Do you believe the Bills are a playoff team in 2017?

Hello Two Bills Drive posters,

My name is Ryan Talbot. I'm a contributing writer at NewYorkUpstate.com. We're looking to get Bills fans more involved in articles and during the team's bye week, we're asking: Are the Bills a playoff team in 2017? If you want to get involved, simply respond with why you believe the Bills are or are not a playoff contender this season. Just a sentence or two will suffice. We'll use a mix of responses from here and on social media so I can't guarantee that every response will be used, but I hope you'll consider providing your thoughts on this topic.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think so. I just think that they'll struggle too often to score 20 points, which is going to get them to 7 losses (or more). In my view, they have 3 automatic losses on the horizon - NE twice and KC. I don't see them going 7-1 in the other 8 games. I think that 10-6 is necessary for the playoffs because I think that Denver will definitely get to 10 and some other team too. Who that is, I don't know at this point.

Edited by dave mcbride

Hello Two Bills Drive posters,

My name is Ryan Talbot. I'm a contributing writer at NewYorkUpstate.com. We're looking to get Bills fans more involved in articles and during the team's bye week, we're asking: Are the Bills a playoff team in 2017? If you want to get involved, simply respond with why you believe the Bills are or are not a playoff contender this season. Just a sentence or two will suffice. We'll use a mix of responses from here and on social media so I can't guarantee that every response will be used, but I hope you'll consider providing your thoughts on this topic.

Paul Lux in Chicago - The Bills are not a playoff contender. While the defense (via turnovers) has allowed this team to exceed expectations, the offense is beyond anemic. Teams that can defend the run and short passing game won't need to have a lot of offense themselves to win games. Getting McCoy more involved in the offense will be extremely difficult until Taylor proves that he can throw receivers open. Color me skeptical that this is much better than a 0.500 team.

No I don't.

Like many fans and media I had this team pegged for a 3-13 or 4-12 type of season this year, and while they've certainly surprised and will (likely) be better than that I think another 8-8 type of season is the ceiling for this team given the QB situation and other glaring flaws that continue to be magnified on a weekly basis. I also don't think the defense will hold up because if you take away the turnovers the last few weeks they've actually been pretty bad in terms of the yardage and big plays given up and just like in years past this team won't sustain that type of play, at least with the turnover pace.

Best thing that can happen for this team right now is a QB change to at least try and make things interesting but worst case we lose games with a young rookie vs a guy who is a finished product and only going to get worse from here on out since opposing coaches have the formula to defend him and this offense.

I think they are a playoff contender because this defense will make sure they are in every game but I'm not yet ready to say that they ARE a playoff team. A lot rides on how quickly Clay and Matthews can return.

I agree. Even with those two in the lineup, the margin for error on a week to week basis is pretty thin.

I don't think so. I just think that they'll struggle too often to score 20 points, which is going to get them to 7 losses (or more). In my view, they have 3 automatic losses on the horizon - NE twice and KC. I don't see them going 7-1 in the other 8 games.

See, I think this team is disciplined enough to do it, given who is on the rest of the schedule.

All of the other games are winnable. Sweep the Jets and Miami, beat Indy and LA and then win two of Tampa, New Orleans and Oakland. The path is still there especially since it seems like to this point not many AFC teams are separating themselves from the pack.

It does also depend on guys like Matthews and Clay too.

Edited by Big C

Unlikely in my opinion. Not without wide receivers that are good enough to be starting in the NFL (and the Bills don't have any). Clay going down certainly is a huge problem as well.

The defense is playing great, borderline fantastic. But without legitimate wide receivers, and a quarterback that can consistently get the ball to them, the Bills have little to no chance.

The defense can't be expected to carry the offense that much.

Were 3-2 at the bye in 1st place with the Pats* as well as a lot of other afc teams looking beatable and our defense looking fast hungry and disciplined. I believe we can be. Once Zay gets used to the NFL stage and Matthews is back I think our O will look better. We have to get Shady going though.

Edited by CDogg20

Not yet. Like another thread said, this feels like 2014. Incredible defense, crap offense. This time, its due to low talent.

Hopefully this time the coach doesn't sneak away in the dead of night. We are on the right path, we just won't see the fruits of the labor for a year at least.

Its quite incredible - it seems we have hit a "reset" button putting us just before Rex showed up and destroyed everything.

Edited by BillsEnthusiast

Not this year..... No QB and no WRs in a passing league isn't going to get it done. We will probably win 7-8 this year which is 2 more than i thought heading into the year thanks to the defense. We don't have a passing game and the running game is pretty much non-existent as well. Tough to win scoring 16 points per game. Not going to be enough. Get a real QB and some NFL caliber WRs and we'll talk again in the next year or 2.