Ragland traded to KC for 4th round 2019 pick

MAJBobby

Can it not be a reasonable deal? ILB contracts aren't too pricey right now. Preston will likely never be a superstar, but he could be on that second tier of reliable, above-average starters.

But it depends on what McD/Beane think about FA value for a LB. i think they have made it clear they won't spend big in FA, and want to build through the draft. All I'm thinking is if Brown had a good year, and he knows it, they may think they don't want to pay that for a LB in FA, and would rather draft him. They didn't want to go after the other Brown. Edited by Wayne Cubed

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it depends on what McD/Beane think about FA value for a LB. i think they have made it clear they won't spend big in FA, and want to build through the draft. All I'm thinking is if Brown had a good year, and he knows it, they may think they don't want to pay that for a LB in FA, and would rather draft him. They didn't want to go after the other Brown.

Extending your own players is different than splash FA signings. Heck, they even overpaid Eric Wood for some reason and that's not a guy they drafted. Hard to really know their vision until we see more of it unfold. I imagine they want to build through the draft, keep their best guys and supplement with free agents that fill needs without breaking the bank. If Preston does his job well, he will get an offer from us. If he wants to try for more money in the offseason, we will let him do so.

Extending your own players is different than splash FA signings. Heck, they even overpaid Eric Wood for some reason and that's not a guy they drafted. Hard to really know their vision until we see more of it unfold. I imagine they want to build through the draft, keep their best guys and supplement with free agents that fill needs without breaking the bank. If Preston does his job well, he will get an offer from us. If he wants to try for more money in the offseason, we will let him do so.

But Wood/Alexander is literally the only guys they've extended. Yes guys, leader types who aren't the most gifted but who they can sign relatively cheaply. And they are both older

Look at the guys they choose not to resign. McG, Brown and Woods. They traded or cut A LOT of young guys.

But Wood/Alexander is literally the only guys they've extended. Yes guys, leader types who aren't the most gifted but who they can sign relatively cheaply. And they are both older

Look at the guys they choose not to resign. McG, Brown and Woods. They traded or cut A LOT of young guys.

They chose to re-sign Groy too. And it's still really early in their tenure so we don't really know who we have under contract right now that they want to keep around.

They clearly value leader veterans. I think with some of the young talent they are trying to mold the roster to their vision and not overpay guys who are merely average. They aren't always gonna get it right, I would have liked to keep Gillislee, but J Will is looking solid so maybe it wasn't a bad ove. Zach Brown wanted more money than he was worth and Woods got a fat contract from LA that we should all find questionable.

I think it's good to see them dealing young talent they don't want for something instead of letting the season play out only to watch them go bye-bye.

They chose to re-sign Groy too. And it's still really early in their tenure so we don't really know who we have under contract right now that they want to keep around.

They clearly value leader veterans. I think with some of the young talent they are trying to mold the roster to their vision and not overpay guys who are merely average. They aren't always gonna get it right, I would have liked to keep Gillislee, but J Will is looking solid so maybe it wasn't a bad ove. Zach Brown wanted more money than he was worth and Woods got a fat contract from LA that we should all find questionable.

I think it's good to see them dealing young talent they don't want for something instead of letting the season play out only to watch them go bye-bye.

It's not how I would do a rebuild, I'd value youth and trade veteran players who won't be around when the rebuild actually bears fruit.

Think about Alexander, for example, why resign him? He's only going to be here for max 2 years, maybe only 1 year depending on how he performs this year. Maybe his age really shows? Wouldn't it make more sense to use that money to sign Z. Brown? Who's younger and has the speed they want in the WLB position.

But it depends on what McD/Beane think about FA value for a LB. i think they have made it clear they won't spend big in FA, and want to build through the draft. All I'm thinking is if Brown had a good year, and he knows it, they may think they don't want to pay that for a LB in FA, and would rather draft him. They didn't want to go after the other Brown.

i think they will draft a LB, but it's hard for a rookie to step right in at MLB. They will more likely sign Brown and draft a fast WLB. I could see them wanting to see half a season of Preston and then look to extend if it looks like a good fit. Edited by YoloinOhio

Wish we could have gotten more but he was getting cut anyway so better than nothing.

Maybe if genius McDermott didn't announce to the world he was on the verge of getting cut they could have gotten a pick sometime in the current century. Maybe not though.

serious question...

why is a 4th round pick in 2019 any less valuable than a 4th in 2018 ?

It's not how I would do a rebuild, I'd value youth and trade veteran players who won't be around when the rebuild actually bears fruit.

Think about Alexander, for example, why resign him? He's only going to be here for max 2 years, maybe only 1 year depending on how he performs this year. Maybe his age really shows? Wouldn't it make more sense to use that money to sign Z. Brown? Who's younger and has the speed they want in the WLB position.

Brown is probably a bad example - I think there were other factors that led to them passing on him - like him literally quitting on the field against the Steelers for one

a rebuild doesn't have to be all young newly drafted players. It needs a foundation of players who embody what you are trying to build and will be there to lead in the beginning. Kyle, Eric Wood, Lorax... these are guys they want in the locker room and on the field as they try to build the team. By contrast, the Jets did not have this last year - they had vets but not leaders. And then a bunch of rookies who had no example to follow but a poor one. I think what the Bills are going makes sense in building a team. Edited by YoloinOhio

Lorenzo was the better player and has proven to be a team leader which McD clearly values. He is older but has less wear since he hasn't been a full time starter all these years. We get two good years from him while he mentors the new guys. That's the idea.

I'm also not in the "we are tanking" camp, and I think this is one of the pieces of evidence. The leaders are staying on despite their age, because they want guys that will go play their hardest while serving as mentors. McD is also looking for younger guys to be the new leaders. Micah Hyde is one guy who is positioning himself in that role.

serious question...

why is a 4th round pick in 2019 any less valuable than a 4th in 2018 ?

The same reason that a coupon worth $5 off a pizza in a year isn't nearly worth as much to you as a $5 off coupon that is good for right now. In fact, the reason that it is somewhat consensus opinion around NFL circles that you lose approximately one round for each year is that ESPN polled all 32 owners, head coaches and GMs and asked them would they rather have $4 off a pizza today or $5 off a pizza in a year, and 92 of the 96 said $4 today. Edited by Kelly the Dog

Brown is probably a bad example - I think there were other factors that led to them passing on him - like him literally quitting on the field against the Steelers for one

Maybe, we will see. Depends on how he looks with the Redskins. I'm not sure it's fair to use Browns 1 game where he didn't play well and ignore the others where he looked good. Al lot of players didn't look good in that game.

The same reason that a coupon worth $5 off a pizza in a year isn't nearly worth as much to you as a $5 off coupon that is good for right now. In fact, the reason that it is somewhat consensus opinion around NFL circles that you lose approximately one round for each year is that ESPN polled all 32 owners, head coaches and GMs and asked them would they rather have $4 off a pizza today or $5 off a pizza in a year, and 92 of the 96 said $4 today.

Yep. It's part of that " I'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today" type thing

One would think that, at some point, Bills fans would stop swallowing the excuse that "it was a prior regime, X player didn't fit anymore" and start holding it against THE FRANCHISE for HISTORICALLY SUCKING for two decades. For pissing away draft picks and constantly changing regimes so that core young talent repeatedly becomes expendable. Do you folks realize how hard it is to miss the playoffs for this long of a stretch?

I'll say it again, I think that some of you have given up entirely on the concept of on-field winning and follow the team simply in order to "geek out" during the offseason and the NFL Draft. Fans are happy with the extra draft picks because that means more geeking out in April. It's basically fantasy football, except kinda real.

Edited by Coach Tuesday