Who's looking like our competition for the wild card spots?

Obviously we still have a chance to take the east but I think we lost our chances at that with the loss on Thursday.  With Denver having spiraled and losing to Philly so far today, Houston losing Watson for the year, Baltimore struggling today and being inconsistent all year long, the Chargers and Raiders starting off very slow...what teams do you think are our competition for the two wild card spots?  What's your opinion?

Tennessee 5-3

Jacksonville 5-3 one of Jacksonville/Tennessee will likely take the division

Jets 4-5

Miami 4--4

Baltimore 4-5 

Raiders 4-5 

Chargers 3-5 

Denver 3-5 

Houston 3-5

Cincinnati 3-5

Edited by Buffalo30
Updating records

6 minutes ago, Foreigner said:

You are 5-6 too early with this. The NFL changes week to week more that the weather does.

Maybe so but some teams are definitely falling back and trending down.  Some teams like Denver, the chargers and the raiders, all teams we thought we be competing for those final spots could be in really rough shape with a loss.  If the Raiders lose to Miami tonight, they will be 3-6 putting them in more than a difficult situation.  I don't think it's too early to look at the playoff picture and who it may come down to.  

It's not too early, as more teams are trending downward than usual at this point of the season. I'd say Titans/ Jags from the South. Dolphins, Ravens. The Raiders have enough talent to make a push but it's less likely. Any others would have to be considered long shots. 

If the bills can get to 9 or 10 wins this could be the year they get in.  Not a lot of strong competitors this year with the raiders, dolphins, broncos, bengals, and Ravens being mediocre.

Still early, another half a year to go.  Hopefully the bills are the team that makes the run.

Everybody outside of the division winners completely sucks. I don’t think you can find 6 teams that honestly deserve a playoff spot, but the Bills can cement themselves as one of those teams if they can prove the Jets game was a Thursday night fluke. We sure have as a good a chance as anyone else.

I always look at the playoff race as the countdown to 7 losses.  Once you hit 7, you are pretty much done (in most years).

At this point, the only team out is Cleveland (8 losses).

Indianapolis has 6 losses, and basically needs to win out.

New York, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Houston, Denver, Los Angeles and Oakland are all sitting at 5 losses.  Which means anything more than 1 loss, and they are done too.

This leaves a total of 7 teams currently in contention for 6 playoff spots.

New England, Pittsburgh and Kansas City have 2 losses.

Buffalo, Miami, Tennessee and Jacksonville have 3 losses.

• Like (+1) 1

Bills have a lot of tough games coming up. Saints, Chargers, Chiefs, Pats, Colts, Fish, Pats, Fish. 

I'd say 2 are sure wins - colts, one of the fish games. I don't think we beat them at home. Chargers are NOT bad - so that's a 50-50 game. The rest >50% chance of losing. We're going to need 2-3 upsets to get to a 9 win season. THAT isn't pretty. 

We have a chance against Saints - IF the weather cooperates and is horribly cold and rainy or snows. I'm hoping for cold November Rain and winds LOL. 

20 minutes ago, JPP said:

This is the year to take advantage......lets see if they can actually do it.....

The amazing thing is that it's usually similarly wide open and somehow this team has managed to deftly defy the odds and miss the playoffs 17 straight times.......mostly due to mid-season slides against teams they should beat......like the Jets, for instance.

This seems like an exercise in futility. I will enjoy watching these games coming up and hope I see continued improvement.  I like what I have seen for the most part. Yeah the Jets game was ugly but there were some bright spots. If they make the playoffs I will be very happy, if they don't--that is what I expected when the season started.

25 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

I still think Miami is a lock for a WC will finish 2nd to the Pats in the division which means they'll likely get the #5 seed.

So essentially the Bills will be competing with a handful of other teams for the final spot, likely the Jets, Raiders, Chargers and Titans/Jags. This is of course assuming the season don't go completely off the rails in the next few week and still think that's very probably given the upcoming schedule against teams on a whole other level compared to the Jets that easily beat this team.

Why would you think Miami is a lock for a wild card?  Was it that 40-0 drubbing they took last week?  That 3 point win they had over the Jets in Miami the week before?

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

I always look at the playoff race as the countdown to 7 losses.  Once you hit 7, you are pretty much done (in most years).

At this point, the only team out is Cleveland (8 losses).

Indianapolis has 6 losses, and basically needs to win out.

New York, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Houston, Denver, Los Angeles and Oakland are all sitting at 5 losses.  Which means anything more than 1 loss, and they are done too.

This leaves a total of 7 teams currently in contention for 6 playoff spots.

New England, Pittsburgh and Kansas City have 2 losses.

Buffalo, Miami, Tennessee and Jacksonville have 3 losses.

I think that's right, although I wouldn't quite count Oakland or the Chargers out yet. The Bills are still in a pretty good place although the loss to the Jets was a big hit (you gotta beat the teams you're supposed to beat), but I'm seriously concerned about one of those AFC West teams catching fire and joining the loser of Tenn/Jax as the other wild card. 

The continuing good news from the Bills perspective is apparent contenders dropping like flies: Houston with Deshaun out; the Broncos in full collapse; Miami looking like they could do likewise (although I expect a rebound, at least short term), Cincinnati and Baltimore looking mediocre or worse ...