Adolphus Washington increasing his production along DL

YoloinOhio

I'm a big believer that "elite" defenses absolutely NEED to have a great D-Line.  And right now, we just aren't getting enough production from our front 4. 

Maybe Washington has improved his game, but I'm still not seeing enough. 

This team's pass rushing has been pathetic, and the run defense has been overrated.

The heavy rotation we run helps Run Defense. But ultimately HURTS the pass rush. Because it is less time for the DEs to run their chess match and set up moves and counter moves 

Hughes needs that he is a primary speed rusher. He needs to have snaps over and over to set up the OT for his counter moves 

20 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

The heavy rotation we run helps Run Defense. But ultimately HURTS the pass rush. Because it is less time for the DEs to run their chess match and set up moves and counter moves 

Hughes needs that he is a primary speed rusher. He needs to have snaps over and over to set up the OT for his counter moves 

Sean McDermott always had a rotation in Carolina and it didn't hurt their pass rush.

In his 6 seasons, the Panthers finished in sacks: 2nd, 6th, 13th, 1st, 9th and 25th.  

The Bills used a rotation under Schwartz in 2014 and we finished 1st.

I think fresh bodies helps both in the run and the pass.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

He's definitely played better as of late, but my greatest hope for him is that he's their DT3 next year behind two new starters.  In fact, he and Worthy would be a fine backup tandem provided they're playing behind 2 bona fide starters.

Why DT3?  He was touted as having starting talent when drafted.  Maybe it’s the normal draft day hype but the best scenario is that he develops into a solid starter.  Keep in mind Kyle will likely retire soon.  We are not likely to pick up two starting DT’s in one draft.  DT has gone from a position of strength on the roster to one in deep need quickly.  Maybe (and hopefully) Kyle sneaks in one or two more seasons.  It’s hard to imagine he plays beyond this.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Why DT3?  He was touted as having starting talent when drafted.  Maybe it’s the normal draft day hype but the best scenario is that he develops into a solid starter.  Keep in mind Kyle will likely retire soon.  We are not likely to pick up two starting DT’s in one draft.  DT has gone from a position of strength on the roster to one in deep need quickly.  Maybe (and hopefully) Kyle sneaks in one or two more seasons.  It’s hard to imagine he plays beyond this.

I say DT3 purely based on my original draft evaluation of him and my continuing evaluation from that point.

I don't see a guy that can be successful playing above 40% of the team's snaps.

Interesting article about Washington at the Bills Wire today:

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/11/08/podcast-bills-adolphus-washington-rips-rex-ryan-likens-sean-mcdermott-to-urban-meyer/

“Rex’s defense was just too much going on at once. I was playing to not make a mistake rather than just going out and playing.”

“It definitely was an experience with those guys [McDermott and Brandon Beane] coming in, he expected so much more out of us than, um, well me, than well, you know, with Rex, he was a players coach, but he was the laid-back coach. Coach McDermott reminds me of Urban Meyer and that’s kind of what I’m used to and that’s why I think I’m a little more successful or playing better in this system because it’s more of what I’m used to.”

“Rex is a players coach, he kind of lets you maneuver how you maneuver.. Coach McDermott is a little different. He brings an accountability factor, you know he makes sure everyone is accountable to one another, makes sure everyone’s holding up their end of the deal and that everyone’s doing their job.”

And he only played 4-3 in college. Whaley drafted him to play in a complicated 3-4 defense. I’ve never been so happy to see two people get fired.

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

As badly as I want a franchise QB in the draft, I would have to think really hard about Bradley Chubb if he were available.  Perfect fit for the scheme and probably a BPA pick.

Yeah I keep seeing him in round 2 of mock drafts and thinking.......doubt it.   

30 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I see him playing more. I don't see him playing better or well. He's like a .250 hitter in baseball that has flashes of power but no true power. 

The only time I've ever seen him stand out as a Bill was preseason 2016.    Looked like a beast at times.   Since then pretty JAGadocious. 

Just now, John from Hemet said:

Just for clarification

They are NOT filling in for Marcel.....Marcel is NO LONGER A BILL

So anytime you wanna stop beating that poor horse

(we wont even bring up the fact that Marcel was not doing much better when he actually played this year)

Asking Scottlaw to stop beating a dead horse is like asking a cow to stop mooing.  It's impossible.