Rubes

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is how I feel as well.

Glad to get Benjamin for that price..........but I think Watkins is a better WR and was a MUCH better fit for Tyrod's game......and perhaps most importantly they had experience together and were poised for a big season together.

Kind of an admission of error in trading Watkins by McD and Beane, IMO.

The fact that they were trying to get the troubled deep threat Martavis Byrant and then the very different Benjamin tells me they were pretty desperate for help at WR and afraid that the self inflicted positional weakness was going to cost them games.

Be interesting to see if Benjamin can assimilate into the offense quickly because he's probably not going to be able to just run 9's and deep post routes.......... and if Tyrod will have enough trust to throw to him even though he isn't a getting separation.

Carolina claims to have traded Benjamin because they already had size in Funchess and wanted more speed/quickness.........well the Bills kinda' have that same issue with Zay, Matthews and now Benjamin.

I don't think the 3 give them enough speed to stretch the field so it's probably 3 guys for 2 positions and Matthews being the FA will likely be the odd man out in 2018 and they will still probably be looking for a speed guy unless Deonte keeps making strides.

Not so much an admission of error as an adjustment to the process. They will never admit it but they are probably a little surprised this group is winning. So why not add to the mix? Besides, they get KB for 2/3 of what Sammy would cost next year. Edited by PromoTheRobot

This entire thread, when combined with the Dareus, Sammy and Darby threads is why you need to knit pick through posts here: the FO (unlike our FOs of past) have a true plan in place. Make this move which allows this move which allows this move and so on. The vast majority here take them for face value failing to understand that NONE of the people on this board know the big picture they are looking at, regardless of football knowledge.

With all of that being said, I have an immense amount of respect for some of the regulars here and enjoy being the voyeur that I am here.

This. Good post.

This is how I feel as well.

Glad to get Benjamin for that price..........but I think Watkins is a better WR and was a MUCH better fit for Tyrod's game......and perhaps most importantly they had experience together and were poised for a big season together.

Kind of an admission of error in trading Watkins by McD and Beane, IMO.

The fact that they were trying to get the troubled deep threat Martavis Byrant and then the very different Benjamin tells me they were pretty desperate for help at WR and afraid that the self inflicted positional weakness was going to cost them games.

Be interesting to see if Benjamin can assimilate into the offense quickly because he's probably not going to be able to just run 9's and deep post routes.......... and if Tyrod will have enough trust to throw to him even though he isn't a getting separation.

Carolina claims to have traded Benjamin because they already had size in Funchess and wanted more speed/quickness.........well the Bills kinda' have that same issue with Zay, Matthews and now Benjamin.

I don't think the 3 give them enough speed to stretch the field so it's probably 3 guys for 2 positions and Matthews being the FA will likely be the odd man out in 2018 and they will still probably be looking for a speed guy unless Deonte keeps making strides.

Add me to the list that agrees with you and Gunner

And yet the Bills were interested in acquiring Martavis Bryant. So you are wrong. But cling to your hatred of SW for punking off a few idiots on Instagram that were harassing him. I believe you have described the wrong individual as the low quality human. Those idiots called themselves " Bills fans"

Curious. I never read anything official there was interest. Just some spitballing from the media.

Add me to the list that agrees with you and Gunner

you're a silver lining guy. And I agree with the sentiment.

What's your take on the silver lining and upside?

He gets little separation. He doesn't have elite manuevers and YAC agility.

In our offense we will have to design plays for him that I cannot fathom us being able to run based on what I've seen.

I would not mind using him in a different way than we have seen him or our WR's used. Still pondering the ideas of his route tree, potential and how we can stack him among other things.

In our offense we will have to design plays for him that I cannot fathom us being able to run based on what I've seen.

I would not mind using him in a different way than we have seen him or our WR's used. Still pondering the ideas of his route tree, potential and how we can stack him among other things.

For me, I think it's about giving Tyrod a WR that he trusts. Granted, Tyrod's not the type to throw up jump balls very often, but you notice a difference in the balls he'll throw to Clay or Matthews vs. the ones that he'll throw to Deonte Thompson or Zay Jones.

I think Benjamin will be the type that Tyrod is willing to throw contested passes to on a more consistent basis, and it's obvious to me that they wanted to give themselves more passing options in the red zone.

If Benjamin results in the team scoring 5-6 more red zone TDs per season, then that'll be worth it to me.

For me, I think it's about giving Tyrod a WR that he trusts. Granted, Tyrod's not the type to throw up jump balls very often, but you notice a difference in the balls he'll throw to Clay or Matthews vs. the ones that he'll throw to Deonte Thompson or Zay Jones.

I think Benjamin will be the type that Tyrod is willing to throw contested passes to on a more consistent basis, and it's obvious to me that they wanted to give themselves more passing options in the red zone.

If Benjamin results in the team scoring 5-6 more red zone TDs per season, then that'll be worth it to me.

Benjamin doesn't always fight hard for balls. It's up and down. That is a concern for me. Call it part of lack of the process.

Also, the more I think about it - is Benjamin more for the future? I don't think Peterman is ever going to be a full time starter. But is Benjamin for one of the QB's they're targeting next year more than he is for Taylor? Cousins likes Reed, for example. Benjamin isn't much different. And the QB's in the draft could be a match for him, as well.

@wfnz

Marty Hurney says the #Panthers are looking to clear out the box, allow the run game to flourish, and KB doesn't help that. #MacAttack

@JoshNorris

Josh Norris Retweeted WFNZ-AM

A part of the thought process behind the Kelvin Benjamin deal: Marty Hurney views WRs differently than Dave Gettleman.

On @wfnz, Panthers GM says the Kelvin trade is like many other deals. He gathered opinions from personnel staff, Rivera from coaching staff

Benjamin doesn't always fight hard for balls. It's up and down. That is a concern for me. Call it part of lack of the process.

Also, the more I think about it - is Benjamin more for the future? I don't think Peterman is ever going to be a full time starter. But is Benjamin for one of the QB's they're targeting next year more than he is for Taylor? Cousins likes Reed, for example. Benjamin isn't much different. And the QB's in the draft could be a match for him, as well.

Oh I feel fairly certain that the Benjamin trade is partially geared toward helping out whoever the next QB may be

From an article in Yahoo sports,

Newton was a fan of Benjamin, praising him on Sunday after Carolina’s win over division rival Tampa Bay:

“He’s a person that’s an unbelievable teammate. He comes to work each and every day,” Newton said. “He may not be the talkative person all the time, but I guarantee you, when you want people in your foxhole, Kelvin Benjamin is the person that you want.

“You know you can just see it on his face. He’s usually a very enthusiastic person come gameday, and man, I could just see it.”

"Buffalo’s leading pass-catchers are running back LeSean McCoy and tight end Charles Clay; their top three receivers, Jordan Matthews, Andre Holmes and Zay Jones, have combined to offer the Bills roughly the same output -36 receptions for 404 yards – as Benjamin gave the Panthers on his own."

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/deadline-surprise-panthers-trade-wr-kelvin-benjamin-buffalo-2-205423282.html

At 6'5 250lbs you don't need much separation when you are going up against most DB's that are usually under 6" 200lbs. :D I love this trade for a 3rd/7th. Plus, Clay should be back by week 10 against NO.