Sammy watch

dave mcbride

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

way to go off the deep end. teams have to deal with cap space all the time. even the mighty pats get rid of high price guys. what if saving the 12 or 15 mil allows us to sign cousins? or brees? it's a tough decision but i think it was the right one. he was just never gonna live up to the cost. now he's a second rounder on the rams

I get it and yes I was exaggerating. Cousins or Brees? I sure hope not. Of all the Bills players with high or potentially high salaries Sammy clearly had the best mix of youth and talent. The only possible exception was Dareus and there are different issues afoot there. Sammy had to be close to the last guy on that roster to dump. High salary or no high salary.

And if you are going to dump him you maximize the value by using the 5th year option. And if you do none of that the least you can do is not get "frustrated" by the fans for reading the the leaves on your 2017 intentions. Beane has a lot to learn.

It was ill advised but it was directed at specific people. It was not directed at "the fans". That is crap.

No he lashed out at the people criticizing him in general and once he saw the backlash, he "clarified" his statement to specific fans. Read the link below in case you don't remember. In any case criticizing the fans wasn't the big issue, Being injury prone and not having production when he was healthy obviously was.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/13991602/buffalo-bills-wr-sammy-watkins-says-fans-bash-athletes-injuries-losers

it is. But there was a lot of bad blood there and the Bills were not willing to back the truck up like he demanded. Two weeks ago I saw it as black and white. Today I see it as different.

Kobe Bryant once demanded a trade from the Lakers. Things can change in sports very quickly

what's your point?

Trading a player with a franchise tag would have got us.. what?

Why wait for a franchise tag. His 5th year option could have been picked up. Seems like your source, if you have on, is just spinning the usual he didn't want to be here narrative, just like the time we traded Jason Peters.

No he lashed out at the people criticizing him in general and once he saw the backlash, he "clarified" his statement to specific fans. Read the link below in case you don't remember. In any case criticizing the fans wasn't the big issue, Being injury prone and not having production when he was healthy obviously was.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/13991602/buffalo-bills-wr-sammy-watkins-says-fans-bash-athletes-injuries-losers

You're splitting heirs and it is ridiculous. He is a FAR better player than anyone in our WR corps and likely anyone we will be in a position to draft. You can grasp at misreadings of superfluous information all you want.

Incredibly awful logic.

Why do you need to trade a great WR to draft a QB? That makes 0 sense.

Just drafting a !@#$ing QB and keep Sammy.

That would be too simple.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this but it's absolutely mind-blowing that the Bills have spent two #1's (Sammy), two #2's (Woods, Jones), two #3's (Graham, Goodwin) and a #4 (Sammy again) (not even counting trading a #2 (Darby) for a WR) IN THE LAST SIX YEARS and we arguably have the worst WR group in the league. How is that even possible?

It takes real skill to pull that off ... just as it takes real skill to be unable to build a team good enough to at least make the playoffs once in 18 years. The Bills, of course, have perfected the FO and coaching skills to do both ... which is why it's both very funny and very sad to listen to so many diehard fans so hopeful that the Bills are going to get it right with this latest iteration of the Perpetual Rebuild of the Championship Caliber Team that Never Was.

had Matthews, Gaines, Tyrod, etc had huge games against the 49ers, all we would hear is how it's only one game, and it's just the 49ers (just like we heard after the jets game). Watkins and woods have big games against the 49ers and the Watkins fan clubbers are grabbing their pitchforks to run the gmail and coach here out of town for trading him away.

Except they didn't. Moreover, Matthews and Taylor can't because they play in an offense that would embarrass many high school football teams ... and maybe even some Pop Warner teams. They've both been set up to fail by the Bills suppposed "brain trust". The rookie QB that the Bills draft in the first round next year is unlikely to fair any better than Taylor or Manuel or Losman even if he's got Aaron Rodgers talent.

BTW, the Bills played a team supposedly worse than the Niners in the Jests ... and neither Matthews nor Taylor had "huge games".

From the Twitter machine:

stat shown on Sportscenter: Watkins, Woods, Goodwin= 276 yds last night. Matthews, Jones, Holmes thru 2 games= 149 yds.

Good thing we've prioritized holding onto Tyrod Taylor, but not the talented guys.

Trust the process.

To be fair though, Woods got more than market value. Goodwin can be argued in either direction. Sammy move was a colossal mistake.

Except they didn't. Moreover, Matthews and Taylor can't because they play in an offense that would embarrass many high school football teams ... and maybe even some Pop Warner teams. They've both been set up to fail by the Bills suppposed "brain trust". The rookie QB that the Bills draft in the first round next year is unlikely to fair any better than Taylor or Manuel or Losman even if he's got Aaron Rodgers talent.

BTW, the Bills played a team supposedly worse than the Niners in the Jests ... and neither Matthews nor Taylor had "huge games".

There are 7 teams with fewer yards per game than us in the NFL. There are 5 teams with fewer points per game than us in the NFL. Get a grip.

If we knew that would be possible, I'd support it. We don't. It might take the Sammy pick to trade up high enough to get the QB we want. Or not. But IMHO the chance that we wouldn't have enough ammunition to get our guy is worth avoiding at all costs, especially since if we do end up having enough ammo, we can use the pick to get someone else young, good and cheap.

As for Mahomes, if he turns out to be a good one, you're right, that would have been the right move. I didn't see much pro-Mahomes posting on here pre-draft. Much more "this draft class of QBs sucks" type posts. Hindsight is easy, but also going with Mahomes is premature.

I was fully on the Mahomes bandwagon, but I will wait patiently to judge because of the potential of next years QB class. Next few years will be very interesting.

had Matthews, Gaines, Tyrod, etc had huge games against the 49ers, all we would hear is how it's only one game, and it's just the 49ers (just like we heard after the jets game). Watkins and woods have big games against the 49ers and the Watkins fan clubbers are grabbing their pitchforks to run the gmail and coach here out of town for trading him away.

I had someone try to convince me the 49ers defense is good this year because they ranked high in pass defense after week 2... You can't make this stuff up.

You're splitting heirs and it is ridiculous. He is a FAR better player than anyone in our WR corps and likely anyone we will be in a position to draft. You can grasp at misreadings of superfluous information all you want.

Splitting hairs to say that that criticizing the fan base pissed a lot of people off and set him on a bad course here? His clarification of his "losers" comment did nothing to dispel the idea in many people's minds that he was a thin skinned whiner. Whether it was justified or not. The reality was that left a bad taste in a lot people's mouths about Sammy and intensified Bills fans skepticism that he was a bad choice in the draft. Its not grasping at anything to make that observation. Its simply a fact that Sammy doing that was a bad move on his part. He could have overcome it had he stayed healthy and wracked up production but that wasn't the case. Instead he brought way more pressure on himself by making the "losers" comment.

Dez Bryant - DAL Julio Jones - ATL, Julian Edelman - NE All highly paid WRs who have dealt with injuries yet remain with their respective teams. BUF OTOH....... because McBeane knows better.

Hmmm and they all have QBs answered when these WRs were paid didnt they?

This is a guess, and a very very pessimistic and not especially probable guess. More likely they'll find a guy who's a good prospect if they get a pick early next year.

He won't be a sure thing, though. There've really only been two of those in twenty years, Peyton and Luck. But a good prospect is very likely to be available.

Yeah, I'm pessimistic. I'm also sick of the Bills throwing their best players to the curb and seeing them go on to become stars for other teams. If it happend once or twice, you can say "that's the result of FA" but it's happened over and over again to the Bills since 2001. How is McDermott all that different from Jauron except for being somewhat more animated? How is trading away Watkins all that different from trading away Jason Peters? How is letting Stephon Gilmore walk in FA all that different from letting Antoine Winfield walk in FA? All I've seen in the way of improvement from the people running the Bills is a recognition that maybe a having a good LT is somewhat important ... although now that Whaley's gone, the Bills may very well revert to the advanced offensive thinking demonstrated by Jauron and Company: any big dude can play LT.

This thread went about how I figured. Kneejerk reactions from Couch GM's after three games. The decision to trade Sammy will take years to fully evaluate. Just like the decision to use two #1 picks to pick Sammy took 4 years to realize it was a very poor decision. After this year everyone can start to have a cordial (hopefully) conversation about how this first big decision McD and Beane made is playing out.

Splitting hairs to say that that criticizing the fan base pissed a lot of people off and set him on a bad course here? His clarification of his "losers" comment did nothing to dispel the idea in many people's minds that he was a thin skinned whiner. Whether it was justified or not. The reality was that left a bad taste in a lot people's mouths about Sammy and intensified Bills fans skepticism that he was a bad choice in the draft. Its not grasping at anything to make that observation. Its simply a fact that Sammy doing that was a bad move on his part. He could have overcome it had he stayed healthy and wracked up production but that wasn't the case. Instead he brought way more pressure on himself by making the "losers" comment.

We should ditch every player on the team that ever made a mistake equal to or greater than that. OMFG it was Facebook and he was in his early 20s.