Thoughts so far on WR Zay Jones??

cover1

I was really high on Zay Jones coming out of college. Totally ecstatic that the Bills drafted him. So far this preseason his stats won't blow you away but his maturity, football IQ and route running have really shined through so far. I think Jones can be special. Just wondering what your thoughts on him so far and the entire draft class for that matter. I put together a breakdown on him if you're interested.

http://www.cover1.net/zay-jones-the-ability-to-win/

Edited by cover1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

nice breakdown...i have always liked Jones...I even said he has the intangibles to potentially be a HOF receiver someday...and even with Sammy on the team, I thought that eventually Zay would take over as the #1 receiver.

Edited by JaCrispy

If he stays healthy and he refines his already polished skill set I think he can be a pro-bowl caliber player. He isn't an elite athlete but he certainly has enough athleticism to get the job done. But what really impresses me is his hands and route running. So many receivers get drafted very high with less than stellar fundamentals because they are freak athletes. But Jones is a good athlete with high end skills and fundamentals. Very polished out of the gate.

However it is unfortunate that Sammy isn't here (In terms of development for Jones.) Without that front line receiver to take away the double teams Jones is going to see a lot of coverage his way. Which is going to hurt his chances and being productive.

Edited by billsfan89

If he stays healthy and he refines his already polished skill set I think he can be a pro-bowl caliber player. He isn't an elite athlete but he certainly has enough athleticism to get the job done. But what really impresses me is his hands and route running. So many receivers get drafted very high with less than stellar fundamentals because they are freak athletes. But Jones is a good athlete with high end skills and fundamentals. Very polished out of the gate.

However it is unfortunate that Sammy isn't here (In terms of development for Jones.) Without that front line receiver to take away the double teams Jones is going to see a lot of coverage his way. Which is going to hurt his chances and being productive.

I'll agree that Watkins absence will put more heat on Jones out of the gate. It would have opened up some better matchups for Jones and given the Bills flexibility to even put Jones in the slot. Ideally I would have liked to see the Darby trade made for Matthews and have a top 3 of Watkins , Matthews and Jones. That would look pretty good and they could have acquired a zone CB in another way.

We need a #1 WR. That's not Zay. Remember when we didn't have a #1 for years until we got Sammy?

We could never trade a second and third round draft pick and get someone close to Sammy.

You are right... no one in their right mind at OBD would trade those picks for ANY WR with the injury rep Sammy has.

We need a #1 WR. That's not Zay. Remember when we didn't have a #1 for years until we got Sammy?

We could never trade a second and third round draft pick and get someone close to Sammy.

That is correct. The team trading for Sammy needed to add a fairly decent player.

Also, I think your value on draft picks is outdated. Teams value picks now more than ever. The cost controlled salary in the wake of the mega-contracts for QBs (and others) has teams looking for cheap cost controlled talent in positions where it makes sense. It's why the scheme in New England where Brady takes a lesser salary and the Pats buy a veritable ***load of his $50 vegan bars gives them such an advantage.

nice breakdown...i have always liked Jones...I even said he has the intangibles to potentially be a HOF receiver someday...and even with Sammy on the team, I thought that eventually Zay would take over as the #1 receiver.

With healthy Sammy on the roaster you think Zay would (eventually ) push Sammy to # 2 spot ? Wow

With healthy Sammy on the roaster you think Zay would (eventually ) push Sammy to # 2 spot ? Wow

I don't think it's crazy to think Zay could be a top 20 receiver. It may be unlikely, but certainly not as crazy as most of the stuff on here.

I was really high on Zay Jones coming out of college. Totally ecstatic that the Bills drafted him. So far this preseason his stats won't blow you away but his maturity, football IQ and route running have really shined through so far. I think Jones can be special. Just wondering what your thoughts on him so far and the entire draft class for that matter. I put together a breakdown on him if you're interested.

http://www.cover1.net/2017/08/zay-jones-the-ability-to-win/

As long as T Taylor is the QB will never f&@$n know what we really have in Zay , now that I think about I fully support the Watkins trade , I would even go a step further and make sure I have a QB ( first ) before making any

( major investment in to the WR position ) like using a 1st round pick , or signing any big $ WR 's