Week 9: Jets' Game Preparation - Inactives Announced

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kills me every time I see somebody post that. :doh:

That's correct, because there's no such thing.

Have you never played sports before? Maybe there's no such thing in your chess club but there are definitely trap games.

A trap game is a game played against an opponent generally deemed to be easy to defeat. As a result a person or team may not prepare as thoroughly as they would for a formidable opponent. Often this attitude and its attendant lack of preparation lead to a loss.

"Seattle should be able to defeat Cleveland easily this Sunday, but they need to be careful that this does not become a trap game for them."

Edited by kdiggz

Have you never played sports before? Maybe there's no such thing in your chess club but there are definitely trap games.

So any game with a big spread is a trap game? Thats a really broad definition and I don't understand.

I've seen stats posted on here showing that "trap" games don't exist. I believe the definition in that post was a game against a clearly inferior opponent followed by a game against tough opponent. How often do teams lose the easy game relative to how often they lose the easy game normally (no trap)? Stats were convincing that having a tough opponent after an easy opponent doesn't correlate to losses as you would expect if trap games are a real thing.

Since you definition includes opponents "deemed to be easy to defeat" I don't know how you assess that. Is the expected success rate 100% for that definition?

I'm going with others that there are no such things as trap games.

Edited by YattaOkasan

In the past couple of years I would have expected a let down and poor effort. This is a far different team. I would be shocked if the Bills were not ready and playing their butts off on Thursday. It does not guarantee a win, or that the breaks will go their way, but this team will not take a game for granted.

So you guys think they will prepare just as hard for a game against a sub .500 team that they already badly beat when they have a short week, are banged up after a tough game they prepared hard for, have a long break they are making travel arrangements for and getting in touch with friends and family, then have another tough game after that they could very well be looking ahead to? Common sense tells you this could definitely be a game they look past and don't prepare for like they should.

Everyone has done it whether it's in sports or in life. If you have a test in school you think is going to be easy in a class you usually do well in are you up all night studying or are you thinking "I got this" and you go and hang out with friends instead? It's human nature. To think that doesn't happen is naive. Some of these guys are 23-25 years old. Very easy to start feeling good about yourself and checking out during a week like this.

So you guys think they will prepare just as hard for a game against a sub .500 team that they already badly beat when they have a short week, are banged up after a tough game they prepared hard for, have a long break they are making travel arrangements for and getting in touch with friends and family, then have another tough game after that they could very well be looking ahead to? Common sense tells you this could definitely be a game they look past and don't prepare for like they should.

Everyone has done it whether it's in sports or in life. If you have a test in school you think is going to be easy in a class you usually do well in are you up all night studying or are you thinking "I got this" and you go and hang out with friends instead? It's human nature. To think that doesn't happen is naive. Some of these guys are 23-25 years old. Very easy to start feeling good about yourself and checking out during a week like this.

Trust the process.

In the past couple of years I would have expected a let down and poor effort. This is a far different team. I would be shocked if the Bills were not ready and playing their butts off on Thursday. It does not guarantee a win, or that the breaks will go their way, but this team will not take a game for granted.

I think so too. But for these other guys to think it's not a possibility when it's happened over and over again to us in the past is silly.

Hey, cool insult, man. Chess club -- I'm still laughing at how badly you burned me there.

You're an idiot.

I think so too. But for these other guys to think it's not a possibility when it's happened over and over again to us in the past is silly.

I think it is entirely possible for some guys to think that way...until McD hits them with the process.

The underdog role (regardless of vegas odds) will stick with them even if they are at 14-2 and having a first round bye in the playoffs...they prepare every single day, top to bottom of the roster, and that is because they are incredibly well coached from top to bottom of the roster. Sure some guy might think the Jets are easy...but McD will change that thought quickly this week, these guys WILL be locked and loaded (that said, sure they could still lose, its the NFL, any given sunday)

I think it is entirely possible for some guys to think that way...until McD hits them with the process.

The underdog role (regardless of vegas odds) will stick with them even if they are at 14-2 and having a first round bye in the playoffs...they prepare every single day, top to bottom of the roster, and that is because they are incredibly well coached from top to bottom of the roster. Sure some guy might think the Jets are easy...but McD will change that thought quickly this week, these guys WILL be locked and loaded (that said, sure they could still lose, its the NFL, any given sunday)

Agreed. The Process is strong in that one

So I think I would call this something a little different than a trap game (I think calling it a trap game is why people are disagreeing). Maybe we can call it a "let down" game which is sounds like you're describing. I can agree with calling this game a potential "let down" game.

Would be interested in seeing a similar analysis to the other "trap" game analysis.

BTW I also am concerned about this week. Just didn't like the "trap" game part of what you were saying. Sorry if that sounds nit picky just sorta rubbed me weird.

Edited by YattaOkasan

I want a drunk Rex Ryan calling this game. I hate TNF games, but it's a good test for this team. Hopefully we get Gaines and Poyer back.

A drunk Ryan with Romo would be absolutely incredible.

Ryan: 3rd and short, full blitz here, get that mother f&%*$er!

Romo: Well that leaves man to man and WR X does a tremendous job getting open in the middle of the field which could lead to a big play.

Ryan: I'd still blitz.

*Defense blitzes and a big play occurs.*

Ryan: They should blitz again.

Romo: ...

Anyway, huge game here. Get the win and they finish the first half of the season in great position, plus with the Thursday game, it's a mini bye and hopefully they can get a few players healthy and rested for the home stretch.

The Raiders game made me feel better about where they are at. I don't love relying on turnovers to get stops and that's kind of how the TB game went. Against the Raiders, they created some turnovers, but they also forced punts and were very stout on 3rd downs. Tyrod is getting better and better. He's still missing throws you wish he would make, but all NFL QB's miss throws.

I feel pretty good about this game, but Thursday night, divisional games can easily go either way.

Edited by elroy16