Hurricane Thread --

Looks like Harvey just went category 4. They're predicting several feet of rain in the Austin area between now and Tuesday night.

This is one weird storm, in a badass sense. It's basically predicted to park itself over Victoria until Wednesday, with part of its circulation over the Gulf...which means it's going to act like a big-ass fire hose sucking water from the Gulf and dumping it on south Texas. Too late to build an ark, I guess?

And this thing didn't even exist Wednesday morning.

200.gif

I wonder what this Will do to our shipping @ work... We get a lot of tonnage that moves between the BP refinery in Indiana in Lake Michigan and the Gulf Coast. This will put a crimp in the petro-chem push... Prices will surely rise. They gotta be shutting down and shuttering up. Will the effects be far reaching?

Yes. This isn't just a storm that blows through, then you clean up. This is feet of rain over the next five days. The wind is a minor problem compared to that. I don't see how that amount of rain doesn't completely !@#$ up inland water transport for the next two weeks.

Too bad Georgia Pacific's no longer publicly traded. Koch Industries is going to make a good chunk of change off the drywall replacement alone in South Texas.

Edited by DC Tom

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

125 mile an hour wind! Wonder if my house could take that? At what speed does wind destroy houses?

If your house has withstood a blowhard like you, I'm sure it could withstand a hurricane.

Stay safe.

:beer:

This is one weird storm, in a badass sense. It's basically predicted to park itself over Victoria until Wednesday, with part of its circulation over the Gulf...which means it's going to act like a big-ass fire hose sucking water from the Gulf and dumping it on south Texas. Too late to build an ark, I guess?

And this thing didn't even exist Wednesday morning.

200.gif

Yes. This isn't just a storm that blows through, then you clean up. This is feet of rain over the next five days. The wind is a minor problem compared to that. I don't see how that amount of rain doesn't completely !@#$ up inland water transport for the next two weeks.

Even if the storm doesn't stall over the area, rain will be a big issue, at least inland. West Austin, south through San Antonio and well into the Rio Grande valley is all hard-packed, rocky soil and caliche that doesn't absorb water for squat. As always, low water crossings will claim a few of the daring and stupid. In my area, the storm will be little more than an inconvenience.

I swung by the grocery store yesterday on my lunch break, not thinking about the impending storm or the subsequent crowds I would encounter who were hoarding water, milk, eggs, and bread. Not only did a 10-minute errand take almost an hour, but I now have an image of everyone in Austin huddled at home, drinking water and eating french toast.

edit: just downgraded to category 1

Edited by Azalin

Poor Houston! Tough time for a lot of people trapped in flooding houses. God speed to them and all those people working right now to save people

!@#$ 'em. Texas voted Trump. They're Nazis.

Well, the city of Houston itself voted for Hillary so his narrative is still consistent.

TWEET OF THE DAY:

Screen-Shot-2017-08-27-at-5.03.02-PM.png

Hillary staffer TRIGGERED by rescue boat in Houston with Confederate flag................. :doh:

HERO ALERT: Man travels to Houston with his boat and one courageous goal

http://

trib.al/rj9sT5f

"I'm gonna save some lives"

DIQpDQlW4AAby12.jpg

Hope his boat isn't that big plastic one... They will be saving him. Now that JonBoat w/the outboard will do.

Hope people aren't being idiots and jumping into the hero role half cocked.

:-/