Trade - Car WR Clay to Bills for CB K Seymour & 7th rd pick

Reed83HOF

Company man

The Jets game going to look more like Lafayette vs Cornell than an actual NFL game. We must have the worst back seven in the league. At least we have a GM who takes action !!!!! :doh: But I guess I'm just a whiner.... 18 years is not so long. Every move has made the current roster worse. oooops, whining again... Out

The worst back seven in the league? LOL!

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They better know what they are doing because if they don't, it happens all over again in 3 years.

Right, like there was some sort of preferable alternative course of action...

This team will continue to suck until the whole thing is blown up and rebuilt in a proper manner.

These guys are trying to do that. Give them some time.

Or probably wondering if totally dismantling the unit is the best approach when you have a solid young core of (cheap outside of Gilmore) man cover guys that can be hard to come by

But if this new scheme uses mostly zone coverage (cover 3), what good is it to keep man coverage guys who were struggling in zone?

McDermott's defensive scheme has been proven to be successful. I want him to succeed here. If that takes getting rid of guys and getting players that fit better, then so be it. Do what it takes. I'd rather they go all in than just try to half ass it and fit square pegs into round holes.

Why do the fans feel the need to constantly defend this organization.

Brandon Reilly made this team as did John Williams. But here in Buffalo we make 31 year old Fullbacks the primary handcuff at RB and put guys who literally have never caught a pass in a regular season game in the WR rotation. Not to mention cutting your backup MLB for anundersized special teams scrub.

As long as your an ex-Panther you "earn" your spot with this administration.

But if this new scheme uses mostly zone coverage (cover 3), what good is it to keep man coverage guys who were struggling in zone?

McDermott's defensive scheme has been proven to be successful. I want him to succeed here. If that takes getting rid of guys and getting players that fit better, then so be it. Do what it takes. I'd rather they go all in than just try to half ass it and fit square pegs into round holes.

And so we circle back around to the debate of "do you hire someone to do a 3 year dismantling and complete rebuild, or pick someone else to take advantage of the existing talent and already established pipeline?"

I recall nearly everyone being extremely excited about McD due to the fact that they did not think that he was going to have to dismantle the defense.

Beane really pulled off a great trade here...LMFAO

Who is to say he didn't? Basically it will come down to how well each player plays for his team. But even then, how do you qualify the picks the Bills got in return?

Brandon Reilly made this team as did John Williams. But here in Buffalo we make 31 year old Fullbacks the primary handcuff at RB and put guys who literally have never caught a pass in a regular season game in the WR rotation. Not to mention cutting your backup MLB for anundersized special teams scrub.

Reilly came back. Williams probably won't be picked up off of waivers and the Bills can put him on the PS. But given he's young and cheap, they likely parted with him for good reasons. Not that he'll make or break the Bills' season anyway.

And so we circle back around to the debate of "do you hire someone to do a 3 year dismantling and complete rebuild, or pick someone else to take advantage of the existing talent and already established pipeline?"

I recall nearly everyone being extremely excited about McD due to the fact that they did not think that he was going to have to dismantle the defense.

I get what you're saying and I too was hopeful that the defensive personnel wouldn't need to be totally overhauled (and I agree with you that it's much harder to find good man coverage CB's btw), but that's kind of besides the point now.

If the CB's didn't play zone well, what are you going to do? If McD/Beane etc evaluate these guys and feel they don't fit, should they just hang onto them anyway? Try to be "half pregnant" again?

We don't know everything that went into the decision either.

I also feel that there was going to be quite a few changes to the team this year no matter who was hired as coach and even if Whaley and his front office staff were still here. The Bills had a crazy number of free agents and not too much cap space to sign them. $19M to get 26 players signed, you kind of know changes are coming... some tough decisions were going to have to be made by whoever was in charge.

I'm not thrilled by some of these moves either and it's hard not to be somewhat skeptical about some of them. But I want them to do whatever they feel it will take to ultimately be successful in the long run and I give them credit for having the courage to make some of the tough decisions they've made. Only time will tell if those decisions were right.

They were worse players. Not much different than trading for just picks.

We need let the season play out to see if this is true. Your opinion means very little. Matthews and Gaines may be better fits. I am a Bills fan and will root for the guys we have. Way to many pessimistic attitudes around here.

Trades work based on perceived value. Sammy was traded for CB Gaines. I'm sure everyone agrees that Sammy is a better player than Gaines, hence the Rams threw in a 2nd rounder. Darby was traded for WR Matthews. The Eagles felt Darby is a better than Matthews so they threw in a 3rd rounder. Time will ultimately tell how the trades worked out, but as it stands right now, I think the Bills got the better end because compared to last year they got players who will be more productive and they got picks.

Darby has 2 years left on his rookie deal and Matthews is a FA after the season. Eagles were desperate for a starting CB and paid dearly. GM stated that clearly, that they had to give up a lot because of circumstances. These two variables played heavily into compensation.

Trades work based on perceived value. Sammy was traded for CB Gaines. I'm sure everyone agrees that Sammy is a better player than Gaines, hence the Rams threw in a 2nd rounder. Darby was traded for WR Matthews. The Eagles felt Darby is a better than Matthews so they threw in a 3rd rounder. Time will ultimately tell how the trades worked out, but as it stands right now, I think the Bills got the better end because compared to last year they got players who will be more productive and they got picks.

i think this is right. i also think there is a bit of the "better fit" thing too. now, sammy is a beast no matter where he is playing, but matthews is a reliable, almost posession style receive, and confirmed great locker guy and teammate. gaines is a "better fit" for a zone defense than darby. and then there are the 2nd and third round picks to go with it. also with sammy, there were the issues of availability, durability, and signability.

not me. I was all about the rebuild

You're whining about the release of two players who all 31 other teams took a look at and said, "Nah, we're good".

giphy.gif

We need let the season play out to see if this is true. Your opinion means very little. Matthews and Gaines may be better fits. I am a Bills fan and will root for the guys we have. Way to many pessimistic attitudes around here.

Darby has 2 years left on his rookie deal and Matthews is a FA after the season. Eagles were desperate for a starting CB and paid dearly. GM stated that clearly, that they had to give up a lot because of circumstances. These two variables played heavily into compensation.

It's the opinions of the teams who traded these guys.

I'll take the opinions of the teams who scouted, drafted, and watched these guys play everyday over the opinion of "Paul Costa, the optimist."

Edited by jmc12290

It's the opinions of the teams who traded these guys.

I'll take the opinions of the teams who scouted, drafted, and watched these guys play everyday over the opinion of "Paul Costa, the optimist."

You should go root for those teams and stop wasting everyone's time with all your bull shi*.