Why are you so sure we aren't a playoff team?

On 11/28/2017 at 1:02 AM, ProcessTheTrust said:

I'm loving the idea of not only finally ending the drought, but being able to play a game either at Jax or Ten...especially Ten. First playoff game at the same place the last one was, along with playing the coach who SHOULD have got us in back in 2004...storybook stuff!

If we make the playoffs we are not going to Nashville.  The JAX have the AFC South wrapped up for all purpose.  

If we make the playoffs and the Ravens don't implode their last two games,  we will be the sixth seed and going to JAX or KC (KC has a easier schedule than Chargers)

3 hours ago, ganesh said:

If we make the playoffs we are not going to Nashville.  The JAX have the AFC South wrapped up for all purpose.  

If we make the playoffs and the Ravens don't implode their last two games,  we will be the sixth seed and going to JAX or KC (KC has a easier schedule than Chargers)

Well, when I said this it was still up for grabs in the South. Yes....3 weeks later you are correct 

14 minutes ago, T-Bomb said:

I think the Bills lose the next two games. That's why I'm pretty sure they don't make the playoff's.

We won't lose to Miami.  They are an appallingly badly coached team. If anyone can describe to me what they were trying to achieve on either side of the ball yesterday I'd love to hear it. It was Rex Ryan levels of bad.  Yes, I know they win once every two years against the Patriots and everyone gets excited about the Dolphins being a rising force.... but my word was I thoroughly unimpressed with them yesterday.  Atrocious game plans on offense and defense.  In fact calling them "game plans" might be kind.  

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We won't lose to Miami.  They are an appallingly badly coached team. If anyone can describe to me what they were trying to achieve on either side of the ball yesterday I'd love to hear it. It was Rex Ryan levels of bad.  Yes, I know they win once every two years against the Patriots and everyone gets excited about the Dolphins being a rising force.... but my word was I thoroughly unimpressed with them yesterday.  Atrocious game plans on offense and defense.  In fact calling them "game plans" might be kind.  

I know the Dolphins kinda suck, but the Bills have shown they have trouble sweeping weak division opponents.

Just now, T-Bomb said:

I know the Dolphins kinda suck, but the Bills have shown they have trouble sweeping weak division opponents.

They will sweep this one.  I'm not sure how they have won 6 games this season.  They were the worst coached team we have played.  The Jets are doing far more with far less.  

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, T-Bomb said:

it all depends on the guy passing the ball.   Will we see the guy who was sharp passing the ball in the first half or the typical "hold onto the ball guy" taking a sack?

For the moment, we have the Bills in the sixth seed, based on the strength of victory tiebreaker over the Ravens. But after next week, both the Bills and Ravens will have enough common games (minimum of four required) to shift the applicable tiebreaker. And so the Bills could win on Sunday at the Patriots and still drop behind the Ravens in the seedings -- if the Ravens beat the Colts.

Unfortunately, that loss against the Jets is going to cost us.

The Bills are not good enough to beat the Patriots.  The best we can hope for is a 9-7 record, which then puts us at the mercy of tie-breakers.

Baltimore has two easy games.  Maybe they drop one, but not both.  Very likely they end up with a better record, or hold a tie-breaker over us.

Tennessee has two tough games, but will they lose both?  That would put them on a 4 game losing streak to end the season.  I don't see this happening either.

San Diego already has seven losses, but their last two games are easy.  For sure they have the head-to-head matchup against us.

I think someone explained our playoff chances like this:

- We finish 10-6 (unlikely) or we finish 9-7 plus....

- San Diego loses 1 more, and either Baltimore or Tennessee loses 2

- Tennessee beats Los Angeles, but loses to Jacksonville, creating a three-way tie

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

The Jets destroyed us. Manhandled us upfront.(And yet it was still Tyrods fault.?) 

That game was no contest.

They should've beat Cincy though. Still if they take one of these last two they have a legit shot.

Agree... the Jets bashed us in the trenches on both sides it was embarrassing.  

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

The Jets destroyed us. Manhandled us upfront.(And yet it was still Tyrods fault.?) 

They should've beat Cincy though. Still if they take one of these last two they have a legit shot.

As soon as Clay went down that game was over. We didn't field anyone else worth caring about to catch the ball.

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

No question the lines got pushed around against the Jets but looking back on some of our losses, the offense has fallen short in games.  We held the panthers to 9 and only scored 3, we only scored 16 in a crucial game against Cincy and the offense laid another egg against New England where the defense held them to 23 points (which against them is good).  

I understand the defence of Tyrod in some games but those games...there isn't much of an excuse.  Especially against New England who doesn't have a great defense.

Edited by Buffalo30

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They will sweep this one.  I'm not sure how they have won 6 games this season.  They were the worst coached team we have played.  The Jets are doing far more with far less.  

Yep.  The Phins stadium will be packed with Bills fans and the team will run for the bus, with their QB leading the charge.

Such deep insight.  So sick of the mentally ill fans. I have a suggestion. Stop watching. 

5 hours ago, T-Bomb said:

I think the Bills lose the next two games. That's why I'm pretty sure they don't make the playoff's.

If they don’t would you just stop posting your spew. 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree that they are likely to not show up in week 17 and we should beat them, but you never know. They just may have some pride to close out the season. They are a talented team when they want to be. They were moving the ball at will on the ground and through the air for most of the first half vs us, but after their long drives stalled in the red zone for FGs, they seemed to kind of give up. And Cutler just sucked after the first few drives.

They're a talented team when they want to play though. It depends on which team shows up. But yes, I agree that Gase is a terrible HC.

The Buffalo News did a break down of every scenario for getting in to the playoffs assuming we lose in New England and win at Miami. 

http://buffalonews.com/2017/12/17/what-the-bills-need-to-make-the-playoffs-if-they-lose-to-the-patriots-and-beat-the-dolphins/

(Don't worry, Its one of their free articles...lol) 

Im not gonna drive myself nuts with all these scenarios, though. I'll just be rooting for 2 more wins! Or at least a win in Miami. 

Either way, 8-8 (at worst) is a pretty damn good 1st year for a rookie head coach in year one of a roster purge and rebuild. Can't wait to see what McD does next year with all those draft picks (and maybe some free agent acquisitions, too. We may be a more desirable place to play since our D looks pretty good and our O has some nice weapons as well). 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

If we end up 9-7 on the outside then those two defeats on the road at Cincinnati and the Jets... two poor AFC teams will be the ones that cost us.  They were both massive games at the time and the Bills were horribly flat in both.  

Every loss will have cost us, including the Peterman debacle.

Root for teams we've beaten to win because there's a really good chance the SOV tiebreaker could come into play.

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

For the moment, we have the Bills in the sixth seed, based on the strength of victory tiebreaker over the Ravens. But after next week, both the Bills and Ravens will have enough common games (minimum of four required) to shift the applicable tiebreaker. And so the Bills could win on Sunday at the Patriots and still drop behind the Ravens in the seedings -- if the Ravens beat the Colts.

Yes, but both of the Ravens final opponents are common opponents, so if Buffalo beats Miami but loses to NE, which I think everyone agrees is fairly likely, we're tied in common opponents and it's back to SOV.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But Carolina, New England, New Orleans and Los Angeles are all good to very good football teams.  It is the two games we lost to teams who are not good football teams that will end up costing us.  

True but scoring 3 points against Carolina when we held them to 9...that's a kick in the Chiclets 

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yes, but both of the Ravens final opponents are common opponents, so if Buffalo beats Miami but loses to NE, which I think everyone agrees is fairly likely, we're tied in common opponents and it's back to SOV.

Only if the Ravens lose 1 of their two.  

• Like (+1) 1

The Ravens aren't losing to the Colts, much less the Bengals. TEN teased Bills fans  right down to the wire then lost to SF in the last minute. The Music City Miracle franchise got us once again. The Bills fate now rests on teams such as the Jets ,Raiders ,Colts and Bengals winning against stronger teams making a playoff push. Or simply beating the Patriots, whom they have gone 4-29 against since Brady became the QB. Looks like the Bills best playoff chance went down the drain when the Garrapolo led 49ers won yesterday. 

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Only if the Ravens lose 1 of their two.  

Correct, but it's not like that's not that far-fetched.

Then you have the Titans who close with 2 incredibly tough teams in the Rams and Jags.

I can't believe I'm saying it, but root for the Jets this weekend because I could see the Chargers being the one team getting in over us at 9-7... and if that happens, McDermott better prepare himself for an offseason of public media criticism for benching Taylor in that LA game.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Correct, but it's not like that's not that far-fetched.

Then you have the Titans who close with 2 incredibly tough teams in the Rams and Jags.

I can't believe I'm saying it, but root for the Jets this weekend because I could see the Chargers being the one team getting in over us at 9-7... and if that happens, McDermott better prepare himself for an offseason of public media criticism for benching Taylor in that LA game.

I'll agree that the Bills most likely route to the playoffs is via a Chargers loss. It's not likely but not as far fatched as the Ravens losing to the Colts or Bengals. Tennessee almost did the Bills a huge favor by beating SF yesterday , but they are now pretty much irrelevant to the Bills chances. Unless you believe that TEN will beat the Rams. So it's down to hoping the Chargers lose to the Bryce Petty -led Jets or Oakland ,  who might have had something to play for vs LAC until Carr fumbled their playoff hopes away. Yesterday was a pretty bad day for the Bills all around, their win over MIA aside. Even the Steelers blew it vs Pats in last half minute because their TE forgot how to catch a football. A Pats loss may have kept JAX in the mix for the second seed , ensuring they play starters vs the Titans in week 17 . 

49 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Every loss will have cost us, including the Peterman debacle.

Root for teams we've beaten to win because there's a really good chance the SOV tiebreaker could come into play.

No one knows how well or typical TT would have played in the Chargers game.   Sure, we can blame Nate but there is no guarantee Tyrod would have won a game on the road on the west coast. 

48 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

CINCINNATI  is the common opponent that is the difference at this time.  They won, we lost.

They have the bad Colts and bad Bungles to finish the season.

We have the #1 seed and Miami.  

I've been saying for several weeks that I think the Bills are a borderline playoff team.  That is, they might make it or they might not.  With 2 weekends to go in the regular season, they still look that way.  If they do make the playoffs, it would be surprising if they do much of anything, but It would still be nice to say we broke the drought.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I'll agree that the Bills most likely route to the playoffs is via a Chargers loss. It's not likely but not as far fatched as the Ravens losing to the Colts or Bengals. Tennessee almost did the Bills a huge favor by beating SF yesterday , but they are now pretty much irrelevant to the Bills chances. Unless you believe that TEN will beat the Rams. So it's down to hoping the Chargers lose to the Bryce Petty -led Jets or Oakland ,  who might have had something to play for vs LAC until Carr fumbled their playoff hopes away. Yesterday was a pretty bad day for the Bills all around, their win over MIA aside. Even the Steelers blew it vs Pats in last half minute because their TE forgot how to catch a football. A Pats loss may have kept JAX in the mix for the second seed , ensuring they play starters vs the Titans in week 17 . 

Ummm... what?

How on God's green Earth was Tennessee losing to SF a bad thing???

Edited by transplantbillsfan

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Ummm... what?

How on God's green Earth was Tennessee losing to SF a bad thing???

Because the Bills would get in ahead of the Chargers if it's a 3 way tie.  Tie breakers go out the window in 3 way ties.

So if the Bills, Ravens, Titans and Chargers all finish 9-7, the Bills get in with the Ravens. 

If it's just the Bills and Chargers....Chargers get in because they beat us.

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

No one knows how well or typical TT would have played in the Chargers game.   Sure, we can blame Nate but there is no guarantee Tyrod would have won a game on the road on the west coast. 

No, no one knows.  We can't say for sure that Taylor wouldn't have thrown 5 interceptions in one half and we wouldn't have gone down 30 at the half because of those 5 interceptions because Taylor didn't start and I'm unable to see into parallel universes.  But I think anyone with any level of sanity would acknowledge nothing like that would have happened in the 1st half if Taylor started.

Maybe we don't win.

Maybe we do.

What I disagree with is that it isn't completely obvious that game would have been a much more competitive game if Taylor were starting.

2 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

CINCINNATI  is the common opponent that is the difference at this time.  They won, we lost.

They have the bad Colts and bad Bungles to finish the season.

We have the #1 seed and Miami.  

Cincinnati and the Colts are both common opponents.  We lost to the Bengals and beat the Colts.  The Ravens played the 'Phins, who we play twice, and the Bengals, who they play twice.  If the Ravens lose either of these next 2 games and the Bills beat the 'Phins but we beat the Patriots, we both have 1 loss against common opponents and it goes to the Strength of Victory tiebreaker.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Because the Bills would get in ahead of the Chargers if it's a 3 way tie.  Tie breakers go out the window in 3 way ties.

So if the Bills, Ravens, Titans and Chargers all finish 9-7, the Bills get in with the Ravens. 

If it's just the Bills and Chargers....Chargers get in because they beat us.

That's a really weird way to root for this. playing out.

To me, it's most logical to root for losses for these teams.  The Chargers play the Jets in NY... which is no gimme... and then a divisional game against the Raiders.

The Titans losing yesterday was best for us knowing the likelihood of the Bills, Ravens, Titans and Chargers somehow ALL ending up 9-7 is pretty far-fetched.

5 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

No, no one knows.  We can't say for sure that Taylor wouldn't have thrown 5 interceptions in one half and we wouldn't have gone down 30 at the half because of those 5 interceptions because Taylor didn't start and I'm unable to see into parallel universes.  But I think anyone with any level of sanity would acknowledge nothing like that would have happened in the 1st half if Taylor started.

Maybe we don't win.

Maybe we do.

What I disagree with is that it isn't completely obvious that game would have been a much more competitive game if Taylor were starting.

Cincinnati and the Colts are both common opponents.  We lost to the Bengals and beat the Colts.  The Ravens played the 'Phins, who we play twice, and the Bengals, who they play twice.  If the Ravens lose either of these next 2 games and the Bills beat the 'Phins but we beat the Patriots, we both have 1 loss against common opponents and it goes to the Strength of Victory tiebreaker.

That's a really weird way to root for this. playing out.

To me, it's most logical to root for losses for these teams.  The Chargers play the Jets in NY... which is no gimme... and then a divisional game against the Raiders.

The Titans losing yesterday was best for us knowing the likelihood of the Bills, Ravens, Titans and Chargers somehow ALL ending up 9-7 is pretty far-fetched.

It's a headache for sure.

All we need is to finish 9-7 and either the Chargers don't.  They need to lose one of their next two.

Or the Ravens lose out which is very unlikely.  Or win beat the Pats which by history, is unlikely.

Or the Titans beat the Rams which seems very unlikely.