Broncos Bench Trevor Siemian for Brock Osweiler

I like Rick Dennison. He isn't Kubiak or Shanahan who are the Grandfather and Father of this offense but he is a good, solid, offensive mind and he knows and understands this offense down to the finest detail.

He is not the next Sean McVay but he is a solid, vet OC and I actually really like the job he has done for the most part.

Lynch isn't fit to hold Wentz's jock. Lynch was a 3rd round pick on my board. How John Elway could honestly look at him abd think "1st round QB" I have no idea.

I guess we'll never know for sure, but I'd be astounded if the Cowboys had Prescott over Lynch on their board. When you get past those 1st/2nd/3rd overall guys, there's a huge element of luck involved drafting QBs.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're all excellent scouts with the benefit of hindsight.

Not hindsight. My view on Lynch was well publicised on these boards. Wouldn't touch him in the 1st with a barge pole.

Maybe because you aren't a scout?

You are right of course.... I am not a scout. I am a total amateur but there are players, and Lynch is certainly one, where I would love the opportunity to sit down with a professional scout and say "okay... let's go through his tape... what am I missing that you are seeing that makes you think 1st round Quarterback?" Because I genuinely could not see it on Lynch's tape. But he was a consensus 1st rounder... so there must have been something there I was missing?

EDIT: and I am not trying to paint myself as some sort of genius. My QB3 in 2016 was Connor Cook with a mid 2nd grade and he got beaten out for a #2 job by EJ Manuel.

Edited by GunnerBill

Not hindsight. My view on Lynch was well publicised on these boards. Wouldn't touch him in the 1st with a barge pole.

You are right of course.... I am not a scout. I am a total amateur but there are players, and Lynch is certainly one, where I would love the opportunity to sit down with a professional scout and say "okay... let's go through his tape... what am I missing that you are seeing that makes you think 1st round Quarterback?" Because I genuinely could not see it on Lynch's tape. But he was a consensus 1st rounder... so there must have been something there I was missing?

EDIT: and I am not trying to paint myself as some sort of genius. My QB3 in 2016 was Connor Cook with a mid 2nd grade and he got beaten out for a #2 job by EJ Manuel.

Just because you are an amateur doesn't mean they got it right. Locker, Gabbert, Manziel, this list could go on for 2 thread pages. Those guys were also "consensus" first round picks by someone.

How bad is it it you're turning to Osweiler? Maybe Siemian isn't the next Montana after all. :rolleyes:

@JamesPalmerTV

Vance Joseph told the team this morning, as expected, Brock Osweiler will start vs the Eagles

@RapSheet

The #Broncos nearly replaced Trevor Siemian in their last game. Decided to wait and ponder. Now go with Brock Osweiler, who has earned it.

Oh, it's bad in Denver. Siemian, Osweiler, and Paxton Lynch (who still can't get on the field) are all bottom of the barrell guys. Another team who will surely be in the QB market next offseason.

This could now be the destination for Cousins after the Janeane Garofalo trade.

Just because you are an amateur doesn't mean they got it right. Locker, Gabbert, Manziel, this list could go on for 2 thread pages. Those guys were also "consensus" first round picks by someone.

Locker and Gabbert were before I had started doing evaluations. I've only been trying for 4 years and my two biggest "stay aways" for supposed 1st round QBs in that time have been Johnny Manziel and Paxton Lynch. I thought Manziel was a 3rd round talent that with the personality issues factored in should not go before the 5th.

The tape showed a QB who had excellent size, excellent athleticism and a strong arm that can make every throw. He's a smart guy with a good demeanor and personality as well.

All it takes is one team to believe you are a 1st rounder, and there were no shortage of reports of teams trying to get Lynch in the 1st.

Now, he did struggle with consistency of accuracy, maybe from poor throwing motion or footwork, I don't know. I think that's where the "sit him on the bench for a year or two" comments came from.

Vision and consistency of accuracy continue to be the hurdle he has not yet overcome, but the other stuff is still there.

The tape showed a QB who had excellent size, excellent athleticism and a strong arm that can make every throw. He's a smart guy with a good demeanor and personality as well.

All it takes is one team to believe you are a 1st rounder, and there were no shortage of reports of teams trying to get Lynch in the 1st.

Now, he did struggle with consistency of accuracy, maybe from poor throwing motion or footwork, I don't know. I think that's where the "sit him on the bench for a year or two" comments came from.

Vision and consistency of accuracy continue to be the hurdle he has not yet overcome, but the other stuff is still there.

Yea he had size, athleticism and a strong arm. If NFL scouts are honestly still seeing those 3 things and saying "1st rounder" then I despair.

I just have this small feeling they will give Kelly a start before the end of the year, if they are out of it.

They'd have to make him their single designated to return guy. Don't know who else they have on IR but I'd be surprised if Kelly was their priority.

Yea he had size, athleticism and a strong arm. If NFL scouts are honestly still seeing those 3 things and saying "1st rounder" then I despair.

Not all NFL scouts. Most of us peasants only see one big board, usually a carbon copy of Mayock or Kipers, that we base our value off. Every team has a wildly different big board because every coaching system and scheme are different. Go back and watch some pre draft video and you'll see many analysts singing his praise. Same with Manziel, Gabbert, Locker, etc.

The accuracy was there in flashes, and he has a live arm that can make every throw. The bottom line is that there just aren't a bunch of big, mobile, live arm QBs walking around in the draft, and those guys will always be drafted high.

Not all NFL scouts. Most of us peasants only see one big board, usually a carbon copy of Mayock or Kipers, that we base our value off. Every team has a wildly different big board because every coaching system and scheme are different. Go back and watch some pre draft video and you'll see many analysts singing his praise. Same with Manziel, Gabbert, Locker, etc.

The accuracy was there in flashes, and he has a live arm that can make every throw. The bottom line is that there just aren't a bunch of big, mobile, live arm QBs walking around in the draft, and those guys will always be drafted high.

I know every team has wildly different boards. But I'd still like to sit down with a scout from one of the teams that were high on Paxton Lynch and for them to explain to me what they saw. Because I didn't see it at all. I didn't even see an arm that can "make all the throws". I saw an arm that was plenty strong enough, but he struggled with touch passes throughout his college career.

My bottom line is that big, athletic and big arm should not = 1st round Quarterback. And too often it does. I would like to hope that Denver saw more than just those three things and I'd be really interested to sit down and talk to someone there who scouted him. Not because I am arrogantly telling you I know more than he does.... but because I might learn something.

In contrast to Lynch I didn't really like Kizer in the last draft (though I did have a higher grade on him than on Lynch the year before) but I could at least see what those who were higher on him were seeing.

I know every team has wildly different boards. But I'd still like to sit down with a scout from one of the teams that were high on Paxton Lynch and for them to explain to me what they saw. Because I didn't see it at all. I didn't even see an arm that can "make all the throws". I saw an arm that was plenty strong enough, but he struggled with touch passes throughout his college career.

My bottom line is that big, athletic and big arm should not = 1st round Quarterback. And too often it does. I would like to hope that Denver saw more than just those three things and I'd be really interested to sit down and talk to someone there who scouted him. Not because I am arrogantly telling you I know more than he does.... but because I might learn something.

In contrast to Lynch I didn't really like Kizer in the last draft (though I did have a higher grade on him than on Lynch the year before) but I could at least see what those who were higher on him were seeing.

You don't have to go far. Try to talk with Dennison at some local bar, I'm sure him and Kubiak were heavily involved in scouting Lynch. I do remember Kubiak saying his ability to scramble behind the LOS while keeping his eyes downfield to make a play to the receivers was very rare, as it's hard to coach a young player to do that, most just take off after their first read is covered. From an arm strength perspective, he's got all the ability you'd ever want to work with. He's simply "raw", and I get how not every team would want that type of prospect in the first, but it only takes one team.

Denver had no problem sitting him for year one. They thought that the flaws in his game, largely consistency in accuracy and touch, could be improved on. He's clearly not developed at the rate they'd like, but I don't think he's entered bust category yet.

I think there is more to Lynch's game then the "big guy, big arm" mold someone like EJ Manuel was ( he actually wasn't a great athlete at all), but it's all speculation until he actually takes the field.

I honestly though Simeon was on his way to become a very good NFL starting QB, just goes to show the difference a few games can make because he was lights out the first two games of the season then the Buffalo game happened. Go figure.

As for putting in Osweiler, they play the Pats at home in two weeks and he has a head to head victory against the Pats but that during their superbowl season a few years ago and this is a completely different team now. Brady and the Pats seem to struggle in Denver regardless.

ROTFL "Savior Peterman", this speaks volumes about your QB judgement. Simeon (sic) aka Siemian played "lights out" in the first two games. Game 1: 17/28 for 219 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT, 4 sacks. Game 2: 22/32 for 231 yds, 4 TD, 1 INT, 2 sacks.

I'm not saying they were horrid games, but they were what they were: adequate QB play with flashes, some fairly typical 2nd year guy bloops like taking 4 sacks, not "lights out". Siemian's play in the Oak win (after B'lo) was not too dissimilar.

And the Patriots "struggle" in Denver to the tune of 16-3 win in 2016 with a 7 minute edge in TOP. Den beat 'em twice in 2015, but as you correctly point out that was a different Denver team.