Is Shaq a bust?

Punt75

3 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

I still say that sacks are going to come in bunches for the kid and by the end of the year he will have a decent number

By my recollection he hasn't even TOUCHED a live QB this season..........and that's coming off not doing it for the last 6-8 games of last season either.

Hard to expect sacks to come 8 games in when he hasn't even hit a QB yet.......it's not like he's getting close or something.

The two sacks he has were "credit" sacks..........one where he touched Newtons lower leg after Cam had taken a knee in the pocket(a play where Shaq was the only guy that didn't get pressure) and another where he was the closest guy when a QB ran out of bounds behind the LOS.

I can foresee a move to the inside for Shaq.   Not that he would be a great pass rusher inside........his slow get-off is a killer.......but he has a decent bull rush that might play well against guards and some short area quickness once engaged that should allow him to defend the run well inside.

Not a bust but as I said when he was drafted.......a very uninspired selection.

15 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I don't disagree with your assessment of his play, but it's not true that scouts were high on him because of his pass rushing ability. They liked him for other reasons, but I think those reasons amounted to "second-third round reasons." The Bills overdrafted him, just like Denver overdrafted Ayers. If you're going to draft a DE in round one, they should be have the physical talent to present a real pass rushing threat.

There were a few very vocal detractors of him as a first round pick...........and they were right.......his lack of pass rush SKILL was underplayed because he had good sack numbers at Clemson.

The slow get-off was utterly impossible to miss in college.......and he might be the slowest DL in the NFL at the snap.

That just makes it so much easier for OT's to set up and get their balance before having to block him.   

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

By my recollection he hasn't even TOUCHED a live QB this season..........and that's coming off not doing it for the last 6-8 games of last season either.

Hard to expect sacks to come 8 games in when he hasn't even hit a QB yet.......it's not like he's getting close or something.

The two sacks he has were "credit" sacks..........one where he touched Newtons lower leg after Cam had taken a knee in the pocket(a play where Shaq was the only guy that didn't get pressure) and another where he was the closest guy when a QB ran out of bounds behind the LOS.

I can foresee a move to the inside for Shaq.   Not that he would be a great pass rusher inside........his slow get-off is a killer.......but he has a decent bull rush that might play well against guards and some short area quickness once engaged that should allow him to defend the run well inside.

There were a few very vocal detractors of him as a first round pick...........and they were right.......his lack of pass rush SKILL was underplayed because he had good sack numbers at Clemson.

The slow get-off was utterly impossible to miss in college.......and he might be the slowest DL in the NFL at the snap.

That just makes it so much easier for OT's to set up and get their balance before having to block him.   

I am fully expecting either free agent money or draft picks to be used on pass rush issues....it honestly would not shock me at all to see them go with the receivers they have on offense and use draft picks on defense at LB and Pass Rusher

3 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

I am fully expecting either free agent money or draft picks to be used on pass rush issues....it honestly would not shock me at all to see them go with the receivers they have on offense and use draft picks on defense at LB and Pass Rusher

I expect them to be very active in the bargain bin of free agency again but wouldn't be surprised if Yarbrough and Davis were the starting DE's next season and Shaq was inside.  

Davis has FAR outplayed Shaq.........and there are probably people on this site defending Shaq that would like to see Davis cut for comp pick credit.:lol:

Yarbrough hasn't really carried over the preseason momentum but he still is a far better edge rusher than Shaq.

40 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

That wasn't his perceived strength. Virtually every scouting report highlights his run d and says he might struggle as a pass rusher. 

EDIT: Start here -- http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/shaq-lawson?id=2555252

Don't you know facts aren't important when you simply make things up as you go and write revisionist history as much as @SaviorPeterman??

Edited by matter2003

26 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

He's not a bust because he's been contributing. But I have been disappointed so far this season. But he hasn't been terrible, just meh. He still has some plays left in him this season, I'm sure.

Weird, I remember a guy defending Shaq to the death after week 2.

Too soon to call him a bust.  But he does not play like a 1st round DE should play.  Has no explosion off the ball, and is basically just a guy.  Similar to Adolphus Washington.  No explosion off the ball or causes any major disruptions for the other teams offense.  Our D Line looks pretty poor at this point minus Dareus.  Worthy Washington Thornton and Kyle are not striking fear in anyone.  And neither are Shaq and Hughes.  We are going to need to blitz the hell out of Brees this week, otherwise we are toast.  

Our Front 7 is old and slow, with no young studs pushing for playing time, unless you want to call Milano a stud.  (he does look like he has some good potential)  Alexander is on his last legs, and Preston is slow and can't cover anyone.  Surprisingly Humber is our best LB right now.  Poyer  Hyde and T White have kept the defense afloat with some very good coaching, but as seen against the Jets that will only take you so far.  The talent in the front 7 is awful.  Will need a huge effort to slow down the Saints.  But the weather will work to our favor.  

20 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I expect them to be very active in the bargain bin of free agency again but wouldn't be surprised if Yarbrough and Davis were the starting DE's next season and Shaq was inside.  

Davis has FAR outplayed Shaq.........and there are probably people on this site defending Shaq that would like to see Davis cut for comp pick credit.:lol:

Yarbrough hasn't really carried over the preseason momentum but he still is a far better edge rusher than Shaq.

I'll see you one higher. I imagine him traded to a 34 team. He would get a 4th round pick. First day of free agency is haul him out for a 4th. 

44 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Then how did he get that roughing the passer penalty?  I believe it was against the Jets and kept a drive alive.

Guess it depends what your expectations were. I never viewed him as some great pass rusher and didn’t expect double digit sacks. I figured he’d be good at setting the edge and getting the occasional sack here and there. He’ll probably be a solid NFL player for a long time but he won’t get the sexy stats you’d like to get from those guys especially the ones drafted in the first round.

I thought I saw him playing some dt thursday in the second half, especially on passing plays, so that transition may be happening already.

As a fan of the bills, I have to imagine there is some technique improvement to be had in his game due to his shoulder issues throughout his college career. That, coupled with adding some weight and moving inside might help him become more of an impact player.

14 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Guess it depends what your expectations were. I never viewed him as some great pass rusher and didn’t expect double digit sacks. I figured he’d be good at setting the edge and getting the occasional sack here and there. He’ll probably be a solid NFL player for a long time but he won’t get the sexy stats you’d like to get from those guys especially the ones drafted in the first round.

the problem is we have only been rushing four and getting no pressure. I think if the other guys were getting home people woudnt be so unhappy but the lack of pressure has made his lack of pass rush ability a bit more of a liability. I think he'd be way better off and better appreciated in a scheme that didn't rely so heavily on just their front four for pressure.