McD: Dareus in competition with Thornton for starting role

YoloinOhio

All this Dareus Hate. Yes, he does not play up to his incredible talent and potential. Yes, he may be playing hurt. He still is capable of being an asset and a beast on the field. The offenses still are game planning around him. Yes, his contract was a huge mistake by the Bills. But this nonsense about taking a huge cap hit is idiotic.When his contract will allow a trade without a massive cap hit, go ahead and give him another chance to "prove it" with another team. not at a loss though.

And this elevation of McD as some saintly genius. This worship of some nebulous "process" as a miracle cure.

I see McD as a egotistical crusader who has been able to correct the damage done to the defense by another egotistical personality named REX. The Bills D was great before Rex, it has just returned to where it was pre-Rex.

Yes, somebody did great on bringing in Poyer , Hyde. They hit the jackpot on Tre in the draft. They brought in Hauschka in FA. It amazes me that everyone gives McD 100% of the credit for them, but puts down Whaley for other selections. If it turned out good, it was McD, if it turned out bad it was Whaley. Everything that happens that turns out good is because of the "process", while everything that happens bad is Whaley's fault.

The Offense under McD is much worse than when McD was brought in.

McD has not proven anything other than he does not suck as bad as Rex did on the Defensive side of the ball.

Yikes!

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's so easy to do this.

The Bills needed help on the defensive line that year, and Marcel Dareus was the best DT they could have gotten. It made perfect sense.

No one could project how things would turn out the way they did. Also Dareus has had some All-Pro seasons with us.

I don't blame Dareus for the previous 2 seasons, when Wrecks made him a Nose Tackle, which is not what Dareus is.

Don't get me wrong, I'm upset at Dareus with his attitude, because he has the talent and he can be a difference maker. We've seen him do that before.

Lamenting on who else we could have drafted that year, is ridiculous.

Are you sure? Dareus has had a rocky road with the Bills from the very beginning...filled with ups and a lot of downs.

I'm not sure his deficient character traits couldn't have been diagnosed prior to the draft.

I would actually rank "bad attitude" or "no character" as MORE IMPORTANT than athletic talent.

I.E., huge talent trumps all concerns, EXCEPT bad attitude or huge character flaws...

And that's b/c no matter how talented you are in sports, if you are a punk dead beat, your talent will not consistently shine through.

I just wonder how much the Bills organization back then tried to assess character issues in guys. Or how much that is really done around the league. It should be a huge priority.

Watch HARD KNOCKS on HBO over the years and all the guys called in to the coach's office to get cut or placed on practice squad, etc...

It is very easy to tell who the good kids are and who have their act together...and who the dead beats are.

I actually think the current regime at OBD is thinking a lot about "character" and considers this a priority.

So that is good!

and if we had Cam Newton at QB right now you would be mad that we lost 1-2 extra games that season? i don't even remember that season

which season..

Bills have had difficulty drafting right up until whaley had the reins. Certainly couldn't draft a QB if he was standing in front of Nix .

Then the pro scouting got really good but the drafting was still iffy. Hope next year is still trending up

which season..

Bills have had difficulty drafting right up until whaley had the reins. Certainly couldn't draft a QB if he was standing in front of Nix .

Then the pro scouting got really good but the drafting was still iffy. Hope next year is still trending up

They already came out and said they were taking Cam in that draft. 2 more losses and he would be our QB right now

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bills-gm-explains-how-andrew-luck-spoiled-plan-to-draft-cam-newton/

First coaching staff in his life probably that doesn't coddle him.

Nick Saban is not a coddler. At least that is how it appears with this scowling coach who menacingly paces the sidelines.

Edited by JohnC

Heard them talking yesterday on ESPN about NE's troubles on defense and maybe they need to think about trading Jimmy Garoppolo

would you trade him for Darius straight up? Assuming he agreed to an extension prior to making the deal.

NE is maybe the one place that wouldn't be scared off by his salary and also the one place that may be able to straighten him out. I'm sure Gilmore could help him adapt! :lol:

I doubt the Pats are willing to absorb his contract. They have a ton wrapped up in Brady- but if willing to trade for Jimmy G straight I would do it in a heartbeat.

Nice link Kdiggz !

Still anti-tank? You said yourself you don't even remember that year. So why would putting in the backup QB and missing out on 2 of those wins in a meaningless season matter if the result was we had Cam at QB for the next 10 years?

If he has some pride and wants to play football he might care.

If he doesn't then this will just get less effort from him. Either direction willl lend to its own resolution path I suppose...

he's got enough money to smoke weed and play video games and drag race cars for the rest of his life. not a lot of motivation for him to rise to the challenge. a player like that, you need to make sure his contract is performance based!

Still anti-tank? You said yourself you don't even remember that year. So why would putting in the backup QB and missing out on 2 of those wins in a meaningless season matter if the result was we had Cam at QB for the next 10 years?

anti tank on principle. cant break it.

@mikerodak

Bills coach Sean McDermott notes "competition" when asked if Cedric Thornton or Marcell Dareus will start at defensive tackle this Sunday in Cincinnati. Dareus' playing time could increase after an ankle injury limited him last week, but it seems the coaching staff wants to give Thornton a shot at taking that top role alongside Kyle Williams.

@kmart_BN

Talking about Marcell Dareus + the #Bills' DL pieces, Sean McDermott dropped a telling line: It's all about "who can get the job done.

Listening to McDermott talk about Marcell Dareus is... interesting.

McDermott trying to light that fire in "Mr. Big Stuff"