Is Shaq a bust?

Punt75

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Some of us (ahem) were pounding the table for Myles Jack... and again in Round 2... I do not miss Whaley, at all.

Yea I liked Jack too.  Who knows what info teams were working on regarding his injury.  It looked accurate last year when he looked borderline arthritic out there.... but less so this year when he looks back to his college playmaking best.   

IF you included Jack he was BPA by my board at #19.  If you excluded him (based on whatever info the teams had) then it was Shaq.  

Edited by GunnerBill

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And Spence, while a better pass rusher.... is also limited and one dimensional, has only generally been used situationally and has played much worse in year 2 than his relatively average year 1.  I take the point that if you are going to be one dimensional you might prefer a one dimension that is pass rush... but he is a lesser player than Shaq to me at this stage.  

And Spence has constantly had shoulder issues since he was drafted. He's dislocated his shoulder an obscene amount of times in 1.5 seasons. I want to say when he did it against the Bills it was the 5th time and it landed him on IR. That's crazy.

If Shaq doesn't fit the mold of what they want in a defensive end in terms of pass rush, would the staff consider asking him to gain weight and bump inside?  He is a solid run defender and perhaps a move inside would help his pass rush.  He'd need to gain about 30 lbs but look at what a weight and positional change did for Alexander.  If they don't like him as an end, which I personally think he just needs more time at, they could consider bumping him inside.  

On 11/6/2017 at 8:22 AM, Bills Fan of Maryland said:

If he fails to develop, then yes he was over drafted. He is very stout against the run and a solid contributor on DL. I wouldn't blame him for the lack of a pass rush overall.  Our DTs get zero push and Hughes disappears for large chunks of the game. LBs, when they blitz, are worthless. Safeties are too far off the ball to really contribute. More stunts/twists may help the front four generate better pressure.

Agree with this.

He was drafted to set the edge and play vs the run. 

With the injury i still consider this his rookie season since it was his 1st TC etc.

23 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And Spence, while a better pass rusher.... is also limited and one dimensional, has only generally been used situationally and has played much worse in year 2 than his relatively average year 1.  I take the point that if you are going to be one dimensional you might prefer a one dimension that is pass rush... but he is a lesser player than Shaq to me at this stage.  

Agree.  I think Shaq has been a good player so far.  Not an all pro obviously but I think if you end up with a good player at 19, you have to be happy.  I just really don't know who all of the Shaq haters would have preferred.

On 11/7/2017 at 8:28 AM, GunnerBill said:

Yea I liked Jack too.  Who knows what info teams were working on regarding his injury.  It looked accurate last year when he looked borderline arthritic out there.... but less so this year when he looks back to his college playmaking best.   

IF you included Jack he was BPA by my board at #19.  If you excluded him (based on whatever info the teams had) then it was Shaq.  

I don’t do a board, but roughly speaking I recall being pretty close to this, for better and worse. 

On November 6, 2017 at 5:14 AM, vincec said:

At this point it appears that he will be a part time run stopping DE in a mostly pass oriented league so, while I wouldn’t call him a bust because he’s young and is contributing something valuable, I am a little disappointed in a 1st round draft pick.

I'm a lot disappointed. He's playing like he should have lasted until the 3rd round. Our DL is a disaster right now.

Just now, Bangarang said:

Can anyone remember hearing his name called during a game this year? It’s been a while.

Mentioned it earlier in the thread but I don't think he's even laid a finger on a live QB this year.

The two sacks were credit sacks.......one where he got credit for a QB stepping out of bounds and one where he touched Cam down after Cam had turtled.

I didn't expect much but his TOTAL lack of pass pressure has been alarming.    Even guys like Cedric Thornton are getting a little touch now and then.   

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Mentioned it earlier in the thread but I don't think he's even laid a finger on a live QB this year.

The two sacks were credit sacks.......one where he got credit for a QB stepping out of bounds and one where he touched Cam down after Cam had turtled.

I didn't expect much but his TOTAL lack of pass pressure has been alarming.    Even guys like Cedric Thornton are getting a little touch now and then.   

I don’t know if you’d count it, but he got fined $18K for roughing McCown last week.