Tim Graham: Anti-cronyism in Buffalo with new regime

YoloinOhio

Self-made men: McDermott, Beane both took rare roads to the top of the NFL

http://buffalonews.com/2017/09/03/mcdermott-beane-combo/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The self-made men trying to navigate the Bills out of their seemingly eternal darkness don't have fathers who secured precious NFL opportunities for them. They didn't play big-college, let alone professional, football. They received zero career handouts.

Yet each has earned his way into a select group of 32 football minds.

Edited by YoloinOhio

The new PR regime could not be more clear if they were literally shouting from rooftops. We get it, the team went in the complete opposite direction from the Rex-n-Rob Ryan & Friends Good Time Clown Shoes Happy Horsesh*t.

For the love of God, please just show some results on the field, even if it takes a season or two.

i think that picture ruined my sunday.

The new PR regime could not be more clear if they were literally shouting from rooftops. We get it, the team went in the complete opposite direction from the Rex-n-Rob Ryan & Friends Good Time Clown Shoes Happy Horsesh*t.

For the love of God, please just show some results on the field, even if it takes a season or two.

no doubt. i think this will only end in extremes...it will either be glorious or it will be a disaster. either way we just have to sit back and go for the ride. i'm going to have a drink and enjoy myself as much as possible.

i think that picture ruined my sunday.

no doubt. i think this will only end in extremes...it will either be glorious or it will be a disaster. either way we just have to sit back and go for the ride. i'm going to have a drink and enjoy myself as much as possible.

And like any other coach and GM will depend on if they find and develop a top QB

And like any other coach and GM will depend on if they find and develop a top QB

absolutely. this next draft is critical to their career. we've been waiting a long time for an established qb. they have to start taking shots at it.

But from Banner's perspective, McDermott and Beane are off to an admirable start.

"People who come in to run a team, who are insecure either about themselves or the faith ownership has in them," Banner said, "love to make a whole bunch of bad short-term decisions to look better in the mindset they're trying to solidify their position."

Examples of that would be trading an extra first-round draft choice to select Watkins in a receiver-deep class or giving away two fourth-round picks to move up eight spots for linebacker Reggie Ragland or signing tight end Charles Clay to a massive offer sheet or embracing wrung-out running back Reggie Bush and absentee receiver Percy Harvin as some sort of offensive answers.

"Teams that have turned it around and sustained it are doing exactly what the Bills are doing right now," Banner continued. "They're taking a step back. They're doing a very honest evaluation of where their team is at and know their long-term goal is big success, not just incremental improvement.

"They're acting like they have a tremendous amount of confidence in themselves, and they feel they have the confidence of ownership to implement the plan they think will get them big success with an opportunity to sustain it."

The bolded part is the point that I've been trying to make. They have the mandate and time to build this team from the ground up the way they envision it. The success or failure will be squarely attributed to their decisions.

The bolded part is the point that I've been trying to make. They have the mandate and time to build this team from the ground up the way they envision it. The success or failure will be squarely attributed to their decisions.

Great article and great quote from it. Banner is absolutely correct. What a contrast between the old and new regime.

absolutely. this next draft is critical to their career. we've been waiting a long time for an established qb. they have to start taking shots at it.

...absolutely....when is the last time Buffalo has had two 1sts, two 2nds and two 3rds in the SAME draft?.......should tell a ton about their vision and abilities.............

Great article and great quote from it. Banner is absolutely correct. What a contrast between the old and new regime.

It is quite possible that the evaluations and decisions they are making are incorrect but these are their evaluations, their decisions and they are doing it with full confidence knowing that they will be receiving some flack because of these decisions. People like you and I and many others have been hoping for a complete remake of the organization and that is exactly what we are seeing today.

When I think of their approach I think of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6gBw-tK82E

To me, most coaches/GMs understand the nature of the business. Enough so to not habe the stones to do this type over overhaul.

The time frame in which you need to win and keep your job is so short. In turn, without full and total trust from the ownership.

Some will call certain moves "rebuilding moves." However, over the past 17 years, none have truly stripped this thing down and started from scratch like we are seeing here.

It is quite possible that the evaluations and decisions they are making are incorrect but these are their evaluations, their decisions and they are doing it with full confidence knowing that they will be receiving some flack because of these decisions. People like you and I and many others have been hoping for a complete remake of the organization and that is exactly what we are seeing today.

When I think of their approach I think of

Whether they succeed or fail, I will always appreciate them for bringing true change into the organization for the first time ever. Have to also thank Pegs too for finally waking up.

As a Cubs fan, I can wholly endorse this long-term view. 2011-2012 were very painful years, but 2013 showed some promise and since then has been a lot of fun. Of course Epstein had a track record, the Bills guys don't. They have a good plan, but they have to find a QB and LOT before they can work much on the rest.