TNF: KC vs. OAK on CBS, NFLN, & Amazon Prime at 8:25 PM ET

One thing I noticed last night that seemed more obvious than normal is that - on almost every play there is a foul being committed somewhere on the field. Basically that means the refs can throw a flag on just about every play if they really want to. So they get to pick and choose which ones to throw. The number of fouls committed in that game that weren't called was disgusting. Blatant holds by linemen and secondary. Blocks in the back on multiple occasions even at the point of attack. Offensive pass interference (that was actually called miraculously). I even think I saw an illegal formation on the Raiders that wasn't mentioned. And yet the refs called a pansy penalty because a guy hit a quarterback who was still up on his feet trying to advance the football toward a first down. Officiating in the NFL is just bad. And it has a MASSIVE impact on which way games go. Often times drive killers or drive saviors that result in points being won or lost.

Thanks for echoing the point I made last night very early on in this thread....that the NFL is a joke, mainly because the officiating is so inconsistent and/or biased....and obviously, the whole national anthem issue has turned many people away.

I didn't watch much of the game, because the poor/inconsistent officiating is such a joke, I can't stand to watch it. Then I wake up to see the highlights of the penalty-fest at the end of the game....SMDH. Chiefs fans have to be livid this AM. LOL

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for echoing the point I made last night very early on in this thread....that the NFL is a joke, mainly because the officiating is so inconsistent and/or biased....and obviously, the whole national anthem issue has turned many people away.

I didn't watch much of the game, because the poor/inconsistent officiating is such a joke, I can't stand to watch it. Then I wake up to see the highlights of the penalty-fest at the end of the game....SMDH. Chiefs fans have to be livid this AM. LOL

I think it is probably as much the teams' and players' fault as it is the refs'. The players are committing penalties like crazy it seems. Play after play after play. And they usually get away with it. Once in a while the refs flag them for things they have been getting away with week after week game after game - like the Patriots and their history of running pick plays.

If the refs caught and flagged every penalty the games would take 5 hours or longer. I don't know how they are ever going to fix the issue because as it stands it is in the players' best interest to commit the fouls - except defensive pass interference perhaps. But otherwise they may as well hold, chop block, pick, and block in the back all day.

I don't see the NFL getting this fixed. I can't imagine how they would. They would have to ruin a number of games week after week by flagging everything. Fans and teams would outrage and say "just let them play".

I said it during the fiasco...did anyone think that the game was going to end before the Raiders scored?

Once that last drive started and the KC player didn't tackle Cook at that sticks early in the drive i got the feeling. What is that feeling exactly? I'm not sure. It sure is strange how the primetime matchups are always the most dramatic.

Anyone that gambles money should bet heavily on Atlanta getting revenge Sunday night because that will make the rest of the season more intresting and even if they aren't up for the challenge the men throwing the yellow flags will be.

I think it is probably as much the teams' and players' fault as it is the refs'. The players are committing penalties like crazy it seems. Play after play after play. And they usually get away with it. Once in a while the refs flag them for things they have been getting away with week after week game after game - like the Patriots and their history of running pick plays.

If the refs caught and flagged every penalty the games would take 5 hours or longer. I don't know how they are ever going to fix the issue because as it stands it is in the players' best interest to commit the fouls - except defensive pass interference perhaps. But otherwise they may as well hold, chop block, pick, and block in the back all day.

I don't see the NFL getting this fixed. I can't imagine how they would. They would have to ruin a number of games week after week by flagging everything. Fans and teams would outrage and say "just let them play".

Why would the even want to fix it?

NFL refs remind me of being a kid. Remember playing racing games at the arcade and when you fall behind the leader you suddenly become faster until you catch up? No lead was ever safe!!

With ratings dropping and NFL owners being so concerned I expect that speed boost to get even stronger. Prime time games most importantly.

That wasn't the refs fault. The calls were correct and Crabtree pushed off again on the winning TD

That wasn't the refs fault. The calls were correct and Crabtree pushed off again on the winning TD

I think it is as much the cba as the refs. So little time to teach these guys technique and fundamentals and get them embedded in the scheme. The result is a lot of fouls that have to be called.

I think it is as much the cba as the refs. So little time to teach these guys technique and fundamentals and get them embedded in the scheme. The result is a lot of fouls that have to be called.

Nah, the refs still suck. Take for example, the first TD to Cooper. He clearly pushes off, the ref see's the push off, and throws the flag. Then they announce no penalty... That stuff in infuriating. Why did you throw the flag if there was no foul? You clearly saw something.

Nah, the refs still suck. Take for example, the first TD to Cooper. He clearly pushes off, the ref see's the push off, and throws the flag. Then they announce no penalty... That stuff in infuriating. Why did you throw the flag if there was no foul? You clearly saw something.

Yes the refs are not good but I think the reason that games are getting more littered with flags is as much the players as the refs.

But as far as your smart bills fan comment, are you implying that the "smart fans" are all the homers that convince themselves the Bills are going to win every single week?

Not at all. I spend more than my share of time lubing up for our games vs the Pats* every year.

What I'm suggesting is that watching a team win a game like that, and quickly shifting directly "Bills will lose to them" tells me you see the game of football through an emotional lens instead of a strategic one. Your comment that you live in Oakland only further supports that, and I completely understand the emotions of it all.

Yes, there are times you can look at another team and think "No chance in hell the Bills beat them."

But the Raiders are not one of those teams. Not two days ago and not today.

And I'm not convinced the Bills are the pushovers we've become accustomed to. I know many here are already eager to fire the coach and GM five games into their news jobs, but I happen to like what I see taking shape, and after watching them knock off two undefeated teams this year, and watching the team constantly shift and mold to fight with what it has, I'm not convinced there is any one team right now, on this day, who would be considered an automatic loss for the Bills.

Yes, they WILL lose more games. But not a single one will be automatic. Not one.

Enjoy the journey, wouldja?

It's the morning after. Now does anyone think the refs were excessive in calling all those penalties with 0.00 seconds left in the game?

I mean, I've never seen a game won with untimed down.

And I've never seen 4 penalties called in a ROW! with NO TIME LEFT EITHER!

I mean usually they just let them play at the end of a game! I gotta feeling this was dialed up by NFL HQ. Just like that touch-back call in the Jets-Pats game.

KC got robbed here.

It's the morning after. Now does anyone think the refs were excessive in calling all those penalties with 0.00 seconds left in the game?

I mean usually they just let them play at the end of a game! I gotta feeling this was dialed up by NFL HQ. Just like that touch-back call in the Jets-Pats game.

KC got robbed here.

It did seem really weird, BUT, all those calls were legit penalties, so there's that.. ;)

Tim-

KC got robbed here.

All correct calls. Probably could have called on Crabtree again on the winning TD, he pushed off.

I thought it was interesting that on all the replays of Crabtree's catch, they started well after he pushed the DB away. There's no indication from those replays about the obvious foul Crabtree committed.

You can't blame the players or the teams. They want to win and they have to play in the environment that exists. WRs and TEs will push off all game, catch a lot of balls and are willing to take an occasional OPI call like it was a tax they have to pay. If they didn't do that, they'd catch fewer balls and be benched or cut. Teams could teach WRs not to play like that but why would they?

The NFL is on a steep, slippery slope toward WWF standards. No one will take it seriously, and the fans of actual sports will move on.

Have to see what the Bills do first this week against the Bucs, but the Raiders essentially saved their season last night with an epic come from behind win making the stakes very high next week in Buffalo compared to riding a 5 game losing streak.

As for the Chiefs though, their defensive issues are starting to come full circle like most expected when they lost their lynchpin Eric Berry for the season in the opener. So I think that had also had a lot to do with the Raiders offense suddenly waking up.