Sammy watch

dave mcbride

We'll see. He looked good last night. Cost his team a game earlier. Last night Collinsworth talked about him backpedaling away from pressure and then making bad throws/decisions instead of steeping up into the pocket. We'll see how he does.

I am not the sort to say you make a judgment on a young QB after 10 games. I also am not the sort to say a team that is 1-1 on the year is a wreck and that they have no chance.

Your take is completely reasonable, but there is no denying that Les Snead and McVay are doing everything they can in terms of scheme and personnel to set him up for success.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your take is completely reasonable, but there is no denying that Les Snead and McVay are doing everything they can in terms of scheme and personnel to set him up for success.

I agree. But here's the thing. These guys get credit for giving a young QB weapons to help him develop. A young QB that had a bad rookie year. But when the Bills did the same thing with EJ, giving him the exact same player in Sammy that the Rams got, somehow that was awful. And don't tell me it's because EJ was bad, because he looked better as a rookie that Goff did.

Can you explain this to me?

I agree. But here's the thing. These guys get credit for giving a young QB weapons to help him develop. A young QB that had a bad rookie year. But when the Bills did the same thing with EJ, giving him the exact same player in Sammy that the Rams got, somehow that was awful. And don't tell me it's because EJ was bad, because he looked better as a rookie that Goff did.

Can you explain this to me?

That wasn't my take. I understood the move.

His source?

Common football knowledge is his source.

Pick up his team option you have him for two years at least. Franchise him after that if he doesn't want a long term extension.

he would have held out, I'd bet. That's my opinion, but there was bad blood.

No. It's better to listen to the pretend insider. :lol:

you're a clown. You could probably get a source if ya stepped outside the basement, son.

CTL V all day. Erry day

While Im glad that Sammy is doing well on the west coast, Im getting a little sick of all the people talking like we traded a potential HOFer because we were stupid. Sammy criticized the fans, was injured often and didnt show much of the game breaking ability of others in his draft class while he was here. Yes he had Qbs that didnt get him the ball but how many times did he not do much with a pass when he actually did catch it? I wish him all the best but lets move on. The Bills had real reasons , actually good reasons for punting this guy. It seems that he was never going to fulfill his potential HERE.

Edited by Livinginthepast

What about his build is tying together a foot injury and a concussion though?

He's a talented player that the Bills gave away for a song because they didn't want to pay him, and he sparkled last night for the team that was willing to take him with his current salary and likely his much larger salary next year ... His foot injury and concussion are tied together only by fans attempting to rationalize yet another stupid move by the Bills "brain trust".

Apparently the plan is to acquire a franchise QB next season. If that is indeed the case, then trading Watkins is shortsighted. The LA Rams and Jared Goff say thank you Mr. Beane.

It was only short-sighted if you believe the Bills are interested in truly building a winning football game. IMO, the Bills FO isn't. They're only interested in doing enough to keep the seats full so that the $$ continue to flow into the Pegulas' coffers. I have no doubt that the Bills will draft a QB in the first round in 2018, but expecting them to go out and provide that kid with protection and targets not to mention a coaching staff interested in the offense as more than a necessary evil, well, good luck with that. Offensive players tend to be more expensive than defensive ones, but the QB will be cheap enough on his rookie contract.

Exactly. We get our young guy in the Spring (and more than likely add his go-to target(s)) and everyone will be "Sammy Who-kins?"

The Bills will "get our young guy in the Spring" only because they're going to draft a QB in the first round in 2018 whether he's a particularly good prospect or not. That's exactly what they did in 2004 with Losman and again in 2013 with Manuel. But, hey, third time's a charm, right?

With the Bills' innovative offensive coaching and great wide receiver corps, how could any young QB NOT turn out to be at least as good as Aaron Rodgers, right?

To have a full picture of who won the trade, I agree.

But when you lose a game because you score 3 points and have to go to a rookie wr for a crucial catch, then it's ok to wonder if Sammy makes a difference.

We have a high school passing attack.

Everyone knows that losing Sammy - when he's healthy - makes a difference, a very big one.

But if trading him brings in a franchise QB in next year's draft, it will have been worth it even if he's the next Julio Jones.

And whether he will stay healthy is indeed a very very big question.

I hated the trade as soon as it was announced and nothing to date has changed my mind. It is clear that they want to find a QB in the draft next year. Why wouldn't you want a talent like Watkins to assist in your rookie's development? It continues to feel like a move born more from hubris than strategic thought. Maybe that extra second is the difference in getting high enough to take the guy they want, and then the jokes on me, but I don't agree with trading young elite talent at receiver if I'm tossing a rookie to the wolves next year.

Some fans even had the gall to claim our receiver core was BETTER this year. It never ceases to amaze me how Bills fans can rally behind any questionable move made and pounce on anyone who questions it.

While Im glad that Sammy is doing well on the west coast, Im getting a little sick of all the people talking like we traded a potential HOFer because we were stupid. Sammy criticized the fans, was injured often and didnt show much of the game breaking ability of others in his draft class while he was here. Yes he had Qbs that didnt get him the ball but how many times did he not do much with a pass when he actually did catch it? I wish him all the best but lets move on. The Bills had real reasons , actually good reasons for punting this guy. It seems that he was never going to fulfill his potential HERE.

I'm sick of people acting like Sammy regularly criticized fans and acted like a Dez Bryant / TO / Keyshawn Johnson grade WR diva while he was here. Absolutely not the case.

He's a talented player that the Bills gave away for a song because they didn't want to pay him, and he sparkled last night for the team that was willing to take him with his current salary and likely his much larger salary next year ... His foot injury and concussion are tied together only by fans attempting to rationalize yet another stupid move by the Bills "brain trust".

His foot injury and concussion are ... only a few of his many injuries. He might indeed stay healthy from here on in. But there's no question he's been injured a ton.

http://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/sammy-watkins/6937

And that article only lists injuries that caused him to miss games, not injuries that greatly limited his performance even though he played. And there have been many of those in Buffalo.

The Bills will "get our young guy in the Spring" only because they're going to draft a QB in the first round in 2018 whether he's a particularly good prospect or not. That's exactly what they did in 2004 with Losman and again in 2013 with Manuel. But, hey, third time's a charm, right?

This is a guess, and a very very pessimistic and not especially probable guess. More likely they'll find a guy who's a good prospect if they get a pick early next year.

He won't be a sure thing, though. There've really only been two of those in twenty years, Peyton and Luck. But a good prospect is very likely to be available.

Edited by Thurman#1

Trading Sammy was a smart move. Sorry. I liked Sammy.

There was the health issue (ignore it if you want)

Then the ??? At QB

Get the QB first then get the WRs. Not the orher way around

would you pass on the next Jerry Rice because we don't have a great QB?

While Im glad that Sammy is doing well on the west coast, Im getting a little sick of all the people talking like we traded a potential HOFer because we were stupid.

Sammy is absolutely a potential future HOFer. He isn't a lock but to not see the potential is ludicrous. I can think of a lot of reasons we handled his situation the way we did, but stupidity dominates the overall theme. The trade specifically is only part of the equation in how we "handled Sammy".

Sammy criticized the fans,

False. He inadvisably lashed out at some specific fans that had been harassing him.

was injured often and didnt show much of the game breaking ability of others in his draft class while he was here.

Two injuries, neither of which were of the type that would show any sort of trend and he absolutely showed game breaking abilities both small and large. Rec's first game at NYJ got iced by Sammy jocking Darelle Revis for example. At the time that was a very uncommon occurrence.

Yes he had Qbs that didnt get him the ball but how many times did he not do much with a pass when he actually did catch it? I wish him all the best but lets move on. The Bills had real reasons , actually good reasons for punting this guy. It seems that he was never going to fulfill his potential HERE.

Well he won't now but other than possibly the QB thing none of the rest of the above is remotely true.

Your emotional rant against Sammy doesn't make him less of an elite player. The new management made a conscious decision to jettison one. They have made other moves which have certainly seemed wise. The results as a whole are all that matter. If in three years Sammy has turned into the greatest receiver in NFL history and the Bills just won a Super Bowl then awesome for everyone.

Trading Sammy was a smart move. Sorry. I liked Sammy.

There was the health issue (ignore it if you want)

Then the ??? At QB

Get the QB first then get the WRs. Not the orher way around

This this this this this. Get the QB first, then get the WRs.

Otherwise you generally end up getting those seven or eight wins and never getting a shot at a QB worth drafting in the top ten.

Edited by Thurman#1

But they gave up an incredible amount to get Goff, and then even more to get Sammy. Goff looked good last night but cost his team the game last week. Time will tell for all of this. I just think critiques should have some degree of consistency.

They paid next to nothing for Sammy. The #48ish pick and a guy they were going to cut.