Hurricane Irma General: Potential NFL Impacts (Updated!)

The Buffalo Bills are scheduled to play the Carolina Panthers, in Carolina, on 9/17.

As of right now, Hurricane Irma is too far out to sea to get an accurate prediction--but as the models have started to coalesce, they're showing a CAT5 slamming into the Carolinas on 9/11. Because of the size of the storm, it has the ability to bring serious wind and rain (CAT4) inland as far as Charlotte:

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/gfs/2017090300/gfs_mslp_wind_seus_35.png

If this model were to hold, and it were to happen on that date, it would not only make practice impossible for the Panthers leading up to the game that week--but the logistics/optics of hosting a pro football game would become nearly impossible just 5 days later.

The NFL could theoretically relocate the game to a neutral site, but what would be the benefit to doing that? Very few Carolina fans would be able to travel, and it's unlikely 60,000 Buffalo fans would be able to fill a neutral site stadium with 3 days of a heads up. Also: if the path of this storm remains unpredictable, or if it shifts to impact Florida/VIRMARDEL, other game day locales could be affected as well.

The NFL could simply move the game location to Buffalo, and give us an extra home game. It would also mean we start the season with 3 straight home games.

As you keep an eye on Irma's path, keep this one in the back of your mind.

Happy Labor day.

Edited by The Age of Aquarius

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baltimore is hosting Cleveland (possibly Cleveland).

Pittsburgh has a home game.

Cincy has a Thursday night game that week, so that stadium is available, or at least not being used for an nfl game anyway.

Detroit at NYG on monday night that week.

That would be nice, and I think the logic behind your argument is solid, but the game would be very difficult to get moved or postponed unless there was imminent danger on game day. The storm will have passed at that point days before, and barring any real major devastation to the area, the game will be held in Carolina.

For the greater good, I am hoping the storm doesn't even hit them at all.

This season for the Bills looks to be a rebuilding/see what we have kind or year. I am not too concerned with trying to get any major advantages this season. As always,time will tell.

Edited by ajmac

There os No way to accurately track this hurricane in terms of landfall on the US until it starts dealing with the mountains in the Carribean.

And the location of the Bills game would be thr furthest thing on my mind watching what Irma is doing.

Charlotte is way inland. Even if the hurricane hit NC directly, it would just be rain, if anything, there. No chance game isn't played in charlotte.

To the OP:

You're looking at the US model (GFS) which isn't all that reliable that far out and is run every 6 hours with those model runs constantly changing. The European model (which is better but not perfect) has it possibly recurving northward and away from the US. Irma has taken a slight southwest dip which makes early trajectory forecasts difficult at this time. Most of my friends in the weather community think we're a good 24-48 hours away from really knowing what will happen with Irma and until that time frame passes most model guidance is essentially computer generated speculation. Case in point, if the cold shot of air we're supposed get midweek here in the northeast is timed right it may be enough to keep Irma from hitting the coast. If the timing is off, Irma could hit the coast, but we still won't know where for a few days.

Well that's good as I live dead center on the coast where it's showing making landfall.

That being said, as many here stated, Charlotte is way inland and the game is a week later.

Its not coming this way. Ive been here for 30 years and 4 major hurricanes, and this ones not coming this way. The tract is way off.

You better hope so. Obviously, you have no idea where it will hit at this point. I was there (SC) for Hugo in 89. That was devastating and this looks to be much worse.

Prayers your way.

All the tracks I see have it heading to the Bahamas before potentially turning up to Florida. What track shows it hitting SC?

There are no Spaghetti tracks that have landfall in US except 1 and that is in North Carolina.

But way way to eary