If The Scheme Isn't Broke Why Change It ??

T master

We all know about the staff change over for the Bills (the past 19 yrs) & the unstablity that it can cause for teams, so why don't these coaches bend a bit & use past proven methods to get to their goals ?

Rex came in with all the hoopla that he did & with his proven past of being a decent (not great HC but a better D coach) especially seeing as he was fired from the Jets for the lack of production both offensively & defensively . He did at first try to integrate some of Schwartz D concepts with his, but with all the previous tape (if it ain't broke don't fix it) just keep a lot of what's in place there !

You have the players & the tape of a proven system that fits the players so why not go with it ?

This year is kind of the same thing ! Last 2 years the Bills have had the best running game in the league & a S**T ton of tape with the proof that it works so why not use more of that scheme & make improvements on the stuff that wasn't or didn't work ?

I know coaches & players have apparent huge ego's & think their ways are best but if something is working such as blocking schemes & it is to the players you have on the teams strength then USE THAT !! Why is that such a hard concept to grab !

We always have one side of the team doing great while the other side can't find their ass in the dark if all ten fingers were flash lights !! This year is the same !

The D went back to their great play (because the scheme 4/3 is better to our players strengths) But the offensive scheme is doing something not quite right , every team should be able to score ONE TD per game & that's all it would have took last week !!

If nothing else when building a new staff keep coaches in the areas that were working (like last years O line coach) & ditch the others again to get coaches that scheme to play to the players strengths !

GO BILLS !!!

Edited by T master

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ego. every coach thinks they are the best and their system is the best. also they usually only know that 1 system and that's it. the decision makers bringing these coaches in are the ones that are goofing up by changing systems every 2-3 years. then you are stuck with the wrong personnel that don't know the playbook and you have to try and fit a square peg into a round hole.

It's not the X's and O's. Players have loyalty to past staff, especially if they are rookies and a coach gave them their first chance. It's tough to sell out for the new guy, who cut some of your team mates and now you have to break in new guys. The players from the past regime are also seen as losers in the eyes of the new coach. It sounds trivial, but it adds stress to an already stressful job.

From the coach perspective, they're hired to fix something. For McD it was penalties. Rex it was player loyalty. Marrone was rookie QB. Gailey it was offense. Keeping Roman's offense could still keep the penalties. Keeping Schwartz's defense could still create injuries. So if the coach went out there, and lost the same as last year, he would be fired immediately.

I do agree, from ownership on down, it's not good to just come in new and change everything. More new problems suddenly appear than old problems get solved. Work within the existing system and build a culture.

I was one of the people who expressed concern about changing the offense this off season and their lead leading rushing attack - with the parallels to what happened to the defense prior. There were a lot of people who said there was no reason to be concerned, because the Bills employed a lot of zone blocking schemes in Roman's offense.

This article shows it turns out it wasn't that simple

http://buffalonews.com/2017/09/20/bills-run-struggles-impacted-new-blocking-scheme/

What isn't quite as easy to overlook is the fact the Bills are in the midst of a learning curve, thanks to their new wide-zone blocking scheme that's significantly different from what any of their linemen previously played. The strategy is a staple of the playbook of new offensive coordinator Rick Dennison, who learned it through coaching affiliations with Mike Shanahan and former renowned NFL offensive line coach Alex Gibbs.
From 11th-year veteran guard Richie Incognito, the most senior member of the unit, to rookie tackle Dion Dawkins, there's plenty that still must be absorbed in the meeting room and perfected on the practice field. "It's completely different from what we've been doing the last two years, so we're learning, we're growing," Incognito said.
"In the wide-zone scheme, you can have 30 different wide zones," Incognito said. "But there's going to be varying factors where the hole, that puncture, is going to be. It's pretty much a three-pronged approach. The running back opens up, he's stretching, stretching, stretching, and depending on (whether he has) he has a lead fullback, whether he has a tight end, and what the defensive alignment is, where is he going to put his foot in the ground and cut back?
That's why what the Bills are doing at this stage isn't what Incognito, who is doing far less pulling than he did the past two seasons, would describe as fine-tuning.It's incredibly difficult. ... We all need more reps in this offense, because we're coming from a system that (zone-based running) was featured very little in. We had a lot of front-size double-teams, pulling guards, kick-outs, quarterback-driven stuff to hold the backside end. Now, (with) wide zone, it's basically double-teams, one-on-one blocks, and the running back having the feel for where this thing's going to pop open."
"It's still learning," he said. "We're still learning the system, we're still learning the (run) fits, we're still learning the feel of the back, we're still learning where (McCoy) wants us, and you kind of continue learning throughout the entire season. And the better you get at things, and the things that you can do really well, then you start building in things that complement that stuff really well.

I can't really blame the coaches. They got to the position they are in based of what they have taught in the past so why wouldn't they stake their career on what they know?

I do put some of the blame on ownership. If you know you have a roster filled with certain types of players then priority should be to find a coaching staff that can work with what you have. They only time you should hire a guy that is the complete opposite of what you had is if you stumble on a guy that you believe can be the man for the next 15 years to lead your team. Maybe we have that in McD...maybe not.

Making wholesale changes for a Chan or Jauron is what set this franchise back. Who really didn't know when they were hired that they were dead man walking upon hire?

Most coaches will not take pieces of other schemes, regardless of how much success they had, and incorporate them into their own.

Tyrod and Shady's success has been in lots of shotgun & zone read. Neither of those are staples of the Dennison scheme, which has been around for 20 years.

Keep in mind that this scheme used PEYTON MANNING on bootlegs and under center!

ego. every coach thinks they are the best and their system is the best. also they usually only know that 1 system and that's it. the decision makers bringing these coaches in are the ones that are goofing up by changing systems every 2-3 years. then you are stuck with the wrong personnel that don't know the playbook and you have to try and fit a square peg into a round hole.

Yep this sums it up, same reason why Rex Ryan is pretty much 100% responsible for his own demise in Buffalo for insisting on running a complex 3-4 scheme in which we had very few players that fit it. He could have easily kept Jim Schartz and ran the same defense but his ego really believed he could do better than a top 5 defense by switching.

And now with the defense back on track we are in the same mess with this new offense under Dennison.

Because the FO understood what this year really was.

An extended Preseason and Transition year.

To see who can play in your system going forward.

Just the fans never understood or wanted to accept that FACT

thank heavens you get this, I'm sure nobody else does.

thank heavens you get this, I'm sure nobody else does.

i think most do, but some just want to gripe about it. i mean...we all knew this year was a wash. it's not fun to watch another losing season, but if it leads to winning and stability in the future, we'll just have to be patient.

While I personally believe that's always been the case, this team currently has the #2 overall defense in the NFL.

And while that will probably eventually change, the point is as of today this team is squandering a real chance to compete for a playoff spot because they don't have the offense to match it.

So if McDermott and Beane didn't expect the defense to be this good and equally as terrible as the offense it already proves they are in over their heads and likely won't succeed here.

Of course they won't... the point is they should've retained Rexs offensive coaches and never hired Dennison.

So, Anthony Lynn or Greg Roman, those are your two choices.

I think the Kubiak system (I can't call it Dennison's, this is the first year he's called plays, it was always Kubiak's baby) is kind of dated.

Don't always agree with MAJ but this is the case. And in the short term it will suck. It the long view, if the draft works out next year, we'll be in a good place. For me I see discipline and a plan from the FO and coach for the 1st time in decades. I hope to see substantial improvement as the season progresses.

and yet it's what the fans keep screaming for them to do (gut and rebuild) then won't accept the process to do it.

There's always going to be changes to schemes when new coaches are hired and brought on. With some coaches **cough** Rex **cough** it is ego, they want it all their way and won't flex. With others they do what they can with what they know. In this case I don't see an issue with the coaching staff com8ng in and r7nning a different offence, it appears they have fixed or almost fixed the defence this year, and the offence was going to see changes soon anyways with a change in QB and the age of many of the players. The previous offence was a lot of false numbers anyways. The stats made them seem much better then they really were. Did people really see this as an offence that would be able to come from behind and win? Or come up with a critical score when needed? Or be able to compete with some of the better teams in a shootout? This team needs more then part of an off-season and 2 real games to get the offence back on track. If they still can't score next season, or they spend it again using their asserts on the defence, then it might be time to question things.

But I don't think any franchise in the leagues history has ever gone through a coaching change where the new coach ran everything the same as the previous guy. Even if they hired Lynn as the HC, there's no guarantee he keeps the offence the same. He said after they promotedhim that he was just going to run the existing offence (simplified a bit) because he didn't have time to put his own system in.

A lot of this is on Pegula.

He doesn't really know much and basically giving such an inexperience guy like McDermott the kitchen sink proves this.

They should've kept every offensive coach they could from Rexs staff. Strange Pegula preached continuity all of last year prior to firing Rex and then the team proceeds to change things on the one unit that continuity would've been beneficial for.

He just doesn't really have a clue.

So you're saying they should've promoted Anthony Lynn as head coach? Because that's the only way they could have kept every offensive coach they could.

While I personally believe that's always been the case, this team currently has the #2 overall defense in the NFL.

And while that will probably eventually change, the point is as of today this team is squandering a real chance to compete for a playoff spot because they don't have the offense to match it.

So if McDermott and Beane didn't expect the defense to be this good and equally as terrible as the offense it already proves they are in over their heads and likely won't succeed here.

Lets not forget the offenses they played.

A tanking Jets trash offense.

And one that has a INJ QB they are bringing along slowly.

Now that said this transition year means NOTHING if you dont give your FO and HC more than 2 years.

They made the easy fix this year. Defense why is that easier. Well there was alot of players that already fit the scheme. Those that didnt were moved out and players that do came in easier then say a QB.

Also because they can compete with the Running game they have and fixing the defense.

Now thoufh what this offseason showed me is Beane and McD can identify faults and immediately address in one offseason. So that Bar has been set. The offense should be greatly improved in one offseason next year because of what they shown they can do this offseason.

Get the QB right and the offense will follow

Edited by MAJBobby

Lets not forget the offenses they played.

A tanking Jets trash offense.

And one that has a INJ QB they are bringing along slowly.

Now that said this transition year means NOTHING if you dont give your FO and HC more than 2 years.

They made the easy fix this year. Defense why is that easier. Well there was alot of players that already fit the scheme. Those that didnt were moved out and players that do came in easier then say a QB.

Also because they can compete with the Running game they have and fixing the defense.

Now thoufh what this offseason showed me is Beane and McD can identify faults and immediately address in one offseason. So that Bar has been set. The offense should be greatly improved in one offseason next year because of what they shown they can do this offseason.

Get the QB right and the offense will follow

Like I said, I do believe the defense is a mirage and will start to tail off big time especially as the injuries continue and we face much better teams and QB's.

But even if this defense ends up being in the top 15 in terms of the final rankings, it will be another 'what could have been' type of scenario knowing that even with the same offense the last 2 years under Rex Ryan we might have been good enough to seriously challenge for a playoff spot or sneak in.

One thing I do know, is if this team is destined for another 7-9 type of season that's the worst possible scenario because once again we are screwed out of prime draft position and will be forced to trade away most of the picks we accumulated to another team if we want a shot a blue chip QB prospect.

So, Anthony Lynn or Greg Roman, those are your two choices.

I think the Kubiak system (I can't call it Dennison's, this is the first year he's called plays, it was always Kubiak's baby) is kind of dated.

That is NOT the O they're running in Denver this year and the O so far is much better.