Some perspective on Taylor's season so far with a look ahead

Deshaun Watson is ranked 29th in pass attempts, Tyrod Taylor is ranked 30th.

Deshaun Watson has 15 TD's and 7 INT's.

Tyrod Taylor has 7 TDs and 2 INT's.

That should tell you all you need to know about Tyrod's skillset.

Tyrod played a solid game yesterday. Hats off to him and the Bills.

I just hope to see consistency game in and game out.

Edited by Real McCoy

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thinking about it immediately after the game, I was stoked we won, but I didn't put it up there with the Miami or Seattle game in 2016.

But then I started thinking about this:

Tampa 2017
40 total touches, 314 combined Net yards, 7.9 YPT, 1 TD, 0 turnovers, 9/15 (60%) on 3rd down conversions, down by 7 with less than 4 minutes in the 4th Quarter and leads a game tying drive. (Technically a GWD on the following drive courtesy mostly of Tre White and a "pass" to Taiwan Jones). Win.

@ Seattle 2016
51 total touches, 306 combined Net yards, 6.0 YPT, 2 TDs, 1 turnover, 7/11 (64%) on 3rd down conversions, down by 11 entering 4th Quarter leads the team on a drive down by 6 that gets close to the EZ but ends up being unsuccessful. Loss.

Miami 2016
53 total touches, 377 combined Net yards, 7.1 YPT, 3 TDs, 0 turnovers, 6/15 (40%) on 3rd down conversions, down by 4 with 4 minutes left in the 4th Quarter leads the team to a go-ahead TD with a TD pass to Clay, but the Dolphins get a FG and sends it to OT. Loss

On top of that, is it just me or does Taylor look a little more comfortable passing from the pocket or with a crowd around him? I'm thinking particularly of the last bomb to Thompson. Lots of TB defenders closing in on him and a crowd around him and I thought he might actually run because I thought he was about to get sacked, but instead he threw a beauty.

What do you think?

Was that the best we've seen Taylor on Sunday and is he improving?

Tyrod payed a solid game yesterday. Hats off to him and the Bills.

I just hope to see consistency game in and game out.

The Oakland game could be more of the same kind of game. Carr and their offense, but their defense is bad.

Just thinking about it immediately after the game, I was stoked we won, but I didn't put it up there with the Miami or Seattle game in 2016.

Tampa 2017

40 total touches, 314 combined Net yards, 7.9 YPT, 1 TD, 0 turnovers, 9/15 (60%) on 3rd down conversions, down by 7 with less than 4 minutes in the 4th Quarter and leads a game tying drive. (Technically a GWD on the following drive courtesy mostly of Tre White and a "pass" to Taiwan Jones). Win.

@ Seattle 2016

51 total touches, 306 combined Net yards, 6.0 YPT, 2 TDs, 1 turnover, 7/11 (64%) on 3rd down conversions, down by 11 entering 4th Quarter leads the team on a drive down by 6 that gets close to the EZ but ends up being unsuccessful. Loss.

Miami 2016

53 total touches, 377 combined Net yards, 7.1 YPT, 3 TDs, 0 turnovers, 6/15 (40%) on 3rd down conversions, down by 4 with 4 minutes left in the 4th Quarter leads the team to a go-ahead TD with a TD pass to Clay, but the Dolphins get a FG and sends it to OT. Loss

On top of that, is it just me or does Taylor look a little more comfortable passing from the pocket or with a crowd around him? I'm thinking particularly of the last bomb to Thompson. Lots of TB defenders closing in on him and a crowd around him and I thought he might actually run because I thought he was about to get sacked, but instead he threw a beauty.

What do you think?

I thought that with the bomb to Thompson. Amazing how things are better with a legit deep threat.

Tampa 2017

@ Seattle 2016

Miami 2016

What do you think?

I think Tyrod is what he is. Some games he will do great things like yesterday, and other games he will look skitterish and erratic like 2 weeks ago against Cinci.

Overall I do like Tyrod, but I don't think he is the guy that is going to take you to the promise land

I watched the game with an impartial view....the votes are in....Tyrod Taylor is one awful Throwing QB! If we had Winston, wed be 6-0

welcome to the board. I'm sure we'll all be looking forward to many more hot takes from you.

I know that throw to Thompson had to be his worst throw of the season, no?

I watched the game with an impartial view....the votes are in....Tyrod Taylor is one awful Throwing QB! If we had Winston, wed be 6-0

Just going to ignore the fact that Winston consistently turns the ball over and puts his defence in a bad spot almost every single game?

welcome to the board. I'm sure we'll all be looking forward to many more hot takes from you.

I know that throw to Thompson had to be his worst throw of the season, no?

Just my humble opinion, but go ahead and hang on to that 1 throw he made all game that wasn't a line drive from 5 yards out or wasnt overthrown by 10 yards.

Is he the QB on my team and do I want him to succeed? ABSOLUTELY. Is he a good throwing QB? NO.

Why cant people just admit this. It's not a personal thing. I dont know Taylor. I just see the game and notice that he is dangerous when he leaves the pocket. He has no confidence in the pocket. Yesterday he had Matthews open in front of him for an easy catch and he ran out of bounds. Earlier in the game he throws a 1 yard pass to Matthews to kill the half time.

Go Bills!

Just going to ignore the fact that Winston consistently turns the ball over and puts his defence in a bad spot almost every single game?

Enjoy Taylor!

Once TB solves their defense, this team will be a contender.

Just my humble opinion, but go ahead and hang on to that 1 throw he made all game that wasn't a line drive from 5 yards out or wasnt overthrown by 10 yards.

Is he the QB on my team and do I want him to succeed? ABSOLUTELY. Is he a good throwing QB? NO.

Why cant people just admit this. It's not a personal thing. I dont know Taylor. I just see the game and notice that he is dangerous when he leaves the pocket. He has no confidence in the pocket. Yesterday he had Matthews open in front of him for an easy catch and he ran out of bounds. Earlier in the game he throws a 1 yard pass to Matthews to kill the half time.

Go Bills!

Enjoy Taylor!

It's quite clear that you either

1) aren't impartial

or

2) didn't watch

Great insight!

I dont have more than that...TB Bucs have one of the worst defenses in the league and they have great offensive weapons as demonstrated yesterday.

Pretty basic stuff!

It's quite clear that you either

1) aren't impartial

or

2) didn't watch

I watched, and have been watching for a long time and am PARTIAL TO THE BILLS. Taylor is dangerous and most successful outside the pocket and a terrible Mexican dancer in the pocket. Plain as day!

Stats dont lie. 29th in Passing Yards...how many years have the Bills been a running team? Why is that?

I dont have more than that...TB Bucs have one of the worst defenses in the league and they have great offensive weapons as demonstrated yesterday.

Pretty basic stuff!

Exactly they have great offensive weapons....

Winston is a better passer than Tyrod but he also turns the ball over every game and costs his team because of that.

2 turnovers by him yesterday again putting the Bills on the their own 45 yard line, and Tampas 35.

Yes there defence sucks but they are also 2-4 because of his untimely throws and costly mistakes.

You cant win consistently in the NFL if you turn the ball over 1-2 times per game

Biggest thing for me is i hope Dennison & CO maintain what they did to our line and the ability to get the running game going.....i hope he doesnt fall back on his complete zone crap......keep tweeking the line and the plays will come and be consistant.....It showed last weekend! Now just have to plug up the pass defence abit especially if poyer and gaines are not fit!

Exactly they have great offensive weapons....

Winston is a better passer than Tyrod but he also turns the ball over every game and costs his team because of that.

2 turnovers by him yesterday again putting the Bills on the their own 45 yard line, and Tampas 35.

Yes there defence sucks but they are also 2-4 because of his untimely throws and costly mistakes.

You cant win consistently in the NFL if you turn the ball over 1-2 times per game

I got no complaints with that.

Question:

Trade Taylor for Winston right now....do you do it?

Tampa 2017

@ Seattle 2016

Miami 2016

What do you think?

Just going off of my own eye test here, but I think Tyrod is looking to throw a lot more than he did the past couple seasons. Like on the missed TD to Taiwan Jones he had a lot of space, people in the gameday thread were saying he should have just run for the 1st. Thats a 50/50 argument but you have to admit thats what people have wanted to see from Tyrod. Instead of getting the 1st with his legs, he kept his eyes downfield and took a shot at the end zone. Didnt work out but the mindset is right.

I got no complaints with that.

Question:

Trade Taylor for Winston right now....do you do it?

If I could trade Winston for Tyrod OR trade the rest of our offense for the rest of their offense, Id take the 2nd option. Our #1 receiver any week would be their #3 or #4. They have 2 tight ends at least as good as OLeary. Winston cant throw those contested balls and expect anything if Zay Jones is the target.

Go Bills!

Whaaaaaaaaaat?!

I've decided that I despise posters like you.

You're a troll

OR

You're a liar

OR

You're so entrenched in your opinion that it acts like LSD on your perception and makes you see (or not see) things that just aren't true

It's gotta be one of those 3 things, and I find the first 2 particularly loathsome. The 3rd also makes me feel sorry for you.

1 throw all game, eh?

Yeah, let's neglect the other 2 20+ yard throws to Thompson along with the 22 yard TD to Thomas along with the 34 yard strike up the deep middle of the field (*GASP*!!!!) to O'Leary.

But no, let's just say something stupid and loathsome, instead. Good for you :thumbsup:

Go Bills!

Enjoy Taylor!

at the end of the day, a majority here know he is not long term. most, like yourself want to see him succeed while he's here and so far they sit at 4-2, 10 to go. most know he's not the greatest passer. as for the hang on to that one throw, damn nice throw I may add. thompson had 4 catches (no line drives from 5 yds) for 107 yds (27, 22td, 23, 44 ) not a bad day for just signing with the team and only few days preparation.

it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me to try and put him down after a decent game and a win none the less. that's just me though, I'll give props when they arise and I will agree, to a point, when the criticism is warranted. I'm also one to not give a whole lot of praise to the opponents QB or lavish in the fact they may be better and the team would do better, if in place of taylor. why, to prove what? it is what it is.

nothing wrong with hypotheticals though, even if unrealistic.

that's not to say I don't respect the play out of some of the top QBs in the league. winston is no rogers. he does have some good weapons and makes the throws but he's also pretty careless with the football. would I want him on the bills. no thank you. taylor will hopefully suffice and 2018 may have a diamond in the rough they'll draft and go forward from there. not a big winston fan and glad we beat him and his team yesterday.

Enjoy Taylor!

I may of misunderstood you for a bills fan. but this says you're pretty high on winston/tb?. they gave ne a run for their money and had the kicker got off the shitter, they may have won the damn game. they're not as bad as their record shows but I see no reason to praise them/him?

Just going off of my own eye test here, but I think Tyrod is looking to throw a lot more than he did the past couple seasons. Like on the missed TD to Taiwan Jones he had a lot of space, people in the gameday thread were saying he should have just run for the 1st. Thats a 50/50 argument but you have to admit thats what people have wanted to see from Tyrod. Instead of getting the 1st with his legs, he kept his eyes downfield and took a shot at the end zone. Didnt work out but the mindset is right.

If I could trade Winston for Tyrod OR trade the rest of our offense for the rest of their offense, Id take the 2nd option. Our #1 receiver any week would be their #3 or #4. They have 2 tight ends at least as good as OLeary. Winston cant throw those contested balls and expect anything if Zay Jones is the targe

That play actually helped me get some respect back to TT as a QB. Yeah it sucked the TD throw wasn't a strike but at least he made a QB decision there. I agree the mindset was right 100%.

That play actually helped me get some respect back to TT as a QB. Yeah it sucked the TD throw wasn't a strike but at least he made a QB decision there. I agree the mindset was right 100%.

The throw was perfect. Jones stopped running for no reason at about the five, then continued on and had to dive. If he just keeps running it hits him in perfect stride.

TT had a good game yesterday. But here's something I would have liked to see him do. That dumb call at the end of the half, the one McD took the blame for? TT could have and should have changed the play at the line. He should know you have to throw into the end zone or to the sideline there.

He should have enough savvy given his time in the league to be trusted with audibles.

TT had a good game yesterday. But here's something I would have liked to see him do. That dumb call at the end of the half, the one McD took the blame for? TT could have and should have changed the play at the line. He should know you have to throw into the end zone or to the sideline there.

He should have enough savvy given his time in the league to be trusted with audibles.

Or just thrown it over Matthews' head. That was a pitiful call and decision and pass.

as bad as it was and it was bad, it's behind them. hopefully he and the team will learn from it moving forward?

Im not the biggest TT fan at all, but one positive I liked was he was more assertive in the running game and made his mind up quicker to pull it down and take off. It will always be his biggest strength and he needs to use it a lot more. When you got open field in front of you, pull it down and go.

Indy, i don't know that I've ever seen Tyrod audible out of a play.

as bad as it was and it was bad, it's behind them. hopefully he and the team will learn from it moving forward?

One hopes so. Good victory. Now take down the Raiders.

Indy, i don't know that I've ever seen Tyrod audible out of a play.

I think the same. He should be given the keys to the car.

I think we can all agree that the QB search should be over before it ever started. We found our guy. Give him the key to the city and just enjoy the ride

I will be shocked if they don't draft a guy day one next year. But as long as TT is the guy, turn him loose. Let him audible. Give him the keys. Don't limit him.

I think we can all agree that the QB search should be over before it ever started. We found our guy. Give him the key to the city and just enjoy the ride

You've sounded a little frustrated and snippy lately with this topic. You and your overt sarcasm. :flirt:

Everything all right buddy? 0:)

Edited by transplantbillsfan

The throw was perfect. Jones stopped running for no reason at about the five, then continued on and had to dive. If he just keeps running it hits him in perfect stride.

Kelly, come on... seriously?

We won, stop complaining.

You've sounded a little frustrated and snippy lately with this topic. You and your overt sarcasm. :flirt:

We can ask the same of you. I noticed you refused to reply to my post about the catchable passes.

Hard to admit an error on your part?

Taylor should have just thrown it away, however mistaken the call was. He shares the blame.

You're a dumbass troll who clearly doesn't watch this team.

Superior running game, huh?

Go away.

We aren't a superior running team in 2017, so are you a troll or a moron?

Better than 2 for 16 :flirt:

Did you not understand what he said?

Worst poster in tbd history

Edited by Game Manager

Ya know, unrelenting bitter irony just ain't a good look for you.......

We can ask the same of you. I noticed you refused to reply to my post about the catchable passes.

Hard to admit an error on your part?

Choosing not to reply to a post is a little different than the consistent "just crown him already!" posts bang has been posting lately.

And what post?

I don't read every single post of yours and I often don't reply to you anymore because you told me you aren't serious about most of what you say, hence the "Shady" name. Once you said that, it made me not really care about replying to you because I don't know when you're serious or if you're ever serious about what you say. And sometimes maybe you are serious and realize you said something you shouldn't have, and then you use this "Shady" facade as a means to excuse yourself.

How about you leave a note at the end of your posts from now on saying whether we should take you seriously or not? :flirt:

Worst poster in tbd history

Whoops... looks like you're history now. 0:)

Edited by transplantbillsfan

Not frustrated at all actually. Other than the Tyrod discussion being stale everything is fine. Thanks for checking up on me. Youre a true friend ;)

Ya know, unrelenting bitter irony just ain't a good look for you.......

What would make you happy?