[BN] Blitz, Media, Pay Walls, Journalism Survival, etc...

SDS

so there are no other outlets in Buffalo i.e. WGR? None in Roc or Cuse? I would post a screenshot if I could, and it would be 10 Buffalo News links in a ROW!

So it seems like you are paid by them, and why not if they are charging themselves.

Have you ever thought about clicking pages "2" and "3" at the bottom of the page???

Idiot.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so there are no other outlets in Buffalo i.e. WGR? None in Roc or Cuse? I would post a screenshot if I could, and it would be 10 Buffalo News links in a ROW!

So it seems like you are paid by them, and why not if they are charging themselves.

There are 30 articles currently on the front page. 20 are from different sources and 10 are from the Buffalo news. Yes, there are 10 in a row because our article poster posted them in a row as he went through the BN current articles for the day. This isn't that hard to understand.

PEOPLE , Don't LIKE It DON'T READ IT. IT IS VERY SIMPLE.

STOP THE CRAP

Exactly. If you don't like the paywall... Just ignore it or find your way around it. Didn't GBiD suggest there are ways? This isn't rocket surgery.

Anyway... I didn't even know BN was pay, guess I will just avoid. Who the hell pays for this schitty stuff. It's (information) a cheap commodity. Use it as such, then throw it away.

Anybody buy music anymore and where's Tracy Lee when we need her! ;-)

Have you ever thought about clicking pages "2" and "3" at the bottom of the page???

Idiot.

oh, so bury the other sources on page 2 and display the Buffalo News on the "front page" exclusively, which you now have to pay for.

This doesn't seem to have been done by accident either.

And P.S. - your hot for teacher schick is creepy.

You're really complaining about this? About this????

The sports editor for the Buffalo news is going to hold a question and answer session for the community. I believe he's going to make a post in the morning and request that people who would like to know more about what is going on over at the news send him an email with their question. After that, he's going to gather them all the questions, answer them and post the responses here.

This is your chance to speak to the new sheriff in a respectful way and let them know what you want to see from the Buffalo news sports section or have him address any concerns you have about the content or the pay wall they have implemented.

This, put brackets around paywall articles and bury them in at the bottom of the page or bracket them off. Not gonna pay to read the BN..

Obviously, the editor is coming here to try and to do the exact opposite and get YOU as a paying customer. Have your Visa gift card # handy.

Gee... I sure hope this place wasn't bought out like some funeral home. I simply don't think the paywall model will work, especially for a place like BFLo or people from the area. Only thing worse would be the Pegulas saying no coolers in the parking lots. I simply don't see Buffalo fans being pay as you go people. The product will just die on the vine.

People piss and moan about paying to park @ CanalSide and that's a hop, skip, and jump away from BN hq. Are they paying attention? Is the BN hoping outsiders pay to keep their paper afloat? You gotta Be kidding!

Oh well... Interesting times they a come with The News and this board! Wonder what the future holds!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I'm sorry to say that I would think twice before subsidizing the #3 richest man in the U.S., Warren Buffett, and his company Berkshire Hathaway which owns the Buffalo News.

I personally have decided to invest my $3 a month in Berkshire Hathaway stock so I can profit off the good loyal Bills fans you are. Ha!

I will stick to lively and good debate on TBD & other social media platforms that have taken over the old print media.

The Buffalo News is welcome to join this modern business model any day. Don't let the News fool you, they make $ hand over fist. If they don't find ways to make new revenue they will die. ESPN is struggling and recently fired staff as more Americans cut the cable tv cord in an effort to save money. Don't forget 1/2 of all workers in the U.S. earn less than $30,000 a year. Buffalo is a poor town. $3 a month isn't much, but it's worth more to someone making $30k than it is for someone who's worth $50 billion.

To me this is just another case of rent seekers trying to make a buck off your fandom.

A few years ago it was revealed the NFL took millions from the Pentagon to do paid-Patriotism. Greedy Billionaires who milk public tax bases for hundreds of millions, were now taking a few million from the Pentagon to push Patriotism.

More corporate welfare for billionaires like Pegula & Buffett is not what the loyal fans of the Bills deserve. These billionaire capitalists are trying to shame the masses to pay for inferior products on and off the field. If you field a good product people will spend money. I don't think people are spending money on Bucky & Sully. Tim Graham for all his good work and hard hitting journalism hasn't asked a tough question in 5 years. Graham left Buffalo for greener pastures and was a victim of changes in ESPN himself.

The new economy hits people at all levels beside the 1%.

Why not let the billionaires feel our pain for once? When will people draw a line in the sand? When does sanity kick in?

If anyone is looking for my support against the Buffalo News paywall, you are barking up the wrong tree. It's their content. It's their business. Complaining about the media has become bloodsport in this country and it has risen to destructively absurd levels.

Readers rail against low-quality "clickbait" when the content is free, but if the publication tries to offer higher quality for a SMALL price - people freak out and pound their fist on how they will never pay for something that they think should be free.

NOTHING IS FREE.

Everyone wants high quality journalism, but no one wants to support a business model that actually employs people with talent to create that high quality journalism.

If the Buffalo News made $3 per 1000 clicks on an article, one reader would have to read 1000 articles in one month for them to generate the same revenue as one subscriber. It's absurd.

Everyone talks about getting their news for "free" elsewhere. What publication is going to produce a piece like Tim Graham did about Darryl Talley? Some blogger on a fan site? How much time and resources did that piece consume in production? Do you think that was covered in "clicks"? If you want an education in the publishing business, read this from The AthleticTO published earlier this year:

https://theathletic.com/40690/2017/02/27/letter-from-the-editor-why-the-athletic-has-a-paywall/

THAT is what you need to know about today's market. It sucks. Stop expecting talented people to work for peanuts. And the "news" you find here comes mainly from paid professional writers. When they go away, the news here goes away. Then all you will have is Chris Brown and Bills press releases to no one.

The Buffalo News is asking for $12 for the ENTIRE season. There are cities in this country that pay more than that for one hour of minimum wage work. there are a thousand ways to illustrate just how small an amount that is for 4 months worth of content.

If Jerry Sullivan isn't what you want to read for $12 a season, send in a letter to the BN. Tell them to hire better quality AND you will support them with subscriber fees. But they have other writers and produce a lot more content than just him at the moment.

Ultimately, this is about the getting what you pay for, regardless of the publication. Journalism was ALWAYS a pay to play endeavor for 100 years. They tried 15 years of ad-supported "free". It's failing. Find a publication you value and subscribe. I subscribe to the New York Times for this very purpose. Attitudes need to change.

The amount of hysteria surrounding $3/month is appalling. You don't have to subscribe, but stop expecting something for nothing or something for too little.

I completely agree that TBN has a perfect right to charge for content. I subscribe to several print publications online-only.

I don't want to subscribe to TBN because I don't like the quality of their reporters currently. I agree the Tim Graham piece on Darryl Talley was great, as have been a number of other feature pieces, but that would get down to about $3/month for 1 piece. When they had Ty Dunne my $12 would already have been in their bank. But I personally find the quality of pieces put out by fan sites Buffalo Rumblings, Cover1 and a few others to be higher than TBN so that's where I go.

But that's a separate issue from whether it's appropriate for TBN to charge. It is. And maybe I will send them a note saying "you know, I'd be glad to pay if you had more o' this and less o'that."

This is part of the reason why IMO their paywall isn't worth any price. They often link to another media outlet's work and put it behind their paywall as done in the following instance:

@BNBlitzNow

What the national media is saying: ESPN ranks #Bills among worst 1-1 teams. NEW at [bN] Blitz by @lebronstein: http://bit.ly/2xsLVDG

I know a former Director at the Washington Post very well. They did tons of studies about their digital presence and estimated that adding a paywall would turn away 80%+ of their digital readers. They put it up.

Paper advertising and PPC are not generating the returns expected by businesses, and most consumers find ads in any capacity to be very annoying. You're going to see more and more of this.

Edited by TheElectricCompany