Jim Kelly disrespected by Shady stretching during Anthem

JerseyBills

Yep. However, choosing that time guarantees very strong backlash. In my opinion, that backlash waters down their message.

I wonder how many players knew it was Gold Star Families Day?

Well having the POTUS come out with the comments he did kinda forced the issue to occur. I would think if there was the ability to have picked a weekend they wouldve done another.

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because a guy can throw does not mean I care what he thinks.

Because a guy can run does not meam I care what he thinks.

This is a big fat ball of I don't care.

I generally have an opinion here, but am just so over this whole politcs/sports merger that I just threw up a little in my mouth thinking about it.

I have had the privilege of serving alongside these brave men and women for over 32 years personally witnessed the caskets being unloaded off the aircraft. I challenge each of you to make a trip to Walter Reed Medical Center and witness first-hand what these Brave individuals have done for you I guarantee you will think differently when these losers wearing costumes not uniforms disrespect our heros in uniform.

I hear you, I was a Marine and get that part. But one has nothing to do with the other.

My problem is the selective outrage. Telling people not to "disrespect the flag" ends up being just another vehicle to shout people of color down. They have a legitimate grip, one I support fully. They are treated differently than those of us that are white.

I say selective because in order to shut down decent "we" say it's disrespectful to the country and our troops. Welp, I can go to Wal Mart and buy a pair of star spangled boxers and a 30 pack of flag covered Budweiser. I mean I know nothing says I love my country more than sweat stains all over the stars and stripes from peoples nether regions. Or the drunk dude pissing in the sink in the bathroom during the anthem.

I fully support what they are doing because the cause in my opinion is just. That's why I chose to serve. To defend those that need it. That is not why everyone does. Just like white people or brown people Veterans are not a monolithic group.

My point is simply that we should remove the hyperbole Simply have the the discussion at hand.

I think it takes a lot of guts to do what Kapernick did. He had a lot to loose and he lost it. He can be wrong and everyone has a right to agree or not. But this issue is not going to go away.

As mentioned, for them it's not about the military. Though many vets have come out on the players behalf.

Which vet is more important in the conversation? Or is there room for everyone under the tent? It feels like there's room for dissent without disrespect. And of course, thank you for your service.

Some might say it's a false equivalency, but if i were to burn a religious text in opposition to violence, it would probably tick off a bunch of people. Even if i were to say "hey it's not about saying religion is bad, but rather that violence driven by religious beliefs" people would still be upset, and we'd probably say it was completely understandable.

So while I support their right to do so, it's dumbfounding when people try and act as though people who are offended shouldn't be.

And let's be clear if Kaep didn't think people would be offended, he wouldn't have done it. It was literally his intent to offend people, otherwise there would be nothing newsworthy about it (just like when he;s out there doing charitable acts, it's barely covered).

And for the record I don't really give a hoot. Like you, I'm just tired of hearing about it.

Yeah Kaepernick is a real hero takes a lot of guts to do what he did he had it so bad his real parents did not want him he was adopted by a white family who gave him the world yeah and he's oppressed give me a break I wish I was that oppressed

His protest isn't about his personal plight and never has been.

Chill out. I meant socially, not legally enforce. Clearly Jim, the local hall of fame qb talking about a current player, is trying to push his view of acceptable patriotism on another here by saying on the radio he lost respect for the guy. Peer pressure, not handcuffs. I think we all get that distinction, no?

I wonder if Jim was being totally honest about himself, how many ways he's disrespected the flag or anthem based on the bar he is setting for others.

The dude is a running back getting ready to play a physically strenuous game and stretching out a bit moments before. Thousands were in the stadium using it as a chance to grab a beer, or hit the restroom without missing any action or just stretching out their tailgate til the last possible minute. i participate by getting in early and standing but if the bar is where most argue it is- lot of people must be walking around real angry all the time about things that don't actually change their day.

I've never understood this concept. How do you verbally "push" your beliefs and views on another person?

If we are having a discussion (in person or on a message board), aren't you "pushing" your views and beliefs by simply telling me what you think? That is the nature of a disagreement. One person states their views, hoping to change the other person's mind. And vice-versa.

If Jim Kelly or Donald Trump are "pushing" their beliefs on what patriotism is acceptable, then it can be said the players are "pushing" their beliefs on what form of protest is acceptable.

Well having the POTUS come out with the comments he did kinda forced the issue to occur. I would think if there was the ability to have picked a weekend they wouldve done another.

Indeed he did. The topic had died down, and wasn't an issue the first two weeks of the season. The president's remarks were meant to cause divisiveness and overshadow the fact he's backing a candidate likely to lose his election. Blame whoever you want, but the cause and effect is a direct result of the dotard going off topic at a campaign rally.

I have had the privilege of serving alongside these brave men and women for over 32 years personally witnessed the caskets being unloaded off the aircraft. I challenge each of you to make a trip to Walter Reed Medical Center and witness first-hand what these Brave individuals have done for you I guarantee you will think differently when these losers wearing costumes not uniforms disrespect our heros in uniform.

I served in combat. I knew guys who died serving their country. That's why I stand and can empathize with your opinion.

But I don't think these players are losers because they kneel during the anthem. They're not spitting on the flag. They're not burning it. They're merely kneeling.

The Declaration of Independence says that "all men are created equal" and each has a right to "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness." These players, in their own way, are trying to help transform these noble ideas into lived realities for all of us. What's more American than that?

Yeah Kaepernick is a real hero takes a lot of guts to do what he did he had it so bad his real parents did not want him he was adopted by a white family who gave him the world yeah and he's oppressed give me a break I wish I was that oppressed

This is the part I feel like people intentionally miss. He't not protesting for himself. He protesting for the people without a voice.

Very true, but I'm sure the players also expected much of this military backlash.

I think much of the backlash is based on jealousy. Von Miller was the highest paid player who kneeled yesterday. He makes more money per game than many families will make in 15 years. Many Americans feel that voicing their opinion on political topics, especially in a controversial way, at their business/employer would have severe repercussions. It's very possible that doing this "on the clock" would result in penalties for Joe Citizen with many replacements available. For Von Miller? There is literally no replacement for him out there on the streets. There are maybe 2 other people in the world that could do what he does as a pass rushing LB. Von will never go hungry or be out of work as long as he wants to play this game. It speaks alot to the state of political conversation in this country when people feel they can't have reasonable discussion about matters that are important to them.

Anyway, I do support the message, but I think there are better ways for top tier athletes to unite and create the change they want to see in the world then "stirring the pot" by protesting during the anthem.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

Just make this **** end. Please. We don't need 1 bajillion threads on it

Or, perhaps you could just ignore them? Just a thought. What is worse, another thread on a topic that makes you uncomfortable? Or another thread tainted by you babbling your un-informed opinions and general ignorance?

Edited by Buftex

I served in combat. I knew guys who died serving their country. That's why I stand and can empathize with your opinion.

But I don't think these players are losers because they kneel during the anthem. They're not spitting on the flag. They're not burning it. They're merely kneeling.

The Declaration of Independence says that "all men are created equal" and each has a right to "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness." These players, in their own way, are trying to help transform these noble ideas into lived realities for all of us. What's more American than that?

Amen

:thumbsup:

Or, perhaps you could just ignore them? Just a thought? What is worse, another thread on a topic that makes you uncomfortable? Or another thread tainted by you babbling your un-informed opinions and general ignorance?

this is not a topic one can ignore.

The rest of what you said is opinion. There is no empirical evidence to your opinion, nor is there reason to respond other than simply saying I just don't want to hear about this. Never have. I just don't care about what someone else thinks or feels.

I've never understood this concept. How do you verbally "push" your beliefs and views on another person?

If we are having a discussion (in person or on a message board), aren't you "pushing" your views and beliefs by simply telling me what you think? That is the nature of a disagreement. One person states their views, hoping to change the other person's mind. And vice-versa.

If Jim Kelly or Donald Trump are "pushing" their beliefs on what patriotism is acceptable, then it can be said the players are "pushing" their beliefs on what form of protest is acceptable.

It's not an equal comparison.

In the protesters eyes, the bad guys are the racists (especially the racists in uniform).

In the uber-patriots eyes, the bad guys are the ones who kneel on Sunday.

If I had to pick a villain to get upset about, it's the racist. People who kneel are not hurting the fabric of our society. Racists do.