Official fire Rick Dennison thread

I still think execution was again a problem. Shady missed more holes today than I have seen him miss for a long while, Ducasse was atrocious, Tyrod was average.

However, I do think it is fair to question the playcalling on offense today which felt very very conservative all day long. So many drives that started with great field position and 1 deep shot taken from my memory. We don't have enough talent to dink and dunk... the execution will break down at some point... so we need chunk plays and today there was a reluctance to even try them. 

23 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

How can you guys judge the OC without a good QB? You think mike McCoy would have this offense humming with the lethal Tyrod to deonte Thompson combo? 

How do you explain the massive drop off in offensive production from the last couple years to now?

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

How can you guys judge the OC without a good QB? You think mike McCoy would have this offense humming with the lethal Tyrod to deonte Thompson combo? 

I disagree completely about Taylor being a good QB (he is) but the best OCs (coaches) make up for a lack of talent on the roster 

51 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Actually it's fairly easy as we've watched the Roman/ Lynn combo do much better with the same QB. A good OC can do the absolute best possible with what he has, and that just hasn't been the case with Dennison... Next please

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

It went for a 20 yard TD last week? 

I thought Dennison mixed it up decently in the first third of the game. It worked to a degree, so he abandoned it. 

Did we call the pitch run on a 3rd and 2 last week? (I was at the game and genuinely don't remember)

I agree on the second point -- thought the playcalling was noticeably better in the first half. Particularly liked seeing the roll-outs and called QB runs. Would like to see more run-pass options. 

5 minutes ago, LA Grant said:

Did we call the pitch run on a 3rd and 2 last week? (I was at the game and genuinely don't remember)

I agree on the second point -- thought the playcalling was noticeably better in the first half. Particularly liked seeing the roll-outs and called QB runs. Would like to see more run-pass options. 

No it was first and ten. Shady's second of two straight long runs. But it worked well. And I recall another wide pitch that worked on third and short and one that didn't. 

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Mike mccoy couldnt do it many years in a row in san diego and he just failed again. Why does everyone think hes good? Hes completely overated just like hue jackson.

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

No it was first and ten. Shady's second of two straight long runs. But it worked well. And I recall another wide pitch that worked on third and short and one that didn't. 

The reason I dislike it is more about the philosophy. Obviously with any coaching decision it's one of those things where if it worked, then it's a great call, but it didn't, so...

Calling it on 1st and 10, or 2nd and 5 --- even if it blows up, I'm not yelling "wtf" at the television. But on 3rd and 2 in that situation, it seemed ridiculous. Up the middle from I-formation wasn't an option? Or running from the shotgun isn't a way to get the RB outside the tackle?

It seemed too cute to me, like suddenly Kevin Gilbride was calling plays.

7 minutes ago, LA Grant said:

The reason I dislike it is more about the philosophy. Obviously with any coaching decision it's one of those things where if it worked, then it's a great call, but it didn't, so...

Calling it on 1st and 10, or 2nd and 5 --- even if it blows up, I'm not yelling "wtf" at the television. But on 3rd and 2 in that situation, it seemed ridiculous. Up the middle from I-formation wasn't an option? Or running from the shotgun isn't a way to get the RB outside the tackle?

It seemed too cute to me, like suddenly Kevin Gilbride was calling plays.

In general I agree with all of that. On third and short and in goal line situations, overall, we have had lousy blocking this year. A couple decent holes but mostly bad. 

57 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

How do you explain the massive drop off in offensive production from the last couple years to now?

Agree.  But would Mike McCoy change the offense, including blocking scheme, back to what Anthony Lynn ran last year?  Because that is how the passing and rushing attack would flourish.  I don't know enough about McCoy to say what he would do if he was brought in at this point.