Why are you so sure we aren't a playoff team?

I'm sorry, I'm just a little amazed at all of this talk about how horrible we're going to be. I actually can't believe anyone thinks this team is going to be a 4-12 or worse with such confidence.

Amazing!

So, I ask, how have we regressed so much? Shall we take it position by position?

QB: I am aware this is the big controversial position. But are we worse with a 3rd year Tyrod Taylor, hope promising young Rookie, and a vet who at least has knowledge in the system than a 2nd year Taylor, EJ Manuel and Cardale Jones? I guess the offensive system is the answer to this question so we're going to see soon enough :flirt:

RB: McCoy is a year older but it doesn't seem like he's lost a step. Who knows about our backups but these zone blocking schemes are designed for RBs to thrive, aren't they? Tolbert's better than Felton. Doesn't seem much worse, if worse.

WR: Obvious question mark. But let's be honest about our WRs last year: Sammy and Woods missed 11 combined games last year. That's tied with a few teams and the only fewer than San Diego in terms of number one and number two wide receiver's missing games. We had street wide receivers. Right now our WR core seems worse on paper, but if Matthews can stay healthy and Jones can keep looking like he has in the preseason I don't know how much of a step down our WR core will really be. Like the QB I think it's another wait and see. Powell might be a welcome addition after week 4.

TEs: Better, no? Seems there will be a focus on getting them the ball and O'Leary has another year and looks good and Thomas looks like a promising prospect.

OL: Worse to begin the season with questions surrounding Glenn and RG and RT, but I suspect both will be solidified relatively quickly. Just gotta hope Glenn stays healthy.

K: BETTER!!!

Punter: Same

Coverage: I honestly have no clue

DL: Sure did operate a lot better under a 4-3 than a 3-4, didn't it? Yeah there are questions but Kyle doesn't seem to be slowing down and it sounds like Hughes and Lawson will be really good in this D. Marcel is so freaking talented let's just hope he "buys in." Yarborough looks like a promising backup among others.

LBs: Not a clue honestly but sounds like Brown will be a lot better. Lorax was a gem last year and if he's nearly as good it just means good things.

CB: Brand new defense so can we maybe wait to freak out? White looks great. Gaines is a strong zone CB and that's what we're running. Same with Wright. Josh Norman thrived in this system that ultimately made him a star... not nearly as good now in a new system in Washington, is he?

S: Top heavy and not deep but I think Hyde and Poyer are better than what we had last year.

Coaching: It's everything. If it's good, I think we win a lot. If not we lose. I know that sounds simple, but we saw gross incompetence at that spot in the last couple years in particular. I think we see better.

I don't really make predictions, but I can't believe all the folks calling us a 4-12 team. Point to the schedule if you want I guess, but even that seems a little simple minded given the consistent inconsistency of teams in the NFL.

The night is darkest before the dawn, folks. Dawn comes in less than a week :thumbsup:

Edited by transplantbillsfan

Tougher schedule, offense that doesn't fit the players we have, weak receivers with no one to draw safeties away from playing near the line of scrimmage, and a ton of roster turnover as well as new coaches and scheme on defense with a suspect secondary/linebacking corps.

I have this team between 5-7 wins.

No Quarterback, sorry Taylor has been given two years and we've seen he's not good enough. I don't even consider Peterman anything, he is a rookie dump off artist.

RB - McCoy is dynamic. After him is a 32 year old, 260 pound FB and two journeyman fringe NFL special teamers.

WRs are among the least talented, least deep in the league. Think of the Steelers group, now think of the Bills.

Likewise Tight End is a group of mediocre talent. Clay has proven to be average, and after that there is no proven player.

Still no answers at RG or RT for the 3rd year in a row now. Better hope Glenn stays upright.

A group of unknowns at CB, but mostly cast away players and depth guys behind White.

No Linebacker depth, don't understand cutting Hodges. Again best players are on the defensive line.

Coaching - McDermott has shown nothing that proves he can Coach. The team struggled with penalties all preseason and his offense could not score.

This team has no depth due to years of HORRIBLE drafting, and this regime has gutted a chunk of what talent remained. The Bills always have very poor records against the real teams on their schedule, and that gap is going to grow this year.

Tougher schedule is definitely part of it. The offense particularly looks wafer thin depth wise. It comes to something when I think the position on offense where there might be least drop off from the starter to the backup might be Quarterback..... probably center first and then Quarterback.

At the moment here is the "2nd XI" on offense:

QB Peterman

FB Tolbert

RB Banyard

WR1 Holmes

WR2 Tate

TE O'Leary

LT Dawkins

LG Mudge (PS)

C Groy

RG Ducasse

RT McDermott

I have renewed hope for Dion Dawkins. I still think he looks more natural at LT than RT at this moment but he had some nice plays from the right against Detroit in the run game particularly. We know Groy can play and we are cautiously optimistic about Peterman's fit in this offense. After that who is the next most convincing backup there? Nick O'Leary? One or two injuries in the wrong spots on offense and I fear we are sunk. I like the defensive depth a little bit more (mainly cos I like the D-line depth) but the Hodges cut still confuses me.

That said I don't think we are a 4-12 team. 6-10 to 8-8 is the range for me.

I'm sorry, I'm just a little amazed at all of this talk about how horrible we're going to be. I actually can't believe anyone thinks this team is going to be a 4-12 or worse with such confidence.

Amazing!

So, I ask, how have we regressed so much? Shall we take it position by position?

QB: I am aware this is the big controversial position. But are we worse with a 3rd year Tyrod Taylor, hope promising young Rookie, and a vet who at least has knowledge in the system than a 2nd year Taylor, EJ Manuel and Cardale Jones? I guess the offensive system is the answer to this question so we're going to see soon enough :flirt:

RB: McCoy is a year older but it doesn't seem like he's lost a step. Who knows about our backups but these zone blocking schemes are designed for RBs to thrive, aren't they? Tolbert's better than Felton. Doesn't seem much worse, if worse.

WR: Obvious question mark. But let's be honest about our WRs last year: Sammy and Woods missed 11 combined games last year. That's tied with a few teams and the only fewer than San Diego in terms of number one and number two wide receiver's missing games. We had street wide receivers. Right now our WR core seems worse on paper, but if Matthews can stay healthy and Jones can keep looking like he has in the preseason I don't know how much of a step down our WR core will really be. Like the QB I think it's another wait and see. Powell might be a welcome addition after week 4.

TEs: Better, no? Seems there will be a focus on getting them the ball and O'Leary has another year and looks good and Thomas looks like a promising prospect.

OL: Worse to begin the season with questions surrounding Glenn and RG and RT, but I suspect both will be solidified relatively quickly. Just gotta hope Glenn stays healthy.

DL: Sure did operate a lot better under a 4-3 than a 3-4, didn't it? Yeah there are questions but Kyle doesn't seem to be slowing down and it sounds like Hughes and Lawson will be really good in this D. Marcel is so freaking talented let's just hope he "buys in." Yarborough looks like a promising backup among others.

LBs: Not a clue honestly but sounds like Brown will be a lot better. Lorax was a gem last year and if he's nearly as good it just means good things.

CB: Brand new defense so can we maybe wait to freak out? White looks great. Gaines is a strong zone CB and that's what we're running. Same with Wright. Josh Norman thrived in this system that ultimately made him a star... not nearly as good now in a new system in Washington, is he?

S: Top heavy and not deep but I think Hyde and Poyer are better than what we had last year.

Coaching: It's everything. If it's good, I think we win a lot. If not we lose. I know that sounds simple, but we saw gross incompetence at that spot in the last couple years in particular. I think we see better.

I don't really make predictions, but I can't believe all the folks calling us a 4-12 team. Point to the schedule if you want I guess, but even that seems a little simple minded given the consistent inconsistency of teams in the NFL.

The night is darkest before the dawn, folks. Dawn comes in less than a week :thumbsup:

I dig the optimism breh. Its all the roster changes but, no one has seen the offense so we all gotta hold our judgement till we see how Dennison calls his 1st full official NFL game.

The reason for the 4 win mentality is we are running an offense that doesnt fit our starting QB at a base WCO and our Oline is having trouble switching to zone blocking. The GM and HC are playing favorites and cutting cheap young talent because they were part of the old regime, example: replacing J Will with Tolbert (Barf!). J Wills upside was crazy hes still not back from his foot injury 100% and cut him while scrubs like Ducasse and taiwon Jones still on the roster.

FO seems like it might be getting rid of good young cheap talent bc they didnt draft them. We have no established outside #1 WR just a bunch of slot WRs, with no top speed wide outs to catch Tyrods deep throws, to back up the defense from stacking the box to stop Shady. Shadys older now and the RB we have to spell him to keep em fresh are downgrades, so now we need to draft a new starting RB (creating talent holes where we had none, we also need a new speeds WR, OT, and OG next draft).

So thats that. At least the defense is better tho!

pretty sure the tank is in for this year. not stated, but everything they've done so far says this year is being sacrificed to the future. they'll play hard and compete, bc the players are individuals largely playing for contracts which will please fans rooting for laundry now and again, but 4-12 sure looks like the over under for this group. Maybe they stay really healthy and a team of free agents and rookies jells, but that is such a reach as to be laughable.

Edited by jmcraig44

Truth hurts for the naysayers. Position by position the OP is spot on. It will come down to how well they adapt to Dennison's offense. Recall Beane saying they wanted TT to work on things he needed work on in preseason. If They have been hiding some stuff and the O is similar to last year it will be OK. And the D is improved at safety (Hyde and Payer are better than the guys last year), P Brown is in the right system for him as are the guys up front). D certainly looked pretty good in preseason and we should not see multiple 200 yard rushers this year against them.

Depth is an issue of course. As it is for most teams. The things that puzzle me still are the Sammy trade, the J Will release (although Banyard looked pretty good) and why Ducasse is around. Other than those, the ralk using the T word and 2 wins is all just hysteria. Or a defense mechanism.

Amazing!

The GM quit on the team, the team will soon follow.

Everything looks dark before it goes completely black.

Lucky to win 4.

pretty sure the tank is in for this year. not stated, but everything they've done so far says this year is being sacrificed to the future. they'll play hard and compete, bc the players are individuals largely playing for contracts which will please fans rooting for laundry now and again, but 4-12 sure looks like the over under for this group. Maybe they stay really healthy and a team of free agents and rookies jells, but that is such a reach as to be laughable.

This isn't a "tank" ... at least not intentionally. That's the really scary part. They really believe their own BS.

The OP goes position by position but those arguing against merely use emotional hysteria. They have no talent - say that to guys like Shady and Kyle among others.

Whether we are better or worse position by position will be proven when we start playing the real games. On paper you can argue our starting D is slightly improved and our starting O only very slightly downgraded (no genuine #1 receiver but then the one we had did miss half the year last year anyway). But the problem with judging things on paper is - to quote an old English soccer coach "Paper players win paper cups".

The OP goes position by position but those arguing against merely use emotional hysteria. They have no talent - say that to guys like Shady and Kyle among others.

Fine ready for it.

QB- you have a concussed starter that doesnt fit this system

One bit and the WR that made him look like a avg QB was traded in the offseason. So instead this QB looked like trash all preseason (not that he was a world beater before). You have a vet that knows the system cool. But FLAT OUT SUCKS in the thing that is called playing QB. A rookie that is very right handed, stares down WRs and struggles against pressure but fans want to annoint as promising. He may have a ceiling as a top end BU and spot starter and that is ok for a 5th round QB. Oo and a sub 6YPA

WR- ha ha ha ha. Well they can block well. Outside Zay, Matthews there is NOTHING. But thats alright we wont throw alot anyway.

RB- shady older ooo and not to mention got way older at the position with Cutting JWill for mediocre

OL richie penalties will continue because of technique issues in a system he doesnt fit. The fact Ducasse is still here and competing for likelt the first start is laughable and ooo we severely downgraded out coaching talent here.

DL- i dont have any issues here maybe depth

LB - ahhh a predestrian group that just lost some more depth with Cutting Hodges

DBs- Look to be ok against offenses not gameplanning to pick their zones apart.

So all and all yep a bad football team and no where close to a playoff team with a much harder schedule. Likely a 6 win team at best

Edited by MAJBobby