Why are you so sure we aren't a playoff team?

Whether we are better or worse position by position will be proven when we start playing the real games. On paper you can argue our starting D is slightly improved and our starting O only very slightly downgraded (no genuine #1 receiver but then the one we had did miss half the year last year anyway). But the problem with judging things on paper is - to quote an old English soccer coach "Paper players win paper cups".

You are correct. I wait to actually see them play games. Others should do the same rather than predict gloom and doom.

Fine ready for it.

QB- you have a concussed starter that doesnt fit this system

One bit and the WR that made him look like a avg QB was traded in the offseason. So instead this QB looked like trash all preseason (not that he was a world beater before). You have a vet that knows the system cool. But FLAT OUT SUCKS in the thing that is called playing QB. A rookie that is very right handed, stares down WRs and struggles against pressure but fans want to annoint as promising. He may have a ceiling as a top end BU and spot starter and that is ok for a 5th round QB. Oo and a sub 6YPA

WR- ha ha ha ha. Well they can block well. Outside Zay, Matthews there is NOTHING. But thats alright we wont throw alot anyway.

RB- shady older ooo and not to mention got way older at the position with Cutting JWill for mediocre

OL richie penalties will continue because of technique issues in a system he doesnt fit. The fact Ducasse is still here and competing for likelt the first start is laughable and ooo we severely downgraded out coaching talent here.

DL- i dont have any issues here maybe depth

LB - ahhh a predestrian group that just lost some more depth with Cutting Hodges

DBs- Look to be ok against offenses not gameplanning to pick their zones apart.

So all and all yep a bad football team and no where close to a playoff team with a much harder schedule. Likely a 6 win team at best

The WR you refer to that made TT look good missed how many games last year?

I am interested in seeing what the offense does.

I'm sorry, I'm just a little amazed at all of this talk about how horrible we're going to be. I actually can't believe anyone thinks this team is going to be a 4-12 or worse with such confidence.

Amazing!

So, I ask, how have we regressed so much? Shall we take it position by position?

QB: I am aware this is the big controversial position. But are we worse with a 3rd year Tyrod Taylor, hope promising young Rookie, and a vet who at least has knowledge in the system than a 2nd year Taylor, EJ Manuel and Cardale Jones? I guess the offensive system is the answer to this question so we're going to see soon enough :flirt:

RB: McCoy is a year older but it doesn't seem like he's lost a step. Who knows about our backups but these zone blocking schemes are designed for RBs to thrive, aren't they? Tolbert's better than Felton. Doesn't seem much worse, if worse.

WR: Obvious question mark. But let's be honest about our WRs last year: Sammy and Woods missed 11 combined games last year. That's tied with a few teams and the only fewer than San Diego in terms of number one and number two wide receiver's missing games. We had street wide receivers. Right now our WR core seems worse on paper, but if Matthews can stay healthy and Jones can keep looking like he has in the preseason I don't know how much of a step down our WR core will really be. Like the QB I think it's another wait and see. Powell might be a welcome addition after week 4.

TEs: Better, no? Seems there will be a focus on getting them the ball and O'Leary has another year and looks good and Thomas looks like a promising prospect.

OL: Worse to begin the season with questions surrounding Glenn and RG and RT, but I suspect both will be solidified relatively quickly. Just gotta hope Glenn stays healthy.

K: BETTER!!!

Punter: Same

Coverage: I honestly have no clue

DL: Sure did operate a lot better under a 4-3 than a 3-4, didn't it? Yeah there are questions but Kyle doesn't seem to be slowing down and it sounds like Hughes and Lawson will be really good in this D. Marcel is so freaking talented let's just hope he "buys in." Yarborough looks like a promising backup among others.

LBs: Not a clue honestly but sounds like Brown will be a lot better. Lorax was a gem last year and if he's nearly as good it just means good things.

CB: Brand new defense so can we maybe wait to freak out? White looks great. Gaines is a strong zone CB and that's what we're running. Same with Wright. Josh Norman thrived in this system that ultimately made him a star... not nearly as good now in a new system in Washington, is he?

S: Top heavy and not deep but I think Hyde and Poyer are better than what we had last year.

Coaching: It's everything. If it's good, I think we win a lot. If not we lose. I know that sounds simple, but we saw gross incompetence at that spot in the last couple years in particular. I think we see better.

I don't really make predictions, but I can't believe all the folks calling us a 4-12 team. Point to the schedule if you want I guess, but even that seems a little simple minded given the consistent inconsistency of teams in the NFL.

The night is darkest before the dawn, folks. Dawn comes in less than a week :thumbsup:

I generally agree with all this.

A lot depends on coaching. And a lot depend on injuries.

But right now I'm expecting an interesting .500 season. I see a little less talent on the roster than last season but I'm expecting better coaching.

This team is weak at LB, still no answer at QB, the WR group is unproven and possibly worse than last year, the schedule by the numbers is tougher than last year, and if Shady gets hurt at any point we'll be lucky to score on offense. We are not a playoff team.

not so sure they aren't but have my doubts.

QB position-uncertain

rookie HC-uncertain

defense-uncertain

many changes on the roster-uncertain

OP, be sure, as you already have been, to be mocked and laughed at but your thread is a legitimate question for discussion.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

Truth hurts for the naysayers. Position by position the OP is spot on. It will come down to how well they adapt to Dennison's offense. Recall Beane saying they wanted TT to work on things he needed work on in preseason. If They have been hiding some stuff and the O is similar to last year it will be OK. And the D is improved at safety (Hyde and Payer are better than the guys last year), P Brown is in the right system for him as are the guys up front). D certainly looked pretty good in preseason and we should not see multiple 200 yard rushers this year against them.

Depth is an issue of course. As it is for most teams. The things that puzzle me still are the Sammy trade, the J Will release (although Banyard looked pretty good) and why Ducasse is around. Other than those, the ralk using the T word and 2 wins is all just hysteria. Or a defense mechanism.

"Truth hurts" cuts both ways. I'm usually one of the more optimistic fans at this time of year. Not this year. This season will be rough and I'll be mixing lots of liquor into my kool aid.

To me, the WCO fit issues with Tyrod and the blocking scheme changes on the offensive line will make both the passing game and the running game worse (and that's with a healthy Glenn, which isn't a given). I'd say that on defense, the 4-3 is better for the line and Preston Brown. They also seem to have upgraded the safeties, but the entire defense has very limited depth. As for special teams, Crossman is still the coach and it seems as though there's a penalty on 80% of kickoff and punt plays - not good.

The best that can be said for McDermott and Beane at this point is that they wasted no time wiping off the prior regime's fingerprints. They seem confident that their process will work. We will find out who's truth hurts more once we watch the games.

You are correct. I wait to actually see them play games. Others should do the same rather than predict gloom and doom.

The WR you refer to that made TT look good missed how many games last year?

I am interested in seeing what the offense does.

And wasnt that the main excuse for everyone to defend tyrod.

Let not mention our starting Sam (also plays teams) is also out BU Mike. How is that for depth at LBer

"Truth hurts" cuts both ways. I'm usually one of the more optimistic fans at this time of year. Not this year. This season will be rough and I'll be mixing lots of liquor into my kool aid.

To me, the WCO fit issues with Tyrod and the blocking scheme changes on the offensive line will make both the passing game and the running game worse (and that's with a healthy Glenn, which isn't a given). I'd say that on defense, the 4-3 is better for the line and Preston Brown. They also seem to have upgraded the safeties, but the entire defense has very limited depth. As for special teams, Crossman is still the coach and it seems as though there's a penalty on 80% of kickoff and punt plays - not good.

The best that can be said for McDermott and Beane at this point is that they wasted no time wiping off the prior regime's fingerprints. They seem confident that their process will work. We will find out who's truth hurts more once we watch the games.

Agreed.

I think talent is about the same as last year, with minor improvements in some places and minor downgrades at others. Everything else relies on how the coaches and Tyrod perform. This year is a big question mark for me.

The AFC is so bad this year. There are no serious contenders outside the Patriots, Steelers are the next best but there's still a wide gulf there. As bad as we might think our talent is the other teams don't have better. It will come down to coaching, schemes, game management, all the little details.

I am sure we aren't a playoff team because I looked at the schedule. Given that we play a murderer's row of compitition after the Jets and finish with the Pats and Phish, only a miracle gets to 8 and 8. 6-10 might be best case scenario.

I'm sorry, I'm just a little amazed at all of this talk about how horrible we're going to be. I actually can't believe anyone thinks this team is going to be a 4-12 or worse with such confidence.

Amazing!

So, I ask, how have we regressed so much? Shall we take it position by position?

QB: I am aware this is the big controversial position. But are we worse with a 3rd year Tyrod Taylor, hope promising young Rookie, and a vet who at least has knowledge in the system than a 2nd year Taylor, EJ Manuel and Cardale Jones? I guess the offensive system is the answer to this question so we're going to see soon enough :flirt:

RB: McCoy is a year older but it doesn't seem like he's lost a step. Who knows about our backups but these zone blocking schemes are designed for RBs to thrive, aren't they? Tolbert's better than Felton. Doesn't seem much worse, if worse.

WR: Obvious question mark. But let's be honest about our WRs last year: Sammy and Woods missed 11 combined games last year. That's tied with a few teams and the only fewer than San Diego in terms of number one and number two wide receiver's missing games. We had street wide receivers. Right now our WR core seems worse on paper, but if Matthews can stay healthy and Jones can keep looking like he has in the preseason I don't know how much of a step down our WR core will really be. Like the QB I think it's another wait and see. Powell might be a welcome addition after week 4.

TEs: Better, no? Seems there will be a focus on getting them the ball and O'Leary has another year and looks good and Thomas looks like a promising prospect.

OL: Worse to begin the season with questions surrounding Glenn and RG and RT, but I suspect both will be solidified relatively quickly. Just gotta hope Glenn stays healthy.

K: BETTER!!!

Punter: Same

Coverage: I honestly have no clue

DL: Sure did operate a lot better under a 4-3 than a 3-4, didn't it? Yeah there are questions but Kyle doesn't seem to be slowing down and it sounds like Hughes and Lawson will be really good in this D. Marcel is so freaking talented let's just hope he "buys in." Yarborough looks like a promising backup among others.

LBs: Not a clue honestly but sounds like Brown will be a lot better. Lorax was a gem last year and if he's nearly as good it just means good things.

CB: Brand new defense so can we maybe wait to freak out? White looks great. Gaines is a strong zone CB and that's what we're running. Same with Wright. Josh Norman thrived in this system that ultimately made him a star... not nearly as good now in a new system in Washington, is he?

S: Top heavy and not deep but I think Hyde and Poyer are better than what we had last year.

Coaching: It's everything. If it's good, I think we win a lot. If not we lose. I know that sounds simple, but we saw gross incompetence at that spot in the last couple years in particular. I think we see better.

I don't really make predictions, but I can't believe all the folks calling us a 4-12 team. Point to the schedule if you want I guess, but even that seems a little simple minded given the consistent inconsistency of teams in the NFL.

The night is darkest before the dawn, folks. Dawn comes in less than a week :thumbsup:

Clearly you haven't been paying attention, Mcd/Beane are purposely cutting Whaleys guys out of spite and are attempting to sabotage the franchise.

Whether we are better or worse position by position will be proven when we start playing the real games. On paper you can argue our starting D is slightly improved and our starting O only very slightly downgraded (no genuine #1 receiver but then the one we had did miss half the year last year anyway). But the problem with judging things on paper is - to quote an old English soccer coach "Paper players win paper cups".

Absolutely, but by the same token, there is no reason to be convinced this is a 4-12 team. Let's not forget, getting rid of Rex and his pals should be worth an extra two wins alone. And no one has a clue whether the schedule really will be harder. I think not playing NE until late in the season is a huge plus.