Deshaun Watson tore his ACL in practice

YoloinOhio

Agreed. But so many happen without the hit. I doubt his was really weak from hits and the next twist was gonna tear it. Maybe. But that doesn't seem to be how these things happen. I was talking about how many non contact major injuries there are.

A combination of faster/quicker and bigger players puts more stress on these soft tissues than ever.

So anyone have any ideas why all these non contract knee injuries keep happening? Does increased HGH use have anything to do with it?

From what I have read in sports articles from medical experts the issue is as players keep getting faster and making faster cuts the muscles are not necessarily designed for such stress/strained movements. The biggest thing is the lateral movements and cuts, every year you see knees go just because of that. Flexibility is a massive key and even with that a muscle like the knee when it is stretched to max just knees one wrong twinge to wreck it. Add in years of hits like other have said and players pushing their bodies harder then ever in ways not scene it makes sense why the increase is there.

This is an incredible novice medical take based off what I have read so take it as you will but I do believe a lot of it.

A combination of faster/quicker and bigger players puts more stress on these soft tissues than ever.

Of all the dozens of times I have heard doctors talk about injuries, I have never heard them say that an otherwise healthy player, like Watson, was injured in a non contact drill because his tendons were weakened by normal wear and tear, and then it was almost inevitable that it was going to tear. I have heard them say that with partial tears then full tears are more likely, which seems almost obvious.

I do believe players are bigger and strong and likely put bigger stress on these soft tissues. But it doesn't seem like they are expected more now on non contact drills. Doctors would be talking about that all the time.

Agreed. But so many happen without the hit. I doubt his was really weak from hits and the next twist was gonna tear it. Maybe. But that doesn't seem to be how these things happen. I was talking about how many non contact major injuries there are.

Yeah, but you still put a lot of force on the joints when you plant and cut with their body mass. Might also just be gradual wear until it eventual just gives.

From what I have read in sports articles from medical experts the issue is as players keep getting faster and making faster cuts the muscles are not necessarily designed for such stress/strained movements. The biggest thing is the lateral movements and cuts, every year you see knees go just because of that. Flexibility is a massive key and even with that a muscle like the knee when it is stretched to max just knees one wrong twinge to wreck it. Add in years of hits like other have said and players pushing their bodies harder then ever in ways not scene it makes sense why the increase is there.

This is an incredible novice medical take based off what I have read so take it as you will but I do believe a lot of it.

....good research and it makes sense.......non-contact injuries may result from gameday beating(s) that surface later as in practice.......

Watson also tore an ACL in college, I wonder if it was the same knee. I feel like theres gotta be some test they can perform to see whos at risk for these injuries before they happen, but who knows.

Of all the dozens of times I have heard doctors talk about injuries, I have never heard them say that an otherwise healthy player, like Watson, was injured in a non contact drill because his tendons were weakened by normal wear and tear, and then it was almost inevitable that it was going to tear. I have heard them say that with partial tears then full tears are more likely, which seems almost obvious.

I do believe players are bigger and strong and likely put bigger stress on these soft tissues. But it doesn't seem like they are expected more now on non contact drills. Doctors would be talking about that all the time.

Well, there are such thing as microtears that weaken overall structural integrity.

ACL's are notorious for non-contact injuries in the Orthopaedic world. Just a fact of life with how the joint is built. Sometimes you can knock out the ACL and a couple other soft tissues with a contact injury, but that's a blown knee and sort've a different injury.

Watson also tore an ACL in college, I wonder if it was the same knee. I feel like theres gotta be some test they can perform to see whos at risk for these injuries before they happen, but who knows.

...did not know that.....thanks for info HD....sure hope it does not become a chronic issue for the lad this early on similar to Bradford.............................

Well, there are such thing as microtears that weaken overall structural integrity.

ACL's are notorious for non-contact injuries in the Orthopaedic world. Just a fact of life with how the joint is built. Sometimes you can knock out the ACL and a couple other soft tissues with a contact injury, but that's a blown knee and sort've a different injury.

Thanks for that.

Wasn't the story that he played a whole game or most of a game with a torn ACL as a freshman? I suppose I could look it up. ;)