopsided.

Remember back when Cassel, EJ and TT were fighting for the starting position and TT clearly caused the O to have a spark. I was an EJ guy but even I admitted they looked better under TT.

This is exactly the same. If you still have to  make excuses about the D sucking, or O line sucking, or play calling sucking, or Saints gifting it to us etc. please give it up.

Finally, I’m not calling Peterman, Montana or Brady but I am calling him competent. He was billed as the most NFL ready coming out of the draft for a reason. TT is NOT, nor EVER will be a competent starting QB in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

And the 12th thread about TT and the QB after the defense gives up 47 points and 300 yards rushing.  

TT was bad today.  The play calling was terrible after the first drive. 

The personnel decisions by McD are awful.  Why is Ducasse starting?  Why is Tolbert the second RB? Why is Demarco on the field?  Why is Lorax playing OLB?  

Why does Cordy Glenn get no criticism for missing games?

Today TT was the 15th reason they lost.  The first 7 were the entire Bills defensive front. 8th was whatever DB was opposite White. 9, 10, an 11 were McD, Rico, and Frazier.  12, 13, and 14 were Ducasse, Mills, and Dawkins.  Then you get to TT.  Yes no less than 15 other players coaches stunk it up today, but 90% of the threads are about the QB.  

This team needs to spend all four top picks next year on the lines.  

NP certainly looked confident and poised today regardless of the situation. And he threw the ball in tight windows and led WR's open which is the polar opposite of what Taylor does.

This is why I still given Dennison the benefit of the doubt (other than the unhealthy obsession with giving Tolbert valuable reps in this offense) and believe this passing game would look totally different with a competent QB under center.

13 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

well said.  When your starting QB has one pass to a WR all game, and 65 yards, that person should not be your starting QB.   TT is utterly lost out there.   At the very least, he needs to sit for a game.  

I am concerned with the lack of Tyrod getting the ball to our receivers ALL season.

I confess I turned the game off early in the 4th quarter, so I can't comment on Peterman's play based on actual observation.  I understand and appreciate the point of those making the garbage time statements.  The Saints' defense would have been different at the end of a game like that, wanting to prevent the possibility of a quick score via a long pass.  Instead, they allow the completion of shorter passes to the middle of the field.  

On your side of the issue, I think the results of Peterman's play at the end of the game shows the pro game is not too big for him.  While defensive coordinators in a different situation will throw lots of stuff at him that he's not seen live before, he is a bright QB who makes quick reads and gets the ball out of his hands with reasonable accuracy.  Some things that defenses will do may confuse him a bit initially, but I think he's likely to learn pretty quickly.  I agree, he could hardly be worse than Tyrod was today.

In other news, CJ Beathard won his first game today as QB of the 49ers.  Peterman is a better QB than Beathard.

Peterman does look promising and more and more Tyrod looks like a QB who has plateaued and doesn't have all the skills needed to be a long-term starter.  The Bills are 5-4 and in the thick of the wildcard playoff race and got there in part on Taylor not turning the ball over and doing just enough offensively with his arm and legs to win those 5 games.  Yes the defense has mostly played well this season.  I can't see the coaches giving Peterman a start until the Bills are eliminated or if there is an injury. 

What the coaches don't know yet about Peterman is if he'll turn the ball over (INT's or fumbles) in a full game and lose games that way and eliminate any playoff chance.  If that were to happen the coaches would get ripped for putting the veteran on the bench. 

8 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Peterman does look promising and more and more Tyrod looks like a QB who has plateaued and doesn't have all the skills needed to be a long-term starter.  The Bills are 5-4 and in the thick of the wildcard playoff race and got there in part on Taylor not turning the ball over and doing just enough offensively with his arm and legs to win those 5 games.  Yes the defense has mostly played well this season.  I can't see the coaches giving Peterman a start until the Bills are eliminated or if there is an injury. 

What the coaches don't know yet about Peterman is if he'll turn the ball over (INT's or fumbles) in a full game and lose games that way and eliminate any playoff chance.  If that were to happen the coaches would get ripped for putting the veteran on the bench. 

They all look "promising" until they have to play for an extended period of time. 

I have to say I am intrigued to know what Peterman would look like in a full game with a week of preparation. I did not see his plays today, this was the first game all year I turned off before it was over. But his stat line is good and I’ve seen a couple of his throws including the TD. Garbage time, sure, but he does look accurate and decisive. If we lose against the Chargers I would support giving him a shot.

I don't see the FACT that it was Garbagetime (if you don't think it was garbagetime in this blowout then feel free to make your case) but simply as a factor to be considered.

The question is simply one of what gives you the best chance of winning now and secondarily in the longer term.

Ironically, the answer to both questions is likely not start Peterman.

In the short run it seems incredibly unlikely that starting a rookie QB is going to turn a team blown out by the Saints at home and by the Jets on the road into a winner.  First off, changing QBs does nothing to stop the Saints running game from running over the Bills at will.  Getting rid of Dareus for nothing upfront had by far more impact on the run D than who got the QB start.  This is where this game was lost.  Perhaps you want to argue that Peterman would have kept pace with Brees productivity for the Saints better than Tyrod did. 

Yeah right.  Peterman opens the game with a TD drive rather than a FG drive as Tyrod did and it makes all the difference in slowing Ingram down.

Yeah right.

The true irony is that as nonsensical is the argument that going to Peterman now would be good for the Bills in the short term is that ironically, it probably would be even more harmful to Peterman's development.

Bringing Peterman in when we did today was actually the right move for his development.  Garbagetime is the perfect time to develop this rookie QB.  One of the worse things we could do for his development is to rush him in to a higher stakes situation where there is a demand for him to lead the team to victory which will not be achieved on a team whose run D is swiss cheese, where the GM and HC are more committed to building a team for the future than winning now,  and the OC has shown little ability  to consistently be productive with talented players he does have.

Garbagetime is not an excuse for  Peterman, it's a REASON.  Peterman should only play when the Bills have given up on winning the game or given up on winning this season.  This is likely how his teammates will interpret a decision by our braintrust to give up on and bench our current starting QB.

It is incredibly unlikely that a 5th round draftee rookie QB is gonna lead this team to win now.  We rushed TC into the pressure of a starting role too early to train the happy-feet out of himand likewise we were stupid in our failed effort to develop JP as we gave him more responsibility than this youngster had the ability to handle.

Throwing Peterman into a starting role difficult if not impossible for even most 1st round talented QBs to  handle is almost certainly bad for the Bills and likely would be worse for development of Peterman himself.

Even a QB as talented as Tom Brady profited from sitting for a year.  A key for smart development and training of Peterman is to let him develop the success that a good rookie can achieve in garbage time!

30 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

well said.  When your starting QB has one pass to a WR all game, and 65 yards, that person should not be your starting QB.   TT is utterly lost out there.   At the very least, he needs to sit for a game.  

This was not a preseason game. Peterman went up against good 2nd string depth players on an excellent 53 man roster. He wasn't hesitant or safe. He threw early before wr's finished their breaks. It's time for McD to pull the plug on the 3yr TT experiment and finish the season with Peterman. 

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They all look "promising" until they have to play for an extended period of time. 

Like TT?

Not much promise left to see in that one.

6 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

The Bills play the Chargers/Chiefs/Patriots next three games.

Even if Tyrod lays an egg, I don't see Peterman starting until after those three games.

Chargers are the only winnable game currently, IMO

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I have to say I am intrigued to know what Peterman would look like in a full game with a week of preparation. I did not see his plays today, this was the first game all year I turned off before it was over. But his stat line is good and I’ve seen a couple of his throws including the TD. Garbage time, sure, but he does look accurate and decisive. If we lose against the Chargers I would support giving him a shot.

My wife wanted to turn it off but I wouldn’t let her as I had a sneaking hunch this might be the game Peterman got some reps.

I admit I wasn’t actively watching the last 20 minutes until he came in. It was brutal:(