Matthews: Blame Tyrod if you must.

JM2009

http://wham1180.iheart.com/featured/bob-matthews-column/content/2017-09-18-matthews-blame-tyrod-if-you-must/

"Taylor is the convenient player to blame. I don’t think that’s fair.

Tyrod isn’t good enough to lift an average team into the playoffs. But I don’t think he is the worst problem the Bills have throwing the football. Buffalo’s current group of five wide receivers – including two who primarily return kicks – is among the worst in the NFL (I’m trying to be kind).

Critics were crying for Taylor to throw deep against Carolina. Throw deep to who? Sammy Watkins, or Robert Woods, or Chris Hogan, or Marquise Goodwin? They’re all gone.

I suppose Taylor is on thin ice now. Everybody loves the backup quarterback.

Maybe rookie Nathan Peterman could save the day. Hit the deep ball. Spread the field. Open up space for McCoy to run.

I doubt it. What do you think? Are you eager to find out?"

Edited by JM2009

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm waiting for the inevitable. Tyrod plays himself out of the starting roll after being set up to fail so McD and BB can draft their guy.

No matter what anyone thinks of him as a player, not fair to him. Maybe they should trade him and McCoy before the deadline.

It's unfair that a millionaire who isn't good at his job is being blamed for being bad at his job? How awful.

He could always, you know...play better.

They took away what he does best-the deep ball. There is no deep threat left on this roster. Bottom five WR corp.

Who was Brady's deep threat between moss and cooks? A decade of slot guys and 3 more superbowls later....

Comparing an average at best QB to the GOAT is pretty weak. I see deep threats on every good team in the NFL.

Who was Brady's deep threat between moss and cooks? A decade of slot guys and 3 more superbowls later....

Hogan is a deep threat, by the way. we should have kept him.

And Brady never has had a WR corp as weak as ours is right now. Hopefully Jones , a rookie, will learn and get better.

What he does best is run with the football tucked under his arm. I see no evidence that the deep ball is something he does even well, let alone 'best'.

Really? I think even his haters will admit his deep ball is very good. Him and Watkins were very dangerous the second half of 2015.

It's unfair that a millionaire who isn't good at his job is being blamed for being bad at his job? How awful.

He could always, you know...play better.

What does that have to do with his play? There are a great many guys with bigger contracts who are worth less than TT.

You can blame a guy for not being good enough. You can't blame him for what he makes since it's the team that signing the check...

http://wham1180.iheart.com/featured/bob-matthews-column/content/2017-09-18-matthews-blame-tyrod-if-you-must/

"Taylor is the convenient player to blame. I dont think thats fair.

Tyrod isnt good enough to lift an average team into the playoffs. But I dont think he is the worst problem the Bills have throwing the football. Buffalos current group of five wide receivers including two who primarily return kicks is among the worst in the NFL (Im trying to be kind).

Critics were crying for Taylor to throw deep against Carolina. Throw deep to who? Sammy Watkins, or Robert Woods, or Chris Hogan, or Marquise Goodwin? Theyre all gone.

Maybe rookie Nathan Peterman could save the day. Hit the deep ball. Spread the field. Open up space for McCoy to run.

More excuses. Heard the same exact thing last year about weak WRs. Sorry this group is better they are missing Sammy that really is it.

Dont people get tired of re-running the same excuses over and over and finally just put the blame where it belongs.

Putrid QB play.

I don't buy the we don't have WRs to throw long to. ThRowing long is more than putting a track athlete out there and letting him out run the DB.

Zay was able to get wide open 30 yards downfield. How long do you need?

Speed isn't the only way to get a guy long open. You can also use trickery and send guys long when isolated on a LB. I see other teams do it.

No matter what anyone thinks of him as a player, not fair to him. Maybe they should trade him and McCoy before the deadline.

Ooo no its not fair we ask a 7 year vet, 3 year starter, multi millionaire play freaking QB. Not fair at all

They took away what he does best-the deep ball. There is no deep threat left on this roster. Bottom five WR corp.

Be a QB. Adapt and you know the the position better. It is east to chuck it up there and let your WR make a play. Alot harder to be a QB

Also the reality is the no deep threat is an excuse

There is more than enough speed with these WRs to take the top off

Really? I think even his haters will admit his deep ball is very good. Him and Watkins were very dangerous the second half of 2015.

And 2016?

Ooo no its not fair we ask a 7 year vet, 3 year starter, multi millionaire play freaking QB. Not fair at all

Be a QB. Adapt and you know the the position better. It is east to chuck it up there and let your WR make a play. Alot harder to be a QB

Yeah, why play to your players strengths. The regime has made this offense worse than it was the last two years.

Yeah, why play to your players strengths. The regime has made this offense worse than it was the last two years.

And exposed finally a weak QB. Cry me a river sorry a little harder when not getting fat on bad football teams isnt it.

I see we are using the WR excuse and OC excuse this week.

Next week what will it be?

OL?

Edited by MAJBobby

More excuses. Heard the same exact thing last year about weak WRs. Sorry this group is better they are missing Sammy that really is it.

Dont people get tired of re-running the same excuses over and over and finally just put the blame where it belongs.

Putrid QB play.

And petermans probably just as bad. We know we need a QB next year...

And exposed finally a weak QB. Cry me a river sorry a little harder when not getting fat on bad football teams isnt it.

Next week what will it be?

OL?

So what would you say we do...?

Except that Brady's best attribute is his laser sharp accuracy leading receivers on short throws and not his deep ball; hence the decade of slot guys who killed other teams. Tyrod's best attribute IS his deep ball and they took those guys away.

Putrid QB play.

How is the WR group better when the only established player in the group is Jordan Matthews?

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I see the agenda never stops with you. I have said, and Bob continues to say that TT is an average at best starting QB, solid backup. With a solid defense the last two seasons, the Bills would have made the playoffs, using offense that TT can run well. That offense both years resulted in a lot of points.That is what you do till better comes along. You don't root for/set up a player to fail.

"Taylor is the convenient player to blame. I don’t think that’s fair.

Tyrod isn’t good enough to lift an average team into the playoffs. But I don’t think he is the worst problem the Bills have throwing the football. Buffalo’s current group of five wide receivers – including two who primarily return kicks – is among the worst in the NFL (I’m trying to be kind).

Critics were crying for Taylor to throw deep against Carolina. Throw deep to who? Sammy Watkins, or Robert Woods, or Chris Hogan, or Marquise Goodwin? They’re all gone.

Matthews is pointing out what many here have said over and over again.

So your answer is start peterman ---- ???? ---- super bowl?

Yes my answer is start Peterman and call this year what it is a Transition and evaluation year going into the 2018 draft

sure - he could have the same crappy line and turnovers.

Well with that line who really gives a flying F if there is a pick included

I see the agenda never stops with you. I have said, and Bob continues to say that TT is an average at best starting QB, solid backup. With a solid defense the last two seasons, the Bills would have made the playoffs, using offense that TT can run well. That offense both years resulted in a lot of points.That is what you do till better comes along. You don't root for/set up a player to fail.

I see your bend over backwards excuse making for a 3 year starter hasnt stopped yet.

Yes my answer is start Peterman and call this year what it is a Transition and evaluation year going into the 2018 draft

Well with that line who really gives a flying F if there is a pick included

Now turnovers don't matter. good to know.

How is the WR group better when the only established player in the group is Jordan Matthews?

Sure

Matthews > Woods

Jones = Goodwin

Holmes => Powell

Clay = Clay

O'Leary another year under belt

Shady in passing game > Shady not

But recycle the excuse away

He doesnt know how to throw wideouts open and he wont risk throwing to someone who is even half way covered to try and let his wideout win. There is no excuse for an NFL quarterback to throw under 150 yards in a game, none. He may not be the only issue, but he is the only player on the team that can impact those problems enough to mask them or illuminate them.

They better figure out if they want to try and make the playoffs, fail and win six to seven games or if they want to get a franchise quarterback because while the draft has two or three of them potentially they wont be there at 12 or 15 or whatever pick we end up with trying to win now and win later

I see your bend over backwards excuse making for a 3 year starter hasnt stopped yet.

No deep threat, a solid second starting as a one, a rookie, kick returners-I guess the other 31 teams would gladly take that group over what they have. maybe Matt Ryan would like to do an even up trade-his group for ours. how could I be so stupid thinking we had a bad corp here.

Sure

Matthews > Woods

Jones = Goodwin

Holmes => Powell

Clay = Clay

O'Leary another year under belt

Shady in passing game > Shady not

But recycle the excuse away

Who replaced Watkins? Terrible depth behind McCoy. but that is another story.