Final Play--- drop or bad throw poll

Was the Final Play a drop or bad throw  

305 members have voted

1. 1. Was the final Play a drop or bad throw

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Carolina game was horrible to watch, offense-wise. But it is rather bizarre to see people choking with rage against Taylor about a game where the Bills' running backs rushed for fourteen yards. You can say it's because the Panthers loaded the box (ie : Taylor's fault), but you'd be wrong. According to NFL NextGen Stats, McCoy faced eight or more men in the box on 25-percent of his carries against the Carolina, which was actually a below average percentage for NFL running backs on Sunday. Carolina's front seven is just that good. OK; you can say that : McCoy's 8yds & 0.8 yds per attempt is understandable because he ran into a buzz-saw of a defense. Yet Taylor somehow doesn't even get that as a secondary consideration.

Finally, you can say McCoy has done a lot for the Bills, so you cut him some slack. But that's the most bizarre of all. Because regardless of TT's limitations or long-term status with the team, he has played hard and made plays. And in the Carolina game? He was the only person on the offense who came remotely close to providing a spark. Hell, he was 80% of the Bills' rushing and 93% of their total offense.

WHAT NO WAY>

how far have the Bills sunk that Tyrod was the best player on O. ?

dumfounding.

Lets beat him and kick him as well.

who does he think he is trying to win games?

A couple fans here are a praying to the '" Just Tank" Idol.

Time for a Voodoo Doll to stick pins in.

We need to block better.

and it is really nearly that simple.

again beane has let me down here at RT.

The Catholic Church requires two miracles for canonization. I'm one of TT's supporters and even I admit the man is a few miracles short....

Cordy out and more Mills.

i kid a bit.

think O lines take longer to gel. OTa's are not what they used to be.

new system new Coaches. kinda blows but i retain some hope and think Dawkins will do well long term. still like Miller

The Catholic Church requires two miracles for canonization. I'm one of TT's supporters and even I admit the man is a few miracles short....

Mother Theresa scored her miracle a bit late in life as well ; )

Do you know each player's assignment on the play. How do you know who's at fault from watching the play?

Zay should have turned his route up the field more than he did. It appears he didn't run the route the way he supposed to have ran it.

On the flip side, when TT began his throwing motion he could clearly see that Zay was already committed to that diagonal run to the sideline. If TT had begun his throwing motion before Zay committed to the sideline then I'd agree that it was all on Zay for running a poor route.

But that is not what happened, Zay committed to the route that he did, TT saw that before he began his throwing motion and should have adjusted the throw to the route and thrown it to his outside shoulder. Yes it would have been a smaller window than if Zay would have ran the route more upfield but that isn't what happened.

Therefore from my perspective they both get the blame.

Edited by Magox

It was awkward timing on Jones' break in relation to the flight path of the ball, leading to a big turn, an awfully long reach, and unlikely catch. Not sure if you hang that on Zay or Tyrod. I guess it could have been thrown a little shorter, but perhaps Jones didn't time his break right or take the correct angle toward the ball.

We'll never know. What we do know is the Bills laid an egg on Sunday, and that's not one or two guys' fault.

Zay should have turned his route up the field more than he did. It appears he didn't run the route the way he supposed to have ran it.

On the flip side, when TT began his throwing motion he could clearly see that Zay was already committed to that diagonal run to the sideline. If TT had begun his throwing motion before Zay committed to the sideline then I'd agree that it was all on Zay for running a poor route.

But that is not what happened, Zay committed to the route that he did, TT saw that before he began his throwing motion and should have adjusted the throw to the route and thrown it to his outside shoulder. Yes it would have been a smaller window than if Zay would have ran the route more upfield but that isn't what happened.

Therefore from my perspective they both get the blame.

That may be true about Taylor, but I'm not sure. FIrst, the amount of time he has to make that decision is a split second, so you're asking a lot.

Second, these guys are coached to execute the play as drawn up. Since at best he's seen Zay take only a few steps, Tyrod maybe just threw it assuming Zay knew his assignment, would recognize that his cut was too sharp and correct it.

Zay could just be a bust, but it's much more likely that what we saw was a rookie who isn't ready for the NFL yet. Most rookie receivers, including even some high first-round receivers, take a a half year to a year to get accustomed to the game. Moulds didn't start for a half year. Beane wanted Boldin playing, not Zay.

SO you get a rookie, second game of the season, on the road. Everything is big and new to him. Plus he and Taylor haven't developed the communication of more experienced players.

Zay's post=game reaction gives it away. He KNEW what to do, but in the moment he choked. A third-year guy catches it all day, every day. Matthews catches it all day, every day.

Can we all agree that if you have 3 points with under a minute that you simply don't deserve to win a football game?

This pass/catch wasn't the reason we lost.

No, I can't agree.

It's just as easy to say to that if your defense gives up 9 points you don't deserve to lose the game.

You deserve to win any game in which you make enough plays to win. Zay Jones makes the play he's supposed to make, the Bills definitely would have deserved the win.

Can we all agree that if you have 3 points with under a minute that you simply don't deserve to win a football game?

Not really sure the logic on that one, when if we make the play we win. So that was the reason we lost. Not the only reason but I never understand when anyone says, say, after missing a 40 yard FG on the game's last play that it wasn't the reason we lost. Of course it was. By definition. So was this. We make that play and we win. Doesn't mean we deserved the win or didn't escape with the win. But it's a win with the play, so how can it not be the reason we lost? Edited by Kelly the Dog

That may be true about Taylor, but I'm not sure. FIrst, the amount of time he has to make that decision is a split second, so you're asking a lot.

Second, these guys are coached to execute the play as drawn up. Since at best he's seen Zay take only a few steps, Tyrod maybe just threw it assuming Zay knew his assignment, would recognize that his cut was too sharp and correct it.

Zay could just be a bust, but it's much more likely that what we saw was a rookie who isn't ready for the NFL yet. Most rookie receivers, including even some high first-round receivers, take a a half year to a year to get accustomed to the game. Moulds didn't start for a half year. Beane wanted Boldin playing, not Zay.

SO you get a rookie, second game of the season, on the road. Everything is big and new to him. Plus he and Taylor haven't developed the communication of more experienced players.

Zay's post=game reaction gives it away. He KNEW what to do, but in the moment he choked. A third-year guy catches it all day, every day. Matthews catches it all day, every day.

No, I can't agree.

It's just as easy to say to that if your defense gives up 9 points you don't deserve to lose the game.

You deserve to win any game in which you make enough plays to win. Zay Jones makes the play he's supposed to make, the Bills definitely would have deserved the win.

On that note, if Tyrod Taylor could be effective against any other kind of defense than a prevent, we would have won the game, hands down.

The only reason the Bills were even within striking distance is the same reason that our run game couldn't get going ... they know Tyrod can't make the plays when they matter most.

We've seen it for 2+ years now. That's why he has pretty stats. Defenses will let him run and dink and dunk and throw the occasional bomb. But when push comes to shove, they know he won't come through when the Bills need it most. Seriously. I can't believe this is so difficult for so many to see.

It was a bad throw (over the wrong shoulder)

Was a drop (Zay has to make that catch if he wants to be a Top WR) and will make those catches more then drops them

We'll see. He's dropped 4 so far and I'm scratching my head to think of any good catches he's made.

It was absolutely a drop. I don't really care if it was a bad pattern or if it was a bad throw. When the football hits you in the hands with no defenders in sight and you don't catch it, it's a drop.

This isn't Saturday afternoon beer league flag football. This is the bigs. You gotta catch that.

Zay made harder catches in the Senior Bowl.

Edited by reddogblitz

That's one take and while I agree whole-heartedly that one play rarely makes/breaks a game, another take might be "Can we all agree that if you only gave up 9 points on the road with under a minute that you should expect (not going with deserve) to win a game?

So no, I don't agree with your premise that the number of points you've scored with a minute left in the game determines whether you "deserve" to win the game.

No.

It depends on how many points the other team gets. I'd take 19-0 with all 3-2 games if I could get it.

Or ... you could think about it more realistically and realize that most teams that win football games score more than 3 points.

Defenses will let him run and dink and dunk and throw the occasional bomb. But when push comes to shove, they know he won't come through when the Bills need it most.

Except this time he did. He put the football on the WRs hands on the 1 yard line on 4th and 11. What does he have to do? Gift wrap it for Zay?

Could be argued he had come through in 2 out of his last 3 games.

Except this time he did. He put the football on the WRs hands on the 1 yard line on 4th and 11. What does he have to do? Gift wrap it for Zay?

Could be argued he had come through in 2 out of his last 3 games.

How about those 6 passing yards for the first half. Don't be stupid.

Or ... you could think about it more realistically and realize that most teams that win football games score more than 3 points.

You win if you score more than the other team. There's no magic number you have to get before you "deserve" to win, whatever that means.

Zay comes down with that football and rolls into EZ, we not only would have "deserved" to win, we would have.

How about those 6 passing yards for the first half. Don't be stupid.

You don't be stupid. :)