Final Play--- drop or bad throw poll

Was the Final Play a drop or bad throw  

305 members have voted

1. 1. Was the final Play a drop or bad throw

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes zero sense, none, seeing no one is behind him, to run a pattern that takes you OB at the four yard line with 20 seconds to go. None. Donald Jones was exactly right. And he should know, being an NFL WR and all. He ran a bad pattern and he tripped himself, which caused him to dive. Otherwise he walks in with an easy TD and the win.

If Zay doesn't trip this board is much different.

It makes zero sense, none, seeing no one is behind him, to run a pattern that takes you OB at the four yard line with 20 seconds to go. None. Donald Jones was exactly right. And he should know, being an NFL WR and all. He ran a bad pattern and he tripped himself, which caused him to dive. Otherwise he walks in with an easy TD and the win.

He trips on the defender which caused him to run the route differently.

I voted drop even though I didn't think he dropped it.

I thought he blew the pattern which caused him to have to dive for it, otherwise he walks in for an easy touchdown. That is a different concept than the two choices, IMO.

Yep, I think he blew the route causing the catch to become too difficult. It also would have been nice if the ball came out a little earlier, I think. It was awkward all around, but I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it again to know for sure what I think.

The positive part? They found a way to get him open on a play that should have won the game. I did NOT expect him to be so open back there. You have to learn to win.....

McDermott was asked about how he dealt with Jones after the game, who apparently was crying in the locker room. He told him, and apparently other players did, that the game wasn't decided on the last play and he'll make plenty of plays in his career.

So far as I've seen, nobody was trying to make him feel better by saying Taylor should have thrown it better.

So it sounds like Taylor put the ball where it was supposed to be and Jones didn't run the route correctly, then failed to adjust to the throw when it was in the air. In The Rockpile Review I put it on Taylor, but it sounds like it was Jones.

This is exactly right.

Only one player shouldered the blame for the play and it wasn't Tyrod. And I highly doubt Taylor would have not admitted to fault if he was to blame in any way.

Reading between the lines, this one's on Zay and the route he ran.

The route was off, likely due to his stumble and he lost awareness for a moment until he tracked the ball. It was too late to adjust fully by then. The pass was fine, the only thing that matters is it was in the area where the defender wasn't. It's not a sandlot play exactly, but one that doesn't require a throw into a 6inch space. The WR needs to track it and be in the right area. The poll doesn't give a clear choice for a bad route , so in this case it's a drop.

Can people not see? Zay trips over Thomas Davis foot as he is breaking toward the pylon. His route is off because he nearly falls.

If I ever re-watch it, I'll look for this. The whole thing just looked......off. Maybe that was it. Still, he got OPEN when that's the one thing they were trying to take away1

If I ever re-watch it, I'll look for this. The whole thing just looked......off. Maybe that was it. Still, he got OPEN when that's the one thing they were trying to take away1

It was a great route, which is why he was so open. He sold the post so well the safety was no where near him as he broke to the corner. Problem was as he breaks he hits Thomas Davis' back foot. You can see Davis fall also. Zay somehow keeps his balance but can't track the ball quick enough.

It was a great route, which is why he was so open. He sold the post so well the safety was no where near him as he broke to the corner. Problem was as he breaks he hits Thomas Davis' back foot. You can see Davis fall also. Zay somehow keeps his balance but can't track the ball quick enough.

Thomas Davis definitely came close to a fall on the play.

Need a little of both - along with not the best route.

The throw was a bit to far inside, Zay cut the route a bit to far toward the sidelines. Zay got both hands on the ball, but awkward - that is maybe a 50/50 catch - so a bit of a drop.

all around a play that is just not good enough by either player.

Its really neither, its tough to make those throws and catches, but if tt throws it LESS outside, it would not have even been touched by zay.

I think zay did cut too hard to the sideline, had he just ran a little deeper to the pylon he would have walked in with a basket type catch of that ball.

It was right in front of me and the catch was certainly worse than the throw. That's a play that an NFL receiver makes over 90% of the time. The throw wasn't perfect by any stretch but the catch was worse. You make a better throw than that maybe half of the time. Zay crawls in the end zone if he hangs on.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

It was right in front of me and the catch was certainly worse than the throw. That's a play that an NFL receiver makes over 90% of the time. The throw wasn't perfect by any stretch but the catch was worse. You make a better throw than that maybe half of the time. Zay crawls in the end zone if he hangs on.

No way. That wasn't a routine catch. Anyone have a snap shot of it hitting his hands. The ball to me only touches his fingers.

No way. That wasn't a routine catch. Anyone have a snap shot of it hitting his hands. The ball to me only touches his fingers.

I was sitting right there. He stumbled a little and just lost focus. Throw wasn't great, catch was bad. He'd be the first to say that. That is why receivers instantly started consoling him on Twitter. That's a play that he HAS to make. It would have been different if he were covered.