How losing Gilmore helped Bills build a winning secondary

YoloinOhio

This seems Wicked Smaht

@mikerodak

With the $13 million/year the Patriots spent on underperforming Stephon Gilmore, the Bills remade entire secondary

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/29359/how-losing-stephon-gilmore-helped-bills-build-a-winning-secondary

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- For years, the New England Patriots' savvy management of the NFL's salary cap has led to younger and cheaper players replacing big-ticket free agents who signed elsewhere after their cost had exceeded their value.

This season, the tables appear to have been turned against the Patriots by their long-suffering division rival, the Buffalo Bills.

In all, Buffalo has received 4-for-1 value in letting Gilmore walk. The Bills' four top defensive backs -- Hyde ($4 million), Poyer ($2.475 million), White ($1.834 million) and Gaines ($1.797 million) -- count about $10 million against the team's salary cap in 2017. That is only slightly more than the $8.568 million hit for New England from Gilmore's contract, which averages $13 million per season -- or more than the $11.872 million total that Hyde, Poyer and White will be paid on average through 2020.Moreover, Buffalo added to its future draft assets this offseason while reassembling its secondary.

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems Wicked Smaht

@mikerodak

With the $13 million/year the Patriots spent on underperforming Stephon Gilmore, the Bills remade entire secondary

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/29359/how-losing-stephon-gilmore-helped-bills-build-a-winning-secondary

Wicked Smaht AND mikerodak

no no no that never happens

Pro Football Focus' grading has also not been friendly to Gilmore this season. They rank him 71st among NFL cornerbacks. The Bills have two cornerbacks (White No. 5 and Gaines No. 18) in the top 20 of PFF's grading, while Poyer is No. 8 among safeties and Hyde is No. 34.

I got flamed for this when I said it before but I’ve trusted this group since they were brought on board as there was no reason not to. What was seemingly foolish transactions were clearly based on what they had seen...and since none of us are there, you have to trust in them.

I look at what Sammy has done and simply say, “Thank God he is not ours”. Not that he hasn’t or won’t have big games but i don’t believe he will be worth what he demands come the end of this season. Would be nice to have him, but....

I got flamed for this when I said it before but I’ve trusted this group since they were brought on board as there was no reason not to. What was seemingly foolish transactions were clearly based on what they had seen...and since none of us are there, you have to trust in them.

I look at what Sammy has done and simply say, “Thank God he is not ours”. Not that he hasn’t or won’t have big games but i don’t believe he will be worth what he demands come the end of this season. Would be nice to have him, but....

Not a great point when looking objectively at the Bills' receiving corps. Make that receiving corpse.

Not a great point when looking objectively at the Bills' receiving corps. Make that receiving corpse.

I agree, and I was in favor of the trade. At the time I thought more highly of Boldin than I should have, and expected a little more from Jones. Now we are left with nothing. It's been a great season up to this point. I'd hate to see a promising season go down the tubes because the FO doesn't care about the WR position. We are currently a contender. At the very least, they should be exploring trades. I stand by my hypothesis that the WR position shouldn't be highly valued. You don't need superstar receivers to win games. Wheat you do you need are guys who can play decent football. At this time we don't have any recievers capable of playing decent football. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

We had to trade for Gaines. And use a first rounder on White. So not entirely accurate to make it a dollars to dollars thing.

excellent point. but man it feels good to watch us hit on a 1st round pick and see Belichick screw up another personnel move.

$40m GUARANTEED for gilmore. Hes basically uncuttable, which means Bill has to continually be reminded he sucks at being a GM. Like when he watched Chandler Jones dominate last week and he sits with the worst defense in the league.

GEEEEENIUS.....

I agree, and I was in favor of the trade. At the time I thought more highly of Boldin than I should have, and expected a little more from Jones. Now we are left with nothing. It's been a great season up to this point. I'd hate to see a promising season go down the tubes because the FO doesn't care about the WR position. We are currently a contender. At the very least, they should be exploring trades. I stand by my hypothesis that the WR position shouldn't be highly valued. You don't need superstar receivers to win games. Wheat you do you need are guys who can play decent football. At this time we don't have any recievers capable of playing decent football.

Trust the process...