Give Peterman the start vs. the Chargers - and -

Punt75

I am a Tyrod fan, i have defended his style and play a good amount.  This is by far his worst performance.  Idk what happened but he looks lost right now.  I think a QB change could be the only thing that saves the season.  Hard to play defense when the offense cant move the ball 10 yards.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

I wish I knew what the OC and HC are trying to do with the offense.  I think they want a pocket passer;  however, they should let Tyrod be Tyrod.  Unleash the beast.  While I don't think this is a sustainable formula;  however, it's what TT does best.  A moving TT gives us a chance against LAC and KC.  

I think they are looking for a player to fit their system, not them creating a system around a player.  If he doesn't fit what they are trying to do...a change will be made

1 hour ago, jaybee said:

I dont think we'll see Nate until we are all but mathematically eliminated.  JMO.  Personally I'd love to see him get a crack at it as I "think" Tyrod is topped out.  Tyrod has all the tools but he's just not very consistent.

I think you are correct, but that would be terrible coaching.  We know TT's ceiling, and it is NOT enough.  Peterman may not be good either, but TT cannot lead us to the playoffs.  

51 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I am a Tyrod fan, i have defended his style and play a good amount.  This is by far his worst performance.  Idk what happened but he looks lost right now.  I think a QB change could be the only thing that saves the season.  Hard to play defense when the offense cant move the ball 10 yards.

This is exactly it. He looks completely flustered and confused. 

Tyrod is done. I think the team has quit on him. He's never shown any level of leadership or trying to pump up his players. He's like a zombie. Never see anger, emotion or any indication of trying to inspire his teammates. He's just a very fast and athletic backup qb scared to death to take chances.

2 hours ago, JM2009 said:

Tyrod has a bad day. #Bills might have already made long term decision on him But don’t think they are ready to turn it over to Peterman. Plus benching Taylor let’s OLine off hook for brutal 2 weeks. And remember, Tyrod doesn’t play defense

He may as well be equally responsible for the defensive showing, because his terrible play consistently forced them back on the field moments after they just got off! After suffering for 5+ minutes of getting pounded, they immediately get thrown right back in without even a breather because Tyrod can't complete anything but a dump pass to a RB on 3rd & long (or really any other time). After using all of 1:30, the defense goes right back out there, yet again, to get bludgeoned by the Saints for long, extended drives.

If Tyrod could you know, throw for more than 56 yards all game, maybe, just maybe, the defense wouldn't have been out there so damn much. But the Saints offense was given so many opportunities to get right back on the field and continue imposing their will because the Bills offense never stayed on the field. The second the Saints scored, they knew just moments later they were going to get to do it all over again, as it's too much to ask for Tyrod to even TRY to throw the ball to the first down marker.

7 hours ago, JM2009 said:

Tyrod has a bad day. #Bills might have already made long term decision on him But don’t think they are ready to turn it over to Peterman. Plus benching Taylor let’s OLine off hook for brutal 2 weeks. And remember, Tyrod doesn’t play defense

Offensive line was not terrible yesterday. This was not like Jets game at all. 

I’ve been a Tyrod defender but he’s earning his way off the field. Sadly I doubt Peterman is the answer. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

15 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Offensive line was not terrible yesterday. This was not like Jets game at all. 

I’ve been a Tyrod defender but he’s earning his way off the field. Sadly I doubt Peterman is the answer. 

I think a lot of Tyrod defenders (myself included) are conceding that Tyrod is not good enough to take this team to the playoffs.  Yet alone the Superbowl.  Our defense the last two weeks has proven this is not a playoff contender when you know the run is coming and you still can't stop it.  I see no reason not to start Peterman to see if he's a potential franchise QB or a career backup before next year's draft.  It may even give this team a spark.

9 hours ago, Punt75 said:

If our Offensive Line is that bad then we need a QB who has a quick release.  Tyrod doesn't have that and constantly drifts too deep in the pocket.  He throws a 15 yard completion but the catch is made at the line of scrimmage!!  Peterman gets the ball out quickly.  I think the O-Line and receivers appreciate that.  Maybe he isn't the QB of the future but the team overall needs a different offensive look.  IF Peterman falters vs. the Chargers bring Tyrod in and let him be a hero to win the game!

The O line flat out needs to get better but we have to make the other teams respect the pass in order to be able to run and that is not happening.  Dennison isn't fully the issue but are game plan on offense needs to be reverse.  When we pass first in games we tend to do better on offense.

8 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I think you are correct, but that would be terrible coaching.  We know TT's ceiling, and it is NOT enough.  Peterman may not be good either, but TT cannot lead us to the playoffs.  

Ive been seeing this type of comment a lot on the board.  How do we know if he's good or not?  Let him play!  We might have the next Brady?  Who knows.  But it would be typical Bills to not have a plan for him.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

I think a lot of Tyrod defenders (myself included) are conceding that Tyrod is not good enough to take this team to the playoffs.  Yet alone the Superbowl.  Our defense the last two weeks has proven this is not a playoff contender when you know the run is coming and you still can't stop it.  I see no reason not to start Peterman to see if he's a potential franchise QB or a career backup before next year's draft.  It may even give this team a spark.

I have no problem if they start Peterman at this point. Can it be worse? Absolutely. But Taylor is not the answer so why not confirm that Peterman isn’t either. Head into the off season with eyes wide open in QB search. 

10 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

I doubt they do that, but Peterman is the type of QB fit for the system. Tyrod is a square peg in a round hole, and it's not neccesarily his fault either.

Make the system fit TT, or put in the QB that fits the system.

I have had suspicions that they threw TT to the fire intentionally, so he could either become what they want him to be, or justify releasing or trading him if he's bad. 

What system fits TT?  He's as limited as limited gets.  He's not accurate and he doesn't anticipate throws well.  Show me another QB who has had as many games as he has but still can't throw an accurate intermediate ball.

• Like (+1) 2

Play Peterman. They need to find out what they've got, and TT is not going anywhere, nor is the team with him as QB.

But I suspect that this coach does not have the guts to make a change until the team is at least two games under .500.

57 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

The O line flat out needs to get better but we have to make the other teams respect the pass in order to be able to run and that is not happening.  Dennison isn't fully the issue but are game plan on offense needs to be reverse.  When we pass first in games we tend to do better on offense.

There were numerous instances yesterday when TT had plenty of time to throw from a clean pocket but couldn't figure out who to throw the ball to.  He's simply not decisive enough.  Peterman made at least 4 throws yesterday that Tyrod has never even attempted.  He just won't put the ball into a tight window and that's how you win against good teams in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

Yes, it is true that Tyrod Taylor was not the only reason that the Bills lost yesterday. The defensive line, which was once such a strength of this team before Rex came along, is now an embarrassment. 

But, back to the topic...

While Tyrod can do some things from time-to-time (with his legs) that virtually no other QB in the NFL can do, he has also proven time and again that he is incapable of even making the routine throws that any competent NFL QB should be able to make.

It was obvious that if you noticed the commentary the last two weeks from the analysts that do not regularly cover Tyrod (Romo on NBC and Barber on FOX) that they had a certain amount of disdain for him. Countless times yesterday Barber observed receivers that were "NFL open". Taylor just does not have the confidence or accuracy to throw into these tight windows, nor does he have the ability to make quick decisions and throw with anticipation. I thought Peterman looked good yesterday, especially give the limited practice reps. Obviously a small sample size, but he was doing all these things that Tyrod has proven time and time again incapable of doing. And before detractors suggest that Peterman did this in garbage time, the game had been in garbage time since early in the 3rd quarter, yet Tyrod was incapable of getting anything done.

The AFC is so weak this year that 9-7 (or possibly 8-8) gets us in as a Wild Card. Not only does that mean winning 4 of the last 7 games, but it also means beating key AFC teams. Beating the Chargers, Colts and going at least 2-4 with Miami and New England probably does it. It is pretty clear that the coaching staff is set on continuing with Taylor. If and when he falters against the Chargers (and the long West Coast trip has been a major problem for this team for years), I would hope that the coaching staff is prepared with the quick hook to move to Peterman. The season hangs in the balance next week IMHO.

1 hour ago, 2003Contenders said:

While Tyrod can do some things from time-to-time (with his legs) that virtually no other QB in the NFL can do, he has also proven time and again that he is incapable of even making the routine throws that any competent NFL QB should be able to make.

I had to stop there at this MYTH.  

59 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I had to stop there at this MYTH.  

And how exactly is this a myth?

Is your hatred for Taylor so over-the-top that you do not recognize that he has some strengths -- namely his mobility that really does set him apart from other QBs in the league?

My argument simply is that this strength does not overshadow all of the shortcomings, and it is time to move on. Especially since opposing defenses all now know how to defend him.