What went wrong in 2011?

Another Fan

First, awesome game and team win. This team looks solid and has far exceeded my expectations at this point this year.

I can't help but think of the last time we started out 5-2 back in 2011. Ironically that year too they played the Jets in Week 9, hopefully this year will produce a much better result! If you recall that game was at The Ralph where the fans tried to have a White Out. It was an epic disaster that day, we got smashed.

But what went wrong that year? They just got exposed as being not that deep? Freddie was also out I believe the second half of the year and teams knew how to play against Gailey and Fitz's game plan more I think.

I'd imagine this team has more depth.

We were 5-2 because of Fred Jackson. People forget how dominant he was to start that season. He had 6 100+ yard rushing games in the first 9 games and got injured early week 10. I think that played a big role in our team falling apart. He wasn't just our best player on offense, but the locker room leader as well.

This is exactly the question I was just wondering. I think we were 4-0 when I made a bet with somebody on here for something like 500 bucks. It was either that the Bills wouldn't make the playoffs or wouldn't be over 500. Something like that. I just thought they were doing with smoke and mirrors.

When, they got to 5-2, I thought I was going to lose the bet and I was very happy about that.

Then the bottom fell out.

I don't know exactly why I thought what I did then, and somehow think it's different now, even though this 5-2 is also built a lot on getting turnovers............But, I think GunnerBill may be onto it.

First, awesome game and team win. This team looks solid and has far exceeded my expectations at this point this year.

I can't help but think of the last time we started out 5-2 back in 2011. Ironically that year too they played the Jets in Week 9, hopefully this year will produce a much better result! If you recall that game was at The Ralph where the fans tried to have a White Out. It was an epic disaster that day, we got smashed.

But what went wrong that year? They just got exposed as being not that deep? Freddie was also out I believe the second half of the year and teams knew how to play against Gailey and Fitz's game plan more I think.

I'd imagine this team has more depth.

2011 we were scoring a bunch of points on offense to start the year...I believe that was the year we opened on the road in KC and just annihilated them like 37-7 or something...

Basically what happened was Fitz turned back into Fitz, we'd have a few good drives to start the game, build up a lead and then the offense would go silent until midway through the 4th quarter and by that time the other team would have clawed their way back into the game and took the lead and then Fitz tried to play catch up and we know how that turned out...

The Bills were simply a below-average team, who played above their heads early in the season. They had a couple close wins that could have gone either way. Ryan Fitzpatrick was playing better than any other point during his career. Eventually it was bound to collapse. Seasons like 2011 are one of the reasons I remain a hardcore skeptic with the Bills. I'm (very slowly) starting to believe in this team. But it's really hard not to worry things will eventually fall apart.

The signs that a good start is "fluky" usually include:

- Playing weak opponents

- Winning lots of close games

- Being the beneficiary of an unusual amount of penalty calls, fumbles and "lucky" plays

- Staying virtually injury free

- Normally average or bad players suddenly looking great

The 2017 Bills have some of the warning signs. Almost all of their wins have been very close. They have gotten huge contributions from guys with less than stellar careers (Jordan Poyer, EJ Gaines, Micah Hyde, Ramon Humber, Deonte Thompson, etc.) They have gotten a ridiculous amount of fumbles and tipped interceptions. But they have also managed to beat some pretty good teams, overcome lots of injuries and most of their turnovers have been a result of being in great position.

We were 5-2 because of Fred Jackson. People forget how dominant he was to start that season. He had 6 100+ yard rushing games in the first 9 games and got injured early week 10. I think that played a big role in our team falling apart. He wasn't just our best player on offense, but the locker room leader as well.

there was a lot of mvp chatter for freddy before he got hurt that year. he was incredible. the definition of the complete back.

I believe this team is better coached and they will score more then the 11 points they scored in 2011.

division games are tough and it will come down to the best prepared team and I think the bills have that advantage even with only 4 days to do so?

Jets only have four days too. They play hard, but are very beatable.

In 2011 we were ONLY stopping teams by taking the ball away. If we didn't get a turnover it was a TD. Last week against the Buccs was a bit like that but otherwise... including today.... we are able to force 3 and outs and get teams off the the field.

Exactly, And teams figured out the Chan Gailey/Fitz offence.

It was all short throws and screens and teams started to figure it out

Ryan Fitzpatrick reverted to form. The Offense had no real threats at WR, teams figured the offense out and took away the underneath stuff. The D was average at best. The run D got smacked in the mouth by the Jets at home, that's when reality set in for me.