Why did the bills draft Peterman?

Steptide

Only the Bills and Browns would be dumb enough to pass on a QB next draft if given the opportunity to draft a good one in the first. And it is way too soon to assume the defense will play at a high level all season.

I don't think that they would pass I just don't think they're going to have a look anymore there are other teams now that I didn't consider the New York Giants the LA chargers the New Orleans saints who will also be willing to wheel and deal and drafting if they fall in love

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't see many plays downfield. Whether that was by design, happenstance or them feeling he couldn't do it is anyone's guess. I did see many good decisions, accurate throws, 2nd and 3rd reads, and calm under pressure. Was he perfect? No, he's a rookie who was 3rd on the depth chart for almost all of training camp. What I did see was enough to tell me he can make throws TT can't/won't.

Will/canhe be the QB of the future? No one knows. But I think everyone and their mother knows that TT isn't a franchise QB but is being paid close to one, and he's not in their future plans. But he's the incumbent and gets to start, until the Bills are eliminated, or close to it, from playoff contention. By that time Peterman will have had enough time to digest the playbook and get more comfortable with the offense and the receivers.

I get that. He's an unknown. But there are 25 things a solid starter in the NFL needs to do and he showed about 5 of them. The things he couldn't do that made him a 5th round pick he never showed. Ever. He's Trent Edwards so far. He did one thing great and people got all bent out of shape because he could make a quick, great decision and make an accurate short throw for a completion. That's what Edwards did. But he didn't do anything else. When the rush came he was awful. But fans here gave him credit for things he never did, which is happening again.

I don't think that they would pass I just don't think they're going to have a look anymore there are other teams now that I didn't consider the New York Giants the LA chargers the New Orleans saints who will also be willing to wheel and deal and drafting if they fall in love

That would be the ultimate slap in the face to us fans if one of those teams with aging franchise Qbs got their next franchise QB before we got one after Kelly.

I get that. He's an unknown. But there are 25 things a solid starter in the NFL needs to do and he showed about 5 of them. The things he couldn't do that made him a 5th round pick he never showed. Ever. He's Trent Edwards so far. He did one thing great and people got all bent out of shape because he could make a quick, great decision and make an accurate short throw for a completion. That's what Edwards did. But he didn't do anything else. When the rush came he was awful. But fans here gave him credit for things he never did, which is happening again.

No one gave him credit for throwing the long ball. As for giving him credit for other things he never did, again, we'll agree to disagree. And I never liked Edwards.

Let me start by saying that I believe we will see Peterman at some point this year. Whether due to Tyrod being injured or just that Tyrod is playing badly.

At any rate, it seems that McDermott is set on Taylor as the starting qb. But here's what I don't understand. Unless Tyrod has some miraculous season and takes us deep into the playoffs, I have no doubt the bills draft a qb next year. I'd say most here would agree with that. So what was the point of drafting Peterman? Was he drafted as a forever backup? I think if Tyrod and the offense continue to struggle, you have to play Peterman by week 6.

Yup, make no sense.

As I have said before, they had Tyrod, TJ, and Cardale already on the roster before the draft. Why draft Peterman? If there is no intentions of playing him in favor of Tyrod and drafting a QB next year, again, why draft Peterman? If their mindset was to "take a flyer on him" then he needs to play, right? If not and the plan is to draft a QB next year, again why draft Peterman? At some point you would think Peterman has to play this year, right, or why draft him with the intentions of drafting a QB next year.

Yup, make no sense.

As I have said before, they had Tyrod, TJ, and Cardale already on the roster before the draft. Why draft Peterman? If there is no intentions of playing him in favor of Tyrod and drafting a QB next year, again, why draft Peterman? If their mindset was to "take a flyer on him" then he needs to play, right? If not and the plan is to draft a QB next year, again why draft Peterman? At some point you would think Peterman has to play this year, right, or why draft him with the intentions of drafting a QB next year.

If their intention was to not play Peterman period, sure it makes no sense. But he'll likely get his chance to start several games.

It sure does seem to be what their intentions are so far. We shall see going forward.

Their intentions at present are to play TT because he's the incumbent, experienced, highly-paid, and it tells the vets they're not tanking (which they aren't). When the Bills are knocked-out of playoff contention, Peterman will start. I have no doubt.

Their intentions at present are to play TT because he's the incumbent, experienced, highly-paid, and it tells the vets they're not tanking (which they aren't). When the Bills are knocked-out of playoff contention, Peterman will start. I have no doubt.

Yes. Give the kid some time to get his feet wet in NFL. Seeing the defenses up close.

I would assume they felt he was a steal in the 5th round especially since many experts thought he could be as high a 2nd round pick.

The only thing I'm looking forward to this season is getting a chance to see him play but since we are probably drafting a QB high in the draft next year Peteman might not have much of a chance in Buffalo unless he lights it up this season.

Which is why we should let Peterman play as many snaps as possible this year. Give Peterman a running start against the 1st round QB drafted. If Peterman plays well, great we have a backup or true QB competition, if he plays bad he rides the pine and develops further under the 1st round QB or gets cut.

Edited by 100DollarBills

Which is why we should let Peterman play as many snaps as possible this year. Give Peterman a running start against the 1st round QB drafted. If Peterman plays well, great we have a backup or true QB competition, if he plays bad he rides the pine and develops further under the 1st round QB or gets cut.

You don't give him a dammed thing. He earns the job or he sits.

Mark it down: @ Jets, Thursday night, 11/2. Bills will be 1-6 or 2-5. Young Nathan will be handed the keys. Soft part of the schedule: @ Jets, home vs. Saints pathetic D, @ Chargers. He'll be given every chance to succeed.

i could see that happening, but really these rook qb's need a full year on the bench. but our situation kinda calls for getting the kid in there at some point because it may affect the way we draft if he lights it up.

You don't give him a dammed thing. He earns the job or he sits.

You give it to him because TT is a waste of time, I'd rather see us wasting time with Peterman than TT. Why not give the kid 12 games of NFL experience, and then have some experience going into camp for a true QB competition vs the 1st round QB?

i could see that happening, but really these rook qb's need a full year on the bench. but our situation kinda calls for getting the kid in there at some point because it may affect the way we draft if he lights it up.

That's why we should start him, because if he does show flashes and lights it up, we at least then could make a rationale choice if we need a high draft QB again next year. But that would require logic.

If they saw something in him, why not take him? It's just a 5th rounder (a reason why they should have taken La'ell Collins in the 7th years ago). And even if they draft a QB high next year, there's no guarantee he'll turn out to be anything except overhyped/drafted.

Collins was a complete head case who literally had a Jones for the Cowboys.

He was going to sit out the year and reenter the draft unless he was picked at 3 rd or better.

Then the ass hat signed with the Cowboys as a UDFA.