The RInger Pre-season Power Rankings..... 31!!!!!

Billsfan1972

This same weird thing has happened in past years where the national press just decides to keep topping themselves as to how bad the Bills will be, and there's no real logic to it. Maybe they will be 31st, but to say definitively that this team is going to be worse than all but one of the Jets, Rams, Bears, 49ers, and Jags (and i could also see the Bengals, Colts, Saints, and Chargers being pretty bad) is just ludicrous. I just don't see this as a historically bad team, but then again, this happened three years ago and that was about as close as they got to the playoffs.

exactly. i don't see the playoffs, but the second worst in the league? no way.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You else besides the Jets, do you place as clearly worse than the Bills. Of course, personally I don't see a big difference between being 13th and 32nd.

thurst answered the question before i could with teams like cleveland, sf, rams, etc. but if you don't see a big difference between 13 and 32nd, i suppose you could look at it that way.

Eh............I have two questions regarding the offense in relation to the Bills power ranking summary above.

When Rick Dennison was hired, wasn't it lauded as being a positive for Tyrod Taylor's development? Why all of a sudden, based on some vanilla offense shown in preseason, that's no longer the case?

Why is the deep ball threat so important all of a sudden given Dennison's expertise in the WCO?

Dennison's first change was to completley change the running game, the only thing that was good last year. I don't remember anyone saying that was good for Taylor. Also Dennison is all short passing in the middle of the field, something Tyrod has never done, because he's short.

Last year, the offense was good by running the ball with McCoy and Tyrod, then throwing it deep when defenses tried to stop it. This year it's the exact opposite.

Tyrod being knocked out in a vanilla offense against a vanilla defense is proof enough that it's not going to work with him.

You mean like Rex Ryan?

I recall Dennison saying something like "I don't care what they did on offense last year" in the offseason. Comments like that as well as their putrid showing in the preseason have me concerned.

As for the ranking, 31 is too low.

They are probably between 22 to 27. Some where in between there.

If the defense becomes solid again it'll be a repeat of 2013 all over again..

Bill Simmons (and his company) have taken pot shots at the Bills for the last 15+ years, not surprised they put the Bills and the Jets at the bottom, though it seems unlikely the two worst teams in football would be in the same division.

I could care less about Simmons, but is it fair to say the Bills have been bad to mediocre for all of the last 15 years?

You mean like Rex Ryan?

I recall Dennison saying something like "I don't care what they did on offense last year" in the offseason. Comments like that as well as their putrid showing in the preseason have me concerned.

As for the ranking, 31 is too low.

They are probably between 22 to 27. Some where in between there.

Rico isn't Rex Ryan. It's a false comparison.

And Rico hasn't been running his scheme in preseason. He's hinted as much. He's an unknown quantity as an OC and he knows that. He knows DCs will be looking at tape of the Bills preseason trying to figure out what kind of offense he'll run. Rico's not going to lay his cards on the table before he has to.

I don't know what a Dennison run offense will look like - and neither does anyone else. We can guess a little because there's going to be a Kubiak imprint. But we can't guess much.

This offense is supposed to have lots of play action and bootlegs, things that I believe TT is good at. We forced him to stay in the pocket in preseason but I thought there was a quote that said they did that on purpose and wont be doing that when the live bullets start flying.

And yes he will take snaps from under center, that's because it helps sell the play action and bootlegs, I wouldn't read too much into that

As they say, "The best predictor of future performance is past performance."

Rico's been an OC three different times and has worked with a variety of quarterbacks ranging from really bad to HOF good.

His average offensive rank (yardage) is #12.

While I hope for better, this is about what I expect from him this season. So I am expecting a drop in the offensive rankings from last year.

But I also expect McD to have the defense in the middle of the league or slightly better. Given how poorly the Ryan Brothers coached our D last year, I think that's reasonable.

And that doesn't add up to the #31 team in the league IMHO.

Edited by hondo in seattle

This offense is supposed to have lots of play action and bootlegs, things that I believe TT is good at. We forced him to stay in the pocket in preseason but I thought there was a quote that said they did that on purpose and wont be doing that when the live bullets start flying.

And yes he will take snaps from under center, that's because it helps sell the play action and bootlegs, I wouldn't read too much into that

And Watkins would have been a stud in this offense.........

But again how does anyone know if this staff is better?

Find me an Expert who has the Bills in the top half of the league.

Sorry I want to see wins, not drafting position and prospects in the 2018 & 19 drafts.

Exactly! They could have gotten out of his contract this year. McDermott and Beane analyzed him thoroughly and then decide to keep TT. Why do that just to "set him up to fail". If he's a good QB, then I'd rather build around him than this "moonshot" scenario of trading up for a "top QB" in the draft.

How many season tix do you think would be sold for a team that had no QB? More to the point, Whaley was the GM until after the draft in late April, so it wasn't Beane's decision.

Bill Simmons (and his company) have taken pot shots at the Bills for the last 15+ years, not surprised they put the Bills and the Jets at the bottom, though it seems unlikely the two worst teams in football would be in the same division.

They're not "pot shots" if they're accurate... The Bills have earned all the disrespect they've received over the years. #31 doesn't seem far fetched for them this season.

This is silly. We aren't going to be great or amazing in anyway but just above the jets come on..

We can put Logan Thomas in at qb and win. The jets offense is really really bad.

SILLY??? Anyone who says that the Bills can win with Logan Thomas at QB is not to be taken seriously... It must be wonderful going through life wearing such rose colored glasses...