Derek Carr Got Hurt Over Anthem Protests

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by incompetence" - me

When did lynching end?
When did debt peonage end?  Has it ended?  (do you know what debt peonage is?)

When was the Federal Government segregated?  When was it desegregated?

The military was desegregated in the 50s the government shortly thereafter. Jim Crow wa on its last legs around then as well. Even IF you stretch it into the 60s you're talking about two maybe three generations ago! When do the excuses stop?

3 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

This is shifting the goal posts.

First the conversation was complaints about how black Americans are the subject of a disproportionate amount of policing, but once crime data was injected to explain the disproportionate amount of policing, it became about excusing the disproportionate amount crime black Americans commit because of slavery.

That's a bull **** argument built on the soft-racism of low expectations and fallacious reasoning.

Some of what black Americans deal with today is certainly a result of the legacy of slavery; but largely black Americans suffer due to cultural problems in their communities, almost all of which are tied directly to the destruction of the black family, which was a direct result of Lyndon Johnson's War on Poverty which marginalized the importance of the role of the black man in the household, and provided a monetary incentive to replace his paycheck.  This led to generations of black boys with no male role models to guide them, and has culminated in a stunning nearly 75% of all black children being born out of wedlock, which happens to be the leading indicator of inter-generational poverty.

This is hugely problematic for several reasons: 1)  handouts can't solve a problem already exacerbated by handouts, 2) handouts don't lead to wealth creation, but rather towards more handouts as a direct replacement for accumulated wealth and don't work to solve the long term problem, 3) it is neither moral nor productive to punish people who did not create the problem for the existence of the problem, 4) there is no "white privilege" there is monetary privilege, 5) public education cannot replace a steady and secure home life and caring parents, and doesn't work to serve a community whose culture doesn't place a premium on education (only roughly 60% of all black males graduate from high school).

The truth is, that this isn't a problem white people can solve for black people.  This isn't even a problem that black people can solve for black people. 

It's a problem that individuals, black or white or yellow, or brown, need to solve for themselves.  Individuals need to make the responsible life choices necessary to break the cycle of poverty, and that's not asking too much. 

Good story, but simply not true.  The dysfunction found among low-income blacks today is also found among low-income whites, particularly those who have migrated to from rural areas/small towns or from midsize cities to larger metros.  It's present in low-income Hispanic and Asian immigrant communities to some extent, and it was also found in many immigrant communities at the height of the mass immigration from southern and eastern Europe between 1890 and 1920 as well as among the "Okies" who left the Dust Bowl and trekked to California in the 1930s.  Immigration/migration has never been an easy process, and not everybody makes it.  Even among those who do make it, the process takes generations.

There are other reasons, too, but this isn't the place for the discussion. 

4 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

It's where we are as a society because we're past the point of shared values and trusting each other's motives.  There isn't anything left which binds us together.

It used to be that people were less quick to demonize others, and were willing to admit that we (largely) wanted the same things, but believed in different ways of achieving the results.  That isn't the case anymore. 

We no longer want, or believe in the same things; and certain loud sub-groups dominate and pollute the narrative, personally disparaging anyone who disagrees with them politically.  It's well past the time where being bound together as a single nation serves anyone anymore. 

Well if that's where you are at as a society then that's truly sad. :(

28 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

The military was desegregated in the 50s the government shortly thereafter. Jim Crow wa on its last legs around then as well. Even IF you stretch it into the 60s you're talking about two maybe three generations ago! When do the excuses stop?

Sorry, but not so. 

Jim Crow lasted well into the 1970s and, in some places in the South, longer.  There were multiple stories about segregated proms back in 2013 and 2014:  Segregated Proms.    Moreover, less obvious forms of racism than de jure segregation (Jim Crow) lingered in the South as well as in urban areas in the North, Midwest, and West well into the 1980s.  Buffalo's original magnet school program was an attempt to avoid mass busing after the city's BOE was found guilty of violating federal law by allowing white students to transfer out of majority black high schools on specious grounds.

Oh, yeah, the last official black lynching victim in the US was Emmitt Till who was a fifteen year old boy who was lynched in 1955 for not showing enough "respect" to a white woman/girl.

Edited by SoTier

4 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Slavery ended in the 1860s.

Literally no one is alive who remembers it. When's the statute of limitations expire on that as an excuse?

Won’t  really know. I guess the only way to know is to make you a slave. And your mother and child too. And let them live as slaves. Then we can ask your grandson how he feels about slavery. Maybe you shouldn’t make dumb comments about things you know nothing about. 

I’m getting sick of the bs on this site. Discuss football. 

Edited by nedboy7

5 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Sorry, but not so. 

Jim Crow lasted well into the 1970s and, in some places in the South, longer.  There were multiple stories about segregated proms back in 2013 and 2014:  Segregated Proms.    Moreover, less obvious forms of racism than de jure segregation (Jim Crow) lingered in the South as well as in urban areas in the North, Midwest, and West well into the 1980s.  Buffalo's original magnet school program was an attempt to avoid mass busing after the city's BOE was found guilty of violating federal law by allowing white students to transfer out of majority black high schools on specious grounds.

Question: do privately held segregated proms in one southern county and white flight to the suburbs constitute institutional racism?

5 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Won’t  really know. I guess the only way to know is to make you a slave. And your mother and child too. And let them live as slaves. Then we can ask your grandson how he feels about slavery. Maybe you shouldn’t make dumb comments about things you know nothing about. 

How about no again? Unless I missed the ruling that designated you as being the boss of everyone else...

6 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

"I'm sick of the bs on this site, but here let me add to the pile. ARRGH! Darn you everyone who has a differing opinion. Its all your fault!"

Meanwhile, on topic, Miko Grimes is an idiot and couldn't possibly have inside info. The fact that anyone in the media gives her a voice is even more idiotic.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

"Never attribute to malice, that which can be adequately explained by incompetence" - me

When did lynching end?

When did SLAVERY end? 

Jesus...  :wallbash:

4 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

Congratulations for having the dumbest post yet in this thread

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

When did lynching end?

And yet was so !@#$ing funny is that modern-day progressives are wanting to segregate everything to create instances where there are black safe spaces and white safe spaces and things like that to keep minorities away from whites because of racial inequalities and pussified sensitivities. We're going backwards with all of this **** because people have these little baby feelings and can't grow the !@#$ up

5 hours ago, joesixpack said:

When politicians and media scum are no longer able to lead simpletons around by the nose just by shrieking "raaysisss" at every turn.

So, it'll be a while.

I don't think it's possible for black people to oppress white people, sure there may be cases where black people have acted racistly against whites, sure there are cases where black people have raped, beaten, robbed and murdered us but at the end of the day we are 70% of the population and many Hispanics identify as white and they are the second largest demographic, black people are what? 13.5% of the population? In another 30 years they'll probably be fully integrated in through breeding with whites and other races. The racial disparities in this country will work itself out over time.

Sad. Race is such a touché subject. It is so easy to take things there when it involves people from different races. We need to figure it out, neither blacks or whites are going anywhere anytime soon.  We need to stop letting Miko Grimes and others pushing a selfish agenda pull us apart. Of course racism still exists, on both sides. Anyone saying it doesn’t is delaying it not existing anymore. It is better today and will get better when we all stop trying to bring it into situations it isn’t part of. 

Isn’t it great when the Bills score and for that second you couldn’t careless what that person next to you look likes and you hug or high five to celebrate? When we can carry that around everyday the world will be a different place. 

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Sad. Race is such a touché subject. It is so easy to take things there when it involves people from different races. We need to figure it out, neither blacks or whites are going anywhere anytime soon.  We need to stop letting Miko Grimes and others pushing a selfish agenda pull us apart. Of course racism still exists, on both sides. Anyone saying it doesn’t is delaying it not existing anymore. It is better today and will get better when we all stop trying to bring it into situations it isn’t part of. 

Isn’t it great when the Bills score and for that second you couldn’t careless what that person next to you look likes and you hug or high five to celebrate? When we can carry that around everyday the world will be a different place. 

Too much hate in this world for that to happen, brother, but I totally agree with you on those last few sentences. The media (both sides) leads people around like sheep, creating sharper divides and more tribalism, and most people follow right along.

On 11/10/2017 at 7:56 AM, Casey D said:

I do not find your argument persuasive.  It is the equivalent of someone saying all Republicans are racists.  Some are, but that does not mean it is the core belief of the party. 

BLM is looking for justice for African Americans in how they are treated by police compared to white people.  Showing me an extremist hot head does not prove your point that BLM is just a slimy cause against white people, any more than Charlottesville shows all Republicans are white supremacists.  

BLM has a point.  It flows from a history of slavery to Jim Crow and on-going racism in America.  Do I agree with every, or even most of what they do, no.  But they have a valid point of view if you examine all sorts of statistics on police behavior.

The fact that NFL players have the stature to draw attention to this matter does not make them hypocrites, they are using their status to make a point to help less fortunate people who are largely powerless in our system.

I know we will never agree on this, but I promise I don't think you are a racist just because we disagree.

But if he found a video of a republican saying racist things then it would be evidence that all republicans are racist. QED.

1st time I heard of her since I don't have instagram and facebook and those type of social media apps.

ButI DID watch her interview on The Breakfast Club on YouTube and thought she was a pretty real woman with her words, UNTIL, she called Buffalo "The Armpit of America".

She lost my respect right then and there.