Woods, watkins TDs

Foreigner

6 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

I feel you there. However Jax was giving up 5.2yds a carry on the ground and today gave up 1.7yds a carry.

I think he will serve his purpose there just nicely, I mean he is 340 and just needs to clog lanes and let the rest of the defense get penetration.  I wish him the best but his best was never gonna be on this team again.  The fit wasn't right but I hope he kills it in Jacksonville.  Hope he doesn't waste his talent

3 hours ago, H2o said:

McVay has turned that team around completely. They added Woods and Watkins, but it's basically the same team Fisher couldn't win with. THAT was the Rams' best move of the offseason hands down. 

I’m hoping our FIRST choice for OC has this type of effect for us next season. The Pegulas have the pockets to eat some contracts. 

9 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

Jacksonville's defense was already scary...will be interesting to see how he performs.  You can't give him credit for Cincy's rushing yards though, they have too many talented players on that defense to give credit to one person.

Thats why many questioned why they went after him and yet didn't attempt to address the QB situation

There defence is already really good. He won't hurt it, but its not like he is turn9ing around a bad defence

3 hours ago, H2o said:

McVay has turned that team around completely. They added Woods and Watkins, but it's basically the same team Fisher couldn't win with. THAT was the Rams' best move of the offseason hands down. 

Adding Wade and Fassel to coach up the D and STs didn’t hurt either.  Lots of talent on that team.

Sad watching Goff not using Watkins.  Burned the Giants on two bombs (one a lousy throw by Goff).  Actually Goff is not as good as TT, but has an offense that takes advantage of his skills and has fresh looks and a great OC.   He makes tons of mistakes and Watkins is open often.  Watching him target Cooper Kupp over Watkins tells me he just is not that good.

The fact that Bills wanted to tank, did a bad job assessing the league and their chances and basically did everything they could to undermine the offense and TT irks me to no end.

Now they got Benjamin and will see if it works.

Why he wasn't dressed Thursday to at least be a decoy again tells me a lot about the Bills. 

Edited by Billsfan1972

As said many times before, they were never resigning Watkins for what it would have taken to sign him. Not with all the lingering injury concerns.

As for Woods, I don't think there are many that didn't want him back, but not at what it would cost to keep him. It's good to see him doing well in LA, and yet Watkins for some reason is not getting the attention he feels he deserves for some reason.

Those 2 should start to flourish as the year progresses.  They were a waste on our team with the exception of Woods blocking ability.  We could have 10 Jerry Rice's on this team and it wouldn't matter because Tyrod is not a good QB.  Our coaching staff should have their head examined for having Ducasse out there as well.  We're missing Kromer bad right now. 

Go Bills!!!!! 

When you build a dynasty you have a lot of players that can't get the big $$$, so they go to other teams who will pony up.

And other teams will poach everything they can from your dynasty roster.

Bills are learning again what this is like to be poached.

9 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Thats why many questioned why they went after him and yet didn't attempt to address the QB situation

There defence is already really good. He won't hurt it, but its not like he is turn9ing around a bad defence

Maybe the Jags expect to acquire their QB this year in the draft with trading draft picks since the rest of the team, for the most part, seems set.

12 minutes ago, BuffaloFan68 said:

Those 2 should start to flourish as the year progresses.  They were a waste on our team with the exception of Woods blocking ability.  We could have 10 Jerry Rice's on this team and it wouldn't matter because Tyrod is not a good QB.  Our coaching staff should have their head examined for having Ducasse out there as well.  We're missing Kromer bad right now. 

Go Bills!!!!! 

Actually Goff is worse then TT but playing in an offense that it dynamic and inventive.  Goff is actually pretty bad wrt accuracy and reading defenses and the fact he checks down worse then TT.  Watkins is behind Cooper Kupp as an option says it all.

The fact the FO tried to undermine TT & the offense and tank the season says all you need about the Bills.

Wow the idea that you need to pay good players seems lost on some here.....

BTW continue going on about Watkins injuries, as they are a thing of the past and none this year.

Also anyone see Julio Jones drop yesterday?  Bills fans would demand his trade today...... 

Edited by Billsfan1972

19 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

And yet they've put up pedestrian numbers so far this season...it's not like they sucked.  They are bound to have a good performance here and there.  The whole thing about them leaving here is because of how inconsistent their play was.

This is just so much BS.  Watkins wasn't "inconsistent".  He sustained an injury that took a long time to heal and he made some statements about WR pay structure in general that the Bills FO used as a rationalization to move him out.  Woods wasn't "inconsistent" either.  The Bills just didn't want to pay him the going rate for veteran WRs of his caliber.  Furthermore, Woods has been anything but "inconsistent" for the Rams.  He's caught 31 passes for 451 yards (which may be only slightly less than the Bills current WRs' yards gained) and 2 TDs with 9 completions over 20 yards.  He's had only 2 games where he didn't have at least 50 yards in catches.

If you want to defend the Bills FO's personnel moves, be my guest, but don't make up stuff to do it.

7 minutes ago, SoTier said:

This is just so much BS.  Watkins wasn't "inconsistent".  He sustained an injury that took a long time to heal and he made some statements about WR pay structure in general that the Bills FO used as a rationalization to move him out.  Woods wasn't "inconsistent" either.  The Bills just didn't want to pay him the going rate for veteran WRs of his caliber.  Furthermore, Woods has been anything but "inconsistent" for the Rams.  He's caught 31 passes for 451 yards (which may be only slightly less than the Bills current WRs' yards gained) and 2 TDs with 9 completions over 20 yards.  He's had only 2 games where he didn't have at least 50 yards in catches.

If you want to defend the Bills FO's personnel moves, be my guest, but don't make up stuff to do it.

what was said was absolutely true.  woods is having a good year, but wasn't likely worth the 8 mill a year he received.  watkins has been wildly inconsistent, injury or no injury.  just look at his numbers this year.  you just can't seem to get over the fact that some of the guys that were moved, were moved for not just financial reasons.  if this team is so cheap, why give wood an extension.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Amazes me the # here hell-bent on defending this FO.  How a single poster could not see that this team could be so much better with those two defies logic.

5 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Sammy Watkins has 2 games of over 3 catches this season and 1 game of over 100 yards which was against San Fran.  Does that sound like consistency to you?  Maybe consistent poor play or decoy play but he doesn't deserve the credit of being a top flight receiver that many jack him up to be.  As for Woods, he's been consistent but not worth 8 million a year for a run first team.  If I'm paying my second wide receiver on the team that much, he better be getting 1,000 yards a season for me but he didn't here.  I understand we don't throw the ball a lot but the Rams have been and yet Sammy still can't produce.  He's inconsistent

1 minute ago, teef said:

what was said was absolutely true.  woods is having a good year, but wasn't likely worth the 8 mill a year he received.  watkins has been wildly inconsistent, injury or no injury.  just look at his numbers this year.  you just can't seem to get over the fact that some of the guys that were moved, were moved for not just financial reasons.  if this team is so cheap, why give wood an extension.

Watch Watkins and it is obvious that Goff is doing him no favours.  With TT he'd be elite.....

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Amazes me the # here hell-bent on defending this FO.  How a single poster could not see that this team could be so much better with those two defies logic.

Of course they can be better but at what cost?  How much would you pay Sammy for his mediocre production this year being that he's on a contract year?  I think that's a tough question...because he's been inconsistent over his career with dealing with injuries and a lack of big production on the field.  Two games with over three catches this year...okay man.

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Watch Watkins and it is obvious that Goff is doing him no favours.  With TT he'd be elite.....

elite?  based on what?  people just keep saying this like it's a truth.  it's not at all.  would it have helped to have watkins?  of course, but he has shown nothing in his career at all to call him elite, or assume he'd just turn into a star this year.  tt isn't the type of guy that's going to put up a ton of passing yards, so i really doubt he would get the production you seem to think he would have.  

you complain that people are hell bent on defending the fo, but others are hell bent on defending the average play of watkins.  blame it on goff all you want, but at some point sammy is the cause of his own problems.  

3 minutes ago, teef said:

elite?  based on what?  people just keep saying this like it's a truth.  it's not at all.  would it have helped to have watkins?  of course, but he has shown nothing in his career at all to call him elite, or assume he'd just turn into a star this year.  tt isn't the type of guy that's going to put up a ton of passing yards, so i really doubt he would get the production you seem to think he would have.  

you complain that people are hell bent on defending the fo, but others are hell bent on defending the average play of watkins.  blame it on goff all you want, but at some point sammy is the cause of his own problems.  

Solid rookie season with injuries and one the the receivers the second half of 2015 when he was healthy on a team that did not throw much.  

Watch how bad Goff is in his reads and progressions.  Doing Watkins no favours.  Criminal that Cooper Kupp has 48 vs. 31 targets for Watkins.

Riddle me this....  Which  WR has the other teams #1 db or double coverage assigned to him on the Rams.

8 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Solid rookie season with injuries and one the the receivers the second half of 2015 when he was healthy on a team that did not throw much.  

Watch how bad Goff is in his reads and progressions.  Doing Watkins no favours.  Criminal that Cooper Kupp has 48 vs. 31 targets for Watkins.

Riddle me this....  Which  WR has the other teams #1 db or double coverage assigned to him on the Rams.

Riddle me this, players like Antonio Brown,  OBJ and other elite WR....how come they can still produce at a high level even though they are doubled?

Elite based on solid rookie season?  That's your criteria that he would be elite? 

13 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

so again, you're doing nothing other than speculating that sammy would have the magically great numbers.  he's been in the league long enough that at some point we have to stop blaming his lack of production on everyone else.  he just hasn't produced.  he has the ability no doubt, but enough is enough.  

blame it on the hardcore double coverage, but aren't "elite" receivers supposed to over come this?  i wouldn't expect huge games every game, but he's done next to nothing while on the rams.  goff is getting the balls to his guys enough to win.  if sammy can't make himself one of those guys, then so be it.

i just think it's crazy that people still assume that if still on the bills, sammy has a big year...with tt.  keep trying.

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Riddle me this, players like Antonio Brown,  OBJ and other elite WR....how come they can still produce at a high level even though they are doubled?

Elite based on solid rookie season?  That's your criteria that he would be elite? 

his argument is just poor.  at some point, the numbers are unavoidable.  if he was so elite, it would have been seen by now.  he's not.

16 minutes ago, teef said:

The poster I replied to claimed that Watkins and Woods were "inconsistent" which was why they were moved out, and that's untrue.  Neither was "inconsistent" in their play for the Bills.  They weren't dropping easy balls or running the wrong routes with some frequency.   They both played well within the limits of the Bills offense. Certainly the way the Bills used Watkins in 2015 and 2016 when he was healthy was "inconsistent" but that's on the coaching staff not the player.  Woods was a very solid WR on a run-first team with a QB still learning the ropes.  He's in a better situation now, and he's showing his stuff.

BTW, how many Rams games have you watched?  Woods has turned into a clutch WR for them although Kupp gets most of the glory because Goff relies on him the way Matt Ryan relies on Julio Jones and Andy Dalton relies on AJ Green.  The rest of the receivers scramble for the crumbs.  Woods would have been worth $8 million in a Bills uniform because he would give them a downfield threat that they still don't have even with the trade for Benjamin.  It's the going rate, and they probably will have to shell out close to that to keep Benjamin.

15 minutes ago, Buffalo30 said:

Sammy Watkins has 2 games of over 3 catches this season and 1 game of over 100 yards which was against San Fran.  Does that sound like consistency to you?  Maybe consistent poor play or decoy play but he doesn't deserve the credit of being a top flight receiver that many jack him up to be.  As for Woods, he's been consistent but not worth 8 million a year for a run first team.  If I'm paying my second wide receiver on the team that much, he better be getting 1,000 yards a season for me but he didn't here.  I understand we don't throw the ball a lot but the Rams have been and yet Sammy still can't produce.  He's inconsistent

As I asked Teef, how many Rams games have you watched?  WRs are dependent upon how often the QB throws to them.  Goff throws to Kupp as if he were his only option a lot of the time.  As Goff matures and gets more confidence in Watkins and Woods, as well as defenses start double covering Kupp, Goff should start throwing the ball to his other options more often.  Even without having as many targets as he should have, Woods is on pace to get at about 800-900+ yards (I'm not sure if the Rams have played 8 or 9 games).

The point is, however, not whether the Bills should have gotten rid of one or both Woods and/or Watkins but rather whether they were "inconsistent" as WRs.  They weren't in Buffalo, and they aren't in LA.

17 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Goff is not even looking at him as I expect that coaching won't let him throw into double coverage.  I also think veterans like Manning & Rothliesberger actually look to their stars to make plays.

Watch a Rams game and it is pretty obvious that Goff is performing at a high level due to the schemes and not his skill level. 

Watkins wide open both targets Saturday and Goff made one pass.  

Also took serious speed to get to the ball as he blew by the db....

14 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

Sean McVay has the Rams playing LARGE and they are a legit SB caliber team with both their offense and Wade Phillips defense.

Reminds me of the Kurt Warner's greatest show on turf teams circa 1999 - 2002.

Given up on your Carpies, huh?

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The poster I replied to claimed that Watkins and Woods were "inconsistent" which was why they were moved out, and that's untrue.  Neither was "inconsistent" in their play for the Bills.  They weren't dropping easy balls or running the wrong routes with some frequency.   They both played well within the limits of the Bills offense. Certainly the way the Bills used Watkins in 2015 and 2016 when he was healthy was "inconsistent" but that's on the coaching staff not the player.  Woods was a very solid WR on a run-first team with a QB still learning the ropes.  He's in a better situation now, and he's showing his stuff.

BTW, how many Rams games have you watched?  Woods has turned into a clutch WR for them although Kupp gets most of the glory because Goff relies on him the way Matt Ryan relies on Julio Jones and Andy Dalton relies on AJ Green.  The rest of the receivers scramble for the crumbs.  Woods would have been worth $8 million in a Bills uniform because he would give them a downfield threat that they still don't have even with the trade for Benjamin.  It's the going rate, and they probably will have to shell out close to that to keep Benjamin.

As I asked Teef, how many Rams games have you watched?  WRs are dependent upon how often the QB throws to them.  Goff throws to Kupp as if he were his only option a lot of the time.  As Goff matures and gets more confidence in Watkins and Woods, as well as defenses start double covering Kupp, Goff should start throwing the ball to his other options more often.  Even without having as many targets as he should have, Woods is on pace to get at about 800-900+ yards (I'm not sure if the Rams have played 8 or 9 games).

The point is, however, not whether the Bills should have gotten rid of one or both Woods and/or Watkins but rather whether they were "inconsistent" as WRs.  They weren't in Buffalo, and they aren't in LA.

Kupp will not get double covered, because then their fastest and best receiver won't have the #1 cover and double on him (Watkins).  Opposing coaches have no choice but to cover Watkins and hope Goff doesn't look his way, which he doesn't.

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Goff is not even looking at him as I expect that coaching won't let him throw into double coverage.  I also think veterans like Manning & Rothliesberger actually look to their stars to make plays.

Watch a Rams game and it is pretty obvious that Goff is performing at a high level due to the schemes and not his skill level. 

Watkins wide open both targets Saturday and Goff made one pass.  

Also took serious speed to get to the ball as he blew by the db....

While Sammy was in Buffalo....

2014 - 8 targets per game

2015 - 7.75 targets per game

2016- 6.5 targets per game

This is why Taylor who you said would make Watkins "elite".  

I was one who did not want Sammy traded.  I'd still like to see him on the team.  But come on now.  You look at his production in LA and it does not shout out:  Hey! This guy is elite!  He made one catch yesterday.  One catch.  And he was open by ten yards because the Giants either blew the  coverage or have given up on the HC.  That does not put him in the top echelon of NFL wide receivers no mater how you try to spin it, and I suspect he'll find that out come contract time post-season.   His career thus far seems to involve him being a guy who runs deep patterns every time, and he get targeted occasionally.  You can argue he needs to be sued differently (screens, etc), but two different teams now have not seen fit to use him that way.  In contrast, the Rams seem to want to utilize a rookie WR as their focal point.

Woods has done OK there.  His TD yesterday?  A one yard pass, good blocking down field, and he wasn't touched as he ran 50 some yards.  Again, nice for the Rams but not a real stretch for a WR.  They want to spend 8 million or so on Woods, fine.  I think Jones is every bit as good going forth.

30 minutes ago, SoTier said:

watkins was absolutely inconsistent.  you mention dropping balls and running the wrong routes, but that's not what i'm referring too.  i'm talking about straight up production, or lack there of from sammy.  you want to blame in on the coaching?  go right ahead, but sammy has been on two teams now, and has yet shown to be elite.  at some point the excuses from posters have to stop.  woods was a solid wr for the bills, but in no way should the bills have given him 8 mill a year.  i appreciate what he's done for la, but no way.  

and what's with the "how many rams games have i watched"?  enough with that nonsense.  i don't need to see any to know that watkins has so far been a failure there.  has woods be good...sure, but in my mind not 8 mill a year good.  i'd much rather have benjamin for that money.

i really don't think  you even care about these specific players.  you're still in that nonsense mode that the bills are letting these guys go because of money, when it's clearly not the entire story.  at least you started bringing up gilmore as an example.  he would have been a huge mistake for the money.  keep letting your anger cloud the reality of what's happening.  

32 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Kupp will not get double covered, because then their fastest and best receiver won't have the #1 cover and double on him (Watkins).  Opposing coaches have no choice but to cover Watkins and hope Goff doesn't look his way, which he doesn't.

sammy's lack of production is no one's fault other than sammys.  woods seems to be getting the ball fine enough.  why can't watkins?

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

Watkins had one more catch yesterday then I did

you're elite.  

36 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

While Sammy was in Buffalo....

2014 - 8 targets per game

2015 - 7.75 targets per game

2016- 6.5 targets per game

This is why Taylor who you said would make Watkins "elite".  

Lies, damned lies, and statistics. In 2016, Watkins either didn't finish a number of games, or was on a pitch count because of the foot. Hence his target numbers were necessarily down on a per game average. Same goes for 2015, when he left 2 games early (Miami and Cincinnati). 

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Lies, damned lies, and statistics. In 2016, Watkins either didn't finish a number of games, or was on a pitch count because of the foot. Hence his target numbers were necessarily down on a per game average. Same goes for 2015, when he left 2 games early (Miami and Cincinnati). 

So Watkins complained about targets for no reason then?

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

his injuries are still part of the problem.  i don't care why he has a lack of targets or a lack of production.  it's on sammy.  he's even been arguably been put into a better situation this year, and he still can't get it done.  i think he has it in him to be great, but at some point he needs to own this.

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I am not talking about his comments; I'm talking about measurable facts.

But his comments are directly about his targets.  I posted his targets per game.

You called it a lie.  So if it’s a lie, then his specific comments about wanting more targets were wrong?

Was he targeted enough or not in Buffalo?So which is it Dave?  

And why then is the opposing teams #1 back assigned him or double teamed????  Because he's a scrub?

And who is worth the money?  I love how every receiver is not worth the money they're being paid.

The good news is Matthews value is tumbling, so that bodes well.....

8 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And why then is the opposing teams #1 back assigned him or double teamed????  Because he's a scrub?

And who is worth the money?  I love how every receiver is not worth the money they're being paid.

The good news is Matthews value is tumbling, so that bodes well.....

so what if he's double teamed?  you think he's so elite...should't he still be showing some numbers?  i don't think i've once seen anyone call him a scrub on here.  his problem is he was a me first player, (as he even admitted) and even then his value wasn't there.  you know who's worth the money?  productive players.  sammy hasn't shown himself to be one.  

what's it going to take for people to realize that letting sammy go was likely a wise decision?  will have have to be non-productive on his  third team for people to actually clue in?