Shaq Lawson Another Whaley Mistake?

Irv

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From day one I thought a good comparison for Shaq in the NFL would be Brandon Graham. At pick 19 it's a long shot you get a 10 to 15 sack a year guy, but I completely disagree Lawson hasnt been a solid player this year, especially for being a a low 1st round pick.

He is trending towards 38 tackles for 6.5 sacks, and if you go by stats alone, which your shouldnt thats the type of year you should expect. I think he is right on track. There should have never been an expectation he was going to come in and be a ten sack a year guy, he isnt that type of player.

From day one I thought a good comparison for Shaq in the NFL would be Brandon Graham. At pick 19 it's a long shot you get a 10 to 15 sack a year guy, but I completely disagree Lawson hasnt been a solid player this year, especially for being a a low 1st round pick.

He is trending towards 38 tackles for 6.5 sacks, and if you go by stats alone, which your shouldnt thats the type of year you should expect. I think he is right on track. There should have never been an expectation he was going to come in and be a ten sack a year guy, he isnt that type of player.

Did you factor in him playing in four games?

You're right. Rob Ninkovich was a disappointment in NE because he only averaged about 5 sacks a year.

Can you please start a box score scouting website?

Oh, that's a perfect reference point. Pass rushing is often about how they complement each other. Rare that you have two phenom edge rushers.

Ninkovich being really disciplined, helping to contain while Chandler Jones flies in from the other side? That can work for Shaq & Jerry.

Oh, that's a perfect reference point. Pass rushing is often about how they complement each other. Rare that you have two phenom edge rushers.

Ninkovich being really disciplined, helping to contain while Chandler Jones flies in from the other side? That can work for Shaq & Jerry.

Shaq and Jerry sounds like a Barber Shop duo.

Shaq might be the only good draft pick Whaley ever made. And Rex probably begged him to do it. Otherwise he probably would've picked Laquon Treadwell or Christian Hackenberg or something.

This. He's one of the few good picks by Whaley.

He was drafted to fit into Rex's 3-4 man-coverage defense, much like Ragland & Darby. It's on him and his coaches to get him adjusted to this 4-3 zone scheme.

Didn't he come out earlier in the year and say he did NOT fit Rex's scheme and he didn't know why they had drafted him? He seems to feel he fits the current scheme better.

He was drafted to fit into Rex's 3-4 man-coverage defense, much like Ragland & Darby. It's on him and his coaches to get him adjusted to this 4-3 zone scheme.

Sign him to an extension, in two years our next coach will switch back to a 3-4.

Number 19 pick overall. I give him a pass last year because he was hurt. I get that. But through 5 games he has 2 sacks and 12 tackles. When I watch him he just seems really slow. Is it the system or is he just not that good? Really low output for such a high draft pick. Disappointed.

Sometimes it's hard to quantify the quality of play of defensive lineman. Stats don't always tell the story. I think this is the case With Shaq. He has done an excellent job taking on blockers and forcing running backs into spaces where open linebackers have been in a position to make tackles. In other words, I think he is playing his position exactly how the coaching staff is asking him to play it.

We need to slide Lawson in to a tighter 43 to supplement him with Adolphus Washington. Washington is lean and agile enough to move tackles.

A 300lbs guy is lean? Then who is fat or large?

Which brings me to the question... why has no NFL team taken a flier on a 450 lbs sumo wrestler? They are athletes and agile. Their job is to not be moved from a point in space.

At least bring one to camp... imagine trying to move that guy off of the center!! Sumo guy plays on 1st down only and goal line stands!!!

Can't count last year because of the injury but I think Lawson has been solid both against the run and rushing the passer and certainly don't believe he's a finished product yet.

Not every 1st round Dline is going to get 10+ sacks per season anyway but way too early to say bust or wasted pick and pretty sure this new regime would have already tried unloading him like just about every other Whaley player if they felt that way.

Number 19 pick overall. I give him a pass last year because he was hurt. I get that. But through 5 games he has 2 sacks and 12 tackles. When I watch him he just seems really slow. Is it the system or is he just not that good? Really low output for such a high draft pick. Disappointed.

He's a good player. Probably not going to be a superstar but solid starting role player.