Sammy watch

dave mcbride

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok. Wait until you see the abortion of an offense they trot out there on Sunday.

I said above the offense has to improve. You want to focus on negatives. You call McDermott unproven and McVay the second coming, and ignore the impact McDermott has had on the D. It is two games. Each young first time HC has done some good things with their respective teams, and have things to work on (or did you not notice the Niners rung up 39 points last night). With folks of your ilk you only look to criticize for some reason.

Indeed it does, but Sammy specifically has been injury prone the past few seasons. I still believe he will have a shorter career than most because he doesn't have the body to withstand NFL hits. You can't use one game as evidence of him being an elite talent the Bills let go, while simultaneously saying this one injury doesn't prove a narrative.

What about his career says he's concussion prone?

Will he even miss time here?

His foot and brain injury are somehow linked to a pattern?

Yup. Good post. And for all the Tyrod haters, you know what the best thing that could happen to a 2018 number one pick at QB we are putting our entire franchise's future on? A guy like Sammy Watkins. See Jared Goff.

No doubt. It's exactly why I have been saying that the trade was shortsighted.

No coach, that's not it. There's a point where it's no longer meaningful to post because it's just the same thing over and over and over again.

There's more talking about football than just repeating how much you hate something.

I'll go with the former.

f7FdEdG.jpg

For me it's simple: Sammy does all the things that you want an elite WR to do.

I completely disagree with this. Another thing I haven't mentioned - Sammy doesn't win jump balls. You know, the CB and the WR go up for a contested ball and both come down hard, and the WR comes away with it. We see this every week in the NFL from the great receivers. Sammy is great at catching deep throws because he can get separation vertically and he tracks the ball as well as anyone. But he's not physical. Personally I wouldn't pay top 3 WR money (that is what I bet he ends up commanding) for that skill set. Especially not if his injuries keep up. It is only week 3 and he has 1 concussion to go along with his 1 100 yard game. Neither side has been proven right at this point.

I completely disagree with this. Another thing I haven't mentioned - Sammy doesn't win jump balls. You know, the CB and the WR go up for a contested ball and both come down hard, and the WR comes away with it. We see this every week in the NFL from the great receivers. Sammy is great at catching deep throws because he can get separation vertically and he tracks the ball as well as anyone. But he's not physical. Personally I wouldn't pay top 3 WR money (that is what I bet he ends up commanding) for that skill set. Especially not if his injuries keep up. It is only week 3 and he has 1 concussion to go along with his 1 100 yard game. Neither side has been proven right at this point.

The guy runs over 2 defenders to score a TD last night and you're using "he's not physical" as an argument this morning?

Really?

I'm curious, not because I know the answer but because I suspect watching highlights skews our perception.... how many of those contested deep jump balls where the players come down hard together do you think any given WR wins in a season?

Complete nonsense. That's one of the ways he beats DBs off the LoS to create separation.

What about his career says he's concussion prone?

Will he even miss time here?

His foot and brain injury are somehow linked to a pattern?

Those who liked the trade misunderstood what people like me mean when we say Sammy is soft. I would say Sammy is injury prone and soft, and then someone would post something about Julio Jones having the same lower leg fracture... The foot injury wasn't the point. It's that he is generally soft. He does not play physically, and when he does for the first time ever he ends up injured. His injuries in the past were not from crazy hard hits. Neither was last night's. It was a very standard "fight for yards" play that any receiver in the league will try on a weekly basis. And he ends up with a concussion. If you're not seeing it I don't know what else to say.

The guy runs over 2 defenders to score a TD last night and you're using "he's not physical" as an argument this morning?

Really?

Yes! As soon as he did that he got a concussion! Haha I don't know what else I can say. That is clearly evidence in my favor. If your point is that one game against a crap defense proves he is elite, then what does a concussion after one physical play against a crap defense prove?

Dude, you don't think that the two are related?

It seems like people think Sammy is the most impactful WR of all time.

Would Sammy have helped? Yes. But with him we were still bottom of the league in passing.

Even his 2nd half of of 2015 when he him and Tyrod connected on a regular basis on the deep ball, we averaged 22.5 ppg which is average.

Last year yes, we were top 10 in scoring and he missed him the majority of the year. Our WR core wasn't good last year either.

So what huge impact does he really have when even without him, we actually scored more?