Broncos Bench Trevor Siemian for Brock Osweiler

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How bad is it it you're turning to Osweiler? Maybe Siemian isn't the next Montana after all. :rolleyes:

@JamesPalmerTV

Vance Joseph told the team this morning, as expected, Brock Osweiler will start vs the Eagles
@RapSheet
The #Broncos nearly replaced Trevor Siemian in their last game. Decided to wait and ponder. Now go with Brock Osweiler, who has earned it.

OK, puzzled: how has Brock Osweiler "earned it"?

I think Brock is a placeholder for a week or two, then they'll roll with Paxton Lynch.

You HAVE to play your 1st round pick eventually.

Does this change the perception/view that Elway is some great GM/QB evaluator?

He is a great GM. He has consistently brought in talent through the draft and free agency. Wins and rings don't lie.

Brock - they wanted to resign him,he just chased the money to Houston after what he felt was a raw deal in Denver. Elway benefited by dodging that bullet.

Lynch is incomplete. You can't bust if you don't play.

I tell you what this decision shows yet again.... the offensive system we have adopted that make Jake Plummer and Matt Schaub pro-bowlers and appear like viable "franchise" Quarterbacks.... at least for a short period.... can hide Quarterbacks pretty well. Siemian, while always a borderline top 32 QB, ran it reasonably effectively last year and put into McCoy's offense looks totally exposed.

Not saying the scheme is hiding Tyrod... I don't think that it is. But it bodes well for the future when it might possibly be someone else under centre who is learning the ropes.

Gunner, in the above, how interchangeable do you regard Kubiak and Dennison?

I'm personally not yet sold on Dennison as OC. Maybe it's been injuries/backup players or maybe the guys need more time to "get" the schemes, but our rushing game has been rather a disappointment, and ambivalent about the play calling too - some good, some bad.

As far as the guys you cite, the Kubiak thing matters because Plummer went to the probowl under Kubiak as OC (after several decent years with Kubiak) and looked a bit of a mess the following year under Dennison as OC (though that could be attributed to Plummer's age, perhaps). Schaub, who I regarded as an underrated and very good QB for a good 6 year stretch, went to the probowl for the first time in 2009 with Kubiak as head coach and Kyle Shanahan as OC. He'd looked decent the previous year with the same staff. Now I'll grant you Schaub continued to look decent under Dennison for 3 years including his 2nd probowl, until he got his tootsie stomped on and got the yips with his arm or something, so there's that, but always the question, how much was Kubiak how much was Dennison?

Anyway, Vance Joseph was the hot name of the coaching search last year and the Bills were supposed to be the "hot mess" of the searching teams. Sometimes, the territory just doesn't match the map.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

I think Brock is a placeholder for a week or two, then they'll roll with Paxton Lynch.

You HAVE to play your 1st round pick eventually.

He is a great GM. He has consistently brought in talent through the draft and free agency. Wins and rings don't lie.

Brock - they wanted to resign him,he just chased the money to Houston after what he felt was a raw deal in Denver. Elway benefited by dodging that bullet.

Lynch is incomplete. You can't bust if you don't play.

How damning is that on Lynch tho? They want him to play but he hasn't even been good enough to get on the field with them wanting him to...That's WORSE than a bust...He isn't even good enough to get a chance to BE a bust...

Edited by matter2003

How damning is that on Lynch tho? They want him to play but he hasn't even been good enough to get on the field with them wanting him to...That's WORSE than a bust...He isn't even good enough to get a chance to BE a bust...

It's pretty well known that all the scouting reports felt he'd benefit from a year or two on the bench.

He wasn't ready year one, that is OK. He had a poor camp this year, but at some point, they're going to hand him the job regardless.

He might need to take his lumps in a real game to grow. I'm not super optimistic that he'll figure it out, but stranger things have happened.

Why not give chad Kelly a shot?

He hasn't practiced all year. This is a redshirt season.

It's pretty well known that all the scouting reports felt he'd benefit from a year or two on the bench.

He wasn't ready year one, that is OK. He had a poor camp this year, but at some point, they're going to hand him the job regardless.

He might need to take his lumps in a real game to grow. I'm not super optimistic that he'll figure it out, but stranger things have happened.

He hasn't practiced all year. This is a redshirt season.

Those are the same scouting reports they had on Wentz

Gunner, in the above, how interchangeable do you regard Kubiak and Dennison?

I'm personally not yet sold on Dennison as OC. Maybe it's been injuries/backup players or maybe the guys need more time to "get" the schemes, but our rushing game has been rather a disappointment, and ambivalent about the play calling too - some good, some bad.

As far as the guys you cite, the Kubiak thing matters because Plummer went to the probowl under Kubiak as OC (after several decent years with Kubiak) and looked a bit of a mess the following year under Dennison as OC (though that could be attributed to Plummer's age, perhaps). Schaub, who I regarded as an underrated and very good QB for a good 6 year stretch, went to the probowl for the first time in 2009 with Kubiak as head coach and Kyle Shanahan as OC. He'd looked decent the previous year with the same staff. Now I'll grant you Schaub continued to look decent under Dennison for 3 years including his 2nd probowl, until he got his tootsie stomped on and got the yips with his arm or something, so there's that, but always the question, how much was Kubiak how much was Dennison?

Anyway, Vance Joseph was the hot name of the coaching search last year and the Bills were supposed to be the "hot mess" of the searching teams. Sometimes, the territory just doesn't match the map.

I like Rick Dennison. He isn't Kubiak or Shanahan who are the Grandfather and Father of this offense but he is a good, solid, offensive mind and he knows and understands this offense down to the finest detail.

He is not the next Sean McVay but he is a solid, vet OC and I actually really like the job he has done for the most part.

Those are the same scouting reports they had on Wentz

Lynch isn't fit to hold Wentz's jock. Lynch was a 3rd round pick on my board. How John Elway could honestly look at him abd think "1st round QB" I have no idea.

Not to pile on the Browns but they are still paying his salary. If he somehow resurrects the Denver offense just keep pouring salt in the wound.

Thought that same thing - here is another guys the Browns could of had as a veteran - since they traded for him and all.

Cut him and then try to trade for others.

poor Browns fans.

@JamesPalmerTV

Draft picks TE Jake Butt and QB Chad Kelly practicing for the #broncos.

26CB beat me to it as usual. Word here in Denver was that Chad was on the practice field for the 1st time, and looking (not surprisingly) extremely rusty. Pretty certain he won't ever be activated this year, although it is possible he will be if the Broncs simply waive Siemien. Roll things back to Week 2 and this is a pretty astounding fall from grace for Siemien. My take: he's a perfectly decent Brian Hoyer type. He was never as good as he looked in his good games, and he's not as bad as he's looked the last couple weeks. But the Broncos QB situation is truly awful now ... bodes well for them getting knocked out of wildcard contention with the next 2 at Philly and home vs. the Pats.

I like Rick Dennison. He isn't Kubiak or Shanahan who are the Grandfather and Father of this offense but he is a good, solid, offensive mind and he knows and understands this offense down to the finest detail.

He is not the next Sean McVay but he is a solid, vet OC and I actually really like the job he has done for the most part.

Lynch isn't fit to hold Wentz's jock. Lynch was a 3rd round pick on my board. How John Elway could honestly look at him abd think "1st round QB" I have no idea.

Maybe because you aren't a scout?