Official fire Rick Dennison thread

6 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

when was the one  horrible soft pass behind the LOS to Shady that nearly went for a pick 6? 

Yep a bad pass in the second quarter......  It happens to almost every qb and fortunately was not intercepted.  

Here's some by TB....

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think Dennison "cost us the game" but the call on 1st and goal from the 1 was really bad.  As all year though the lack of execution from the Quarterback, the line and the receivers has been a major factor in the underperformance.  The line, in fairness to Calamity Castillo, has rebounded pretty well since that Jets debacle, but the Quarterback has regressed from about week 6, the receivers and tight ends have had way too many drops all year - not just Zay - Holmes, Clay, O'Leary, Thompson have all had bad drops. 

However, I don't think Dennison has done a good job.  I think he has been below average.  His scheme hasn't been a great fit for our talent and I just don't know that I see him as the kind of creative offensive mind to construct an offense around what a young rookie Quarterback does well.  I'd like to move on.  Sean Ryan has interviewed for the vacant OC job in Cleveland.  I'd inform Rico first thing in the morning that we are moving on or offer him a consultancy or Senior Offensive Assistant role if you want him around still to lean on his experience and then I'd get on the phone to Sean Ryan's agent. 

• Like (+1) 1

Funny, some want him fired but who in their right minds would want to come here and have to completely  change their offense for the Tyrod. He was set to fail having to use Rex's choice at QB, I don't blame him. Levy always said, schemes don't win players do.

Edited by xRUSHx

I feel your pain.  But honestly I feel with a better QB Rico's offense can be more successful.

TT just isn't a fit for it.

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Dennison "cost us the game" but the call on 1st and goal from the 1 was really bad.  As all year though the lack of execution from the Quarterback, the line and the receivers has been a major factor in the underperformance.  The line, in fairness to Calamity Castillo, has rebounded pretty well since that Jets debacle, but the Quarterback has regressed from about week 6, the receivers and tight ends have had way too many drops all year - not just Zay - Holmes, Clay, O'Leary, Thompson have all had bad drops. 

However, I don't think Dennison has done a good job.  I think he has been below average.  His scheme hasn't been a great fit for our talent and I just don't know that I see him as the kind of creative offensive mind to construct an offense around what a young rookie Quarterback does well.  I'd like to move on.  Sean Ryan has interviewed for the vacant OC job in Cleveland.  I'd inform Rico first thing in the morning that we are moving on or offer him a consultancy or Senior Offensive Assistant role if you want him around still to lean on his experience and then I'd get on the phone to Sean Ryan's agent. 

Players not making plays cost us the game.  Even with first and goal at 1 if they punch that in it's 10-7.  Bills had plenty of opportunities that they either dropped or TT didn't make the throw and/or convert.  Players lost the game on the field.   Not the ref, not the coaches.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dezertbill said:

I feel your pain.  But honestly I feel with a better QB Rico's offense can be more successful.

TT just isn't a fit for it.

They need to improve both OC and QB.  Don't want Rico developing the new fella that will hopefully develop into a franchise qb.  

2 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

Players not making plays cost us the game.  Even with first and goal at 1 if they punch that in it's 10-7.  Bills had plenty of opportunities that they either dropped or TT didn't make the throw and/or convert.  Players lost the game on the field.   Not the ref, not the coaches.

I absolutely 100% agree with this and have all year.  We simply haven't had enough players on offense making enough plays.  But that isn't the only question that is relevant to Rico staying or not. We are going to draft a Quarterbacks.  You have to ask whether he is the guy you want to be designing an offense for that rookie QB, whoever he may be. 

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

How many Super Bowls does the combination of Sean Ryan and Baker Mayfield win? I’m thinking at least 7 or 8.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I absolutely 100% agree with this and have all year.  We simply haven't had enough players on offense making enough plays.  But that isn't the only question that is relevant to Rico staying or not. We are going to draft a Quarterbacks.  You have to ask whether he is the guy you want to be designing an offense for that rookie QB, whoever he may be. 

I honestly believe that Beane and McD feel this team is too advanced to try and draft a QB.  Whomever comes out is going to have a year or two of growing pains.  We are a playoff team now, and drafting a QB would risk us taking a step back.

It makes sense to sign a proven QB that can lead this team deeper into the playoffs, which is honestly where it deserves to be.  If we would have been 6-10 this year then yes draft one.  But as far as we've gone we sign a guy like Cousins and this is a different team.

We are probably going to be drafting our QB of the future this April. Now is the time to make the change and get a real OC in here. Once you draft a QB, it’s hell to make them switch offenses year to year. Cut Dennison loose.

Just now, dezertbill said:

I honestly believe that Beane and McD feel this team is too advanced to try and draft a QB.  Whomever comes out is going to have a year or two of growing pains.  We are a playoff team now, and drafting a QB would risk us taking a step back.

It makes sense to sign a proven QB that can lead this team deeper into the playoffs, which is honestly where it deserves to be.  If we would have been 6-10 this year then yes draft one.  But as far as we've gone we sign a guy like Cousins and this is a different team.

Cousins is not coming to Buffalo.  If he was I'd keep Rico because there will be a lot of carry over from the Shanahan scheme that he has been grounded in but I honestly think there is less than a 10% chance of that and my preference anyway would be to draft one, accept that might mean a small step back in 2018 but you will be absolutely stacked and ready to go in 2019 when our division will definitely be winnable again for the first time in a long time (if it isn't already next year). 

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

Even with first and goal at 1 if they punch that in it's 10-7.

Yeah that's the problem, our ceiling in this game was like 10 points. Even if we give Tyrod a couple of those deep throws he missed our ceiling would have been maybe 17 points. It isn't good enough.

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Cousins is not coming to Buffalo.  If he was I'd keep Rico because there will be a lot of carry over from the Shanahan scheme that he has been grounded in but I honestly think there is less than a 10% chance of that and my preference anyway would be to draft one, accept that might mean a small step back in 2018 but you will be absolutely stacked and ready to go in 2019 when our division will definitely be winnable again for the first time in a long time (if it isn't already next year). 

Even if Cousins were coming to Buffalo, I'd still look for a better OC.