Jerry Jones Impeding Contract Extension for Roger Goodell - Extension Officially Signed

26CornerBlitz

I hope Jerry kicks their asses all over court. It is absolute BS that the NFL is in the business of suspending and taking money from people who have not been convicted and in some cases not even charged.  The Goodell policy of conducting investigations to placate, and catering to those who believe by applying pressure to institutions they can further their agendas, is pandering at the worst level. Goodell is despicable and should be fired from his 50 M /private jet job. Their are a at least a 1000 people out in the world who could do what he does better and for a lot cheaper.

1 minute ago, horned dogs said:

I hope Jerry kicks their asses all over court. It is absolute BS that the NFL is in the business of suspending and taking money from people who have not been convicted and in some cases not even charged.  The Goodell policy of conducting investigations to placate, and catering to those who believe by applying pressure to institutions they can further their agendas, is pandering at the worst level. Goodell is despicable and should be fired from his 50 M /private jet job. Their are a at least a 1000 people out in the world who could do what he does better and for a lot cheaper.

Won't happen and Jones is just talking ****.  He'll be emasculated.

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not so sure about this.  From what I've heard, there are multiple owners on his side, but do not want to come out publicly.

8 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Not so sure about this.  From what I've heard, there are multiple owners on his side, but do not want to come out publicly.

The Jerrah cabal is rather small from what I heard. Doesn't matter anyway because the Goodell extension decision was delegated to a committee of six owners by a 32-0 vote and Goodell has 100% authority as stated in the CBA to determine player discipline.  Jerrah has no grounds to base a suit on. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Doesn't matter anyway because the Goodell extension decision was delegated to a committee of six owners by a 32-0 vote and they Goodell has 100% authority as stated in the CBA to determine player discipline.  Jerrah has no grounds to base a suit on.

Agree.  If Rog's contract is renegotiated and finalized, Jerruh could be in a lot of trouble (removed as owner).  Will be interesting to watch unfold.  Fascinating times in the NFL FO.

What is the NFL doing to itself? Now this stupid video of a hammered Jerry Jones surfaces and he is making some sort of racial joke.

This league and it's owners can't get out of its way. There is a reason Mark Cuban made all that money, he is out infront of it more often then he is not.

Yikes.

1 hour ago, horned dogs said:

The you should direct your displeasure at.....the NFLPA, which specifically agreed to this in the CBA.  So, the NFL is not "in the business of taking money from players".

Jones has no case here.  He's just imploding and foolishly squandering any power he had in that group over a RB who likely will be off the team/traded in 5 years.

As 26CB pointed out, there is absolutely nothing Jones or any other owner can do to change the decision of the compensation committee regarding renewing Goodell's contract. Their own bylaws gave complete and sole discretion to this committee--Jones voted for that as well, it was unanimous.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't really care for Jerry, but he is taking up the fight against Goodell...who I like even less. I get all the collective bargain stuff YADA YADA. I'm not privy to the particulars of the agreement, but do you know if the union leadership REALLY knew what it was signing up for with this guilty until proven innocent policy. You know we do our own investigation and Roger acts as Judge, Jury and Executioner, in spite of what the legal system says.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The you should direct your displeasure at.....the NFLPA, which specifically agreed to this in the CBA.  So, the NFL is not "in the business of taking money from players".

Jones has no case here.  He's just imploding and foolishly squandering any power he had in that group over a RB who likely will be off the team/traded in 5 years.

As 26CB pointed out, there is absolutely nothing Jones or any other owner can do to change the decision of the compensation committee regarding renewing Goodell's contract. Their own bylaws gave complete and sole discretion to this committee--Jones voted for that as well, it was unanimous.

See my post to #26. I'm talking right and wrong...not well ......they collectively bargained.

Edited by horned dogs

3 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

I don't really care for Jerry, but he is taking up the fight against Goodell...who I like even less. I get all the collective bargain stuff YADA YADA. I'm not privy to the particulars of the agreement, but do you know if the union leadership REALLY knew what it was signing up for with this guilty until proven innocent policy. You know we do our own investigation and Roger acts as Judge, Jury and Executioner, in spite of what the legal system says.

See my post to #26. I'm talking right and wrong...not well ......they collectively bargained.

Yeah, they REALLY did know.  You can be "privy" to the particulars if you Google the last CBA.

So, to be clear, your position is that only convicted criminals should be fined by the NFL?

2 hours ago, Commonsense said:

What is the NFL doing to itself? Now this stupid video of a hammered Jerry Jones surfaces and he is making some sort of racial joke.

This league and it's owners can't get out of its way. There is a reason Mark Cuban made all that money, he is out infront of it more often then he is not.

Yikes.

hardball smear campaign......it's all out war

4 hours ago, horned dogs said:

You would be surprised how many other businesses are the exact same way. Just look a little further towards the current mess in Hollywood. Shows are being canceled and actors are being destroyed over allegations of sexual misconduct. Has spacey or Weinstein been convicted in a court of law of any wrong doing at this time? The NBA forced an owner to sell his team because he made a racial comment to some young girl he was with. If you read your work agreement in most jobs these days, many have clauses that say you can be terminated for doing or being a part of anything that may reflect negatively on the employer.

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah, they REALLY did know.  You can be "privy" to the particulars if you Google the last CBA.

So, to be clear, your position is that only convicted criminals should be fined by the NFL?

So is your position that you would be fine with, being suspended for 6 games with lost the paychecks from your job ,because someone accused you of being a miscreant? And, BTW I do think it is reasonable to at least be charged with a crime before your rep is tarnished.

21 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

You would be surprised how many other businesses are the exact same way. Just look a little further towards the current mess in Hollywood. Shows are being canceled and actors are being destroyed over allegations of sexual misconduct. Has spacey or Weinstein been convicted in a court of law of any wrong doing at this time? The NBA forced an owner to sell his team because he made a racial comment to some young girl he was with. If you read your work agreement in most jobs these days, many have clauses that say you can be terminated for doing or being a part of anything that may reflect negatively on the employer.

Oh I'm aware of the way these things. I'm playing a bit of a devil's advocate here. Our freedoms are being stripped from us every so discreetly. On one hand the employer is saying it is bad PR for the business for employeeXYZ to be accused of.......therefore, we will get them to agree to .......blah blah blah. On the other hand, would you be happy being removed from you job for something you may very well be completely innocent of. This is a fine line and some seem very content to sign away their due process (or other peoples). My feeling is it may be too far and in fact some may have know idea what they are signing up for.

Edited by horned dogs

3 hours ago, horned dogs said:

So is your position that you would be fine with, being suspended for 6 games with lost the paychecks from your job ,because someone accused you of being a miscreant? And, BTW I do think it is reasonable to at least be charged with a crime before your rep is tarnished.

If I singed an agreement with my employer that allowed them to suspend me for conduct they regard as detrimental to their purpose and after a 13 month investigation suspended me and federal courts on several levels of appeal would not, ultimately, reverse the suspension....then I guess I would have to accept the suspension.

We will never know the full details of the circumstances that the NFL assessed in their decision to suspend Elliot, but I could not care less that a very very tiny number of NFL players face suspension each year for poor treatment of women.  Recall that the man who started all of this, Ray Rice was caught on tape beating his future wife unconscious----and the judge dismissed the charges! By your logic, Ray should have immediately reinstated with back pay.

And Elliot's "rep" isn't tarnished--he'll be back playing and NFL fans won't care in the least bit whether or not he beat his partner.  No one cares!  Adrian Peterson BEAT HIS OWN SON'S GENITALS BLOODY---and no one cares.  Thousands likely put him right back on their fantasy team.

So, again, no--I don't care if these guys, who have willfully surrendered what you might consider "due process", lose a few paychecks.  You seems to forget these are grown men playing a kids game for millions of dollars.  They are, at the end of the day, entertainers.  They are here to entertain us.

There is much to dislike about both men but let's not forget that under Goodell the Bills stayed in Buffalo after a change of ownership when Ralph died. Jones has gone on record that he has no time for small market teams and their skimpy revenues.

6 minutes ago, stuvian said:

There is much to dislike about both men but let's not forget that under Goodell the Bills stayed in Buffalo after a change of ownership when Ralph died. Jones has gone on record that he has no time for small market teams and their skimpy revenues.

Goodell didn't keep them here.  Ralph kept them here. 

Roger and Jerry were buddies still.  This all has to do with Jones' RB.  Jones is convinced that they are going to the SB and he thinks Roger is sabotaging their chances.  He should have kept Romo! :)  

18 minutes ago, dulles said:

Goodell didn't keep them here.  Ralph kept them here. 

Roger and Jerry were buddies still.  This all has to do with Jones' RB.  Jones is convinced that they are going to the SB and he thinks Roger is sabotaging their chances.  He should have kept Romo! :)  

Goodell could have allowed the Bills to go elsewhere and didn't. Dead men don't have a say

2 hours ago, stuvian said:

Lets not make crap up.

Goodell did nothing to help keep Bills in Buffalo. At best he was neutral but make no mistake, the Bills were going to high bidder regardless of whether they wanted to eventually move the Bills.

It was all Pegs that saved the Bills for Buffalo. 

I am sure it pissed off Jerry Jones who openly commented the team needed to look at a higher potential revenue area like Toronto.

3 hours ago, Roger Goodell said:

I am proud and happy we were able to keep the Bills in Buffalo for the benefit of one of the NFL's diehard fanbases.

you would think a guy making $49.5 million a year, could afford to pay out of his own pocket for lifetime use of a private jet and lifetime health insurance for his family

Compensation Committee received a blank check in May

So here’s the question that previously has gone unanswered: What authority did the full ownership delegate to the Compensation Committee in May? More specifically, did the resolution that authorized negotiation and finalization of the deal contain a range (most importantly a limit) regarding Goodell’s salary, bonuses, benefits, etc?

The answer: The committee received full and complete authority, with no pre-set ceiling.

The current problem for Jones is that he voted for the resolution, regardless of its breadth and ambiguity. Multiple sources have informed PFT that Jones actually spoke out in favor of the move before the unanimous vote.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/18/compensation-committee-received-a-blank-check-in-may/

6 hours ago, papazoid said:

you would think a guy making $49.5 million a year, could afford to pay out of his own pocket for lifetime use of a private jet and lifetime health insurance for his family

The use of an aircraft would be to facilitate my continuing role as a good will ambassador to fans across the NFL after my retirement.

Regarding healthcare costs, premiums under the ACA have been skyrocketing.  

• Like (+1) 1

The NFL's compensation committee has denied Jerry Jones' request that the league's owners be allowed a final vote of approval on commissioner Roger Goodell's contract extension, according to a report by the Wall Street Journal.

In the letter, Blank wrote that Jones was ignoring facts "to satisfy your personal agenda," .

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21492410/nfl-compensation-committee-denies-jerry-jones-request-vote-roger-goodell-contract-extension

On 9/17/2017 at 9:58 AM, Rico said:

He's not the obvious replacement.

No doubt the NFL brand is tarnished, and it's time to lead the league into the future with a new legacy.

B9317993548Z.1_20150723175721_000_GSCBDA

"No stone unturned!"

I would laugh for 3 weeks if Russ became the new commish of the NFL. How can he oversee 32 teams when he cannot even manage the two he has. LOL!!!!!!!!!

On November 18, 2017 at 10:10 PM, stuvian said:

Goodell could have allowed the Bills to go elsewhere and didn't. Dead men don't have a say

Ralph fooled Jerry and fat drunk Bob and positioned the Bills to stay.  There is really no way of knowing what Goodell would have done if the situation were different.  We can't really credit him or assume the worst IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, teef said:

i wonder if he's just running around his office screaming, "ca-ching!  ca-ching!"

He's probably sitting on his plush throne, arms folded across his chest, and saying "It's good to be king"

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

but, but, but - jerrah

....love every minute of it..he is 1/32 of the fraternity and not as big as he thinks he is.....hated him from day one when he kicked Landry to the curb like dirt......and then to listen to him and Boy Danny Snyder chirp about small market clubs sharing in the pie (HINT: Buffalo)?........the Abbott & Costello of NFL ownership....BUT....I give them credit for being excellent personnel decision makers (COUGH)..............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

but, but, but - jerrah

I saw last week on the Jerry Jones Football Life Episode that he had a chance to buy the San Diego Chargers back in the day, but was talked out of it by his father.  I had never heard that before.