Hurricane Thread --

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AZ, they're saying Austin is also feeling it badly. Hope everything is ok

Thanks, but it's not too bad here. Judging by the debris on the property here at work, we had a little wind over the weekend, but nothing major. The Colorado river is pretty high from all the rain, but as far as I know there's been no actual flooding. The problem is that all the rivers flow to the south, so they'll all be cresting at the worst possible place at a really bad time.

Friend goes to see if his car dealership is salvageable this morning in Houston, doesn't look promising by the aerial shots.

It's also a good thing to remember that some shady people will be trying to resell some of the thousands and thousands flooded vehicles in the next few years.

It's also a good thing to remember that some shady people will be trying to resell some of the thousands and thousands flooded vehicles in the next few years.

He's not quite like that. But he was enjoying a good life as finance manager with a minor partnership.

Now wonders if he has a job and what insurance will cover.

But may be jumping the gun, as I remind him, swim in and see what is what first.

It will be very interesting to see if not evacuating Houston was the right call. I can see why they didn't - you would have likely had tens of thousands of people on highways in need of rescue. On the flip side, it seems like they should have started evacuations the moment this storm was modeled as a direct hit.

On the flip side, it seems like they should have started evacuations the moment this storm was modeled as a direct hit.

Any predictions that I saw had the storm coming straight for Corpus Christi, with a possible left turn and stall over Matamoros. I don't think any models predicted a north-east shift toward Houston/Beaumont.

I'm not sure how one definitively TELLS US the success or not.

Oh, silly me, CNN will be bashing Trump the whole time on his handling of it.... ho ho hooooooooooooooooo,,,,,

It's the 5th or so since 1960, so it's not an area unknown to hurricanes and other bad phenomena, floods happen as often as well.

It will be very interesting to see if not evacuating Houston was the right call. I can see why they didn't - you would have likely had tens of thousands of people on highways in need of rescue. On the flip side, it seems like they should have started evacuations the moment this storm was modeled as a direct hit.

Earlier the better for sure. When this was first starting I was thinking if it was me I'd stay and ride out the storm. I do not think that anymore. I'd of hit the road early to avoid the traffic

Earlier the better for sure. When this was first starting I was thinking if it was me I'd stay and ride out the storm. I do not think that anymore. I'd of hit the road early to avoid the traffic

would depend on your location, a half-mile from a large man made lake and your city is already below sea level would hope for you to hightail it...

TWEET OF THE DAY:

Screen-Shot-2017-08-27-at-5.03.02-PM.png
HERO ALERT: Man travels to Houston with his boat and one courageous goal

http://

trib.al/rj9sT5f

"I'm gonna save some lives"

DIQpDQlW4AAby12.jpg

Hope his boat isn't that big plastic one... They will be saving him. Now that JonBoat w/the outboard will do.

Hope people aren't being idiots and jumping into the hero role half cocked.

:-/

giphy.gif

Dem senator suggests better way to ‘fund disasters’ (what could go wrong?)
By Doug Powers

Now that the Senate’s debating legislation to help fund rescue and disaster recovery efforts in Texas, the MSM, Dems (and at least one Republican) have been critical of Texas Sens. Ted Cruz and John Cornyn’s 2012 vote against a Superstorm Sandy relief package.

What they’re not pointing out is that the issue was with unrelated pork added to the bill and not enough money was in the form of direct aid.

And sorry folks, he’s right, Sandy WAS filled with pork for NASA, Alaska fisheries, the Smithsonian …

Democrat U.S. senator from Connecticut, Chris Murphy, wants to cut through disaster funding red tape this way:

7NorOQHB_bigger.jpg Chris MurphyVerified account @ChrisMurphyCT 21h21 hours ago

Waiting to fund disasters until they happen invites this nonsense. We need a pre-funded account - automatically accessed when disaster hits.

What could possibly go wrong? I’ve become so jaded by politicians that my brain immediately translated that to “Town drunks ask for keys to local tavern.”

Dem senator suggests better way to fund disasters (what could go wrong?)

By Doug Powers

Now that the Senates debating legislation to help fund rescue and disaster recovery efforts in Texas, the MSM, Dems (and at least one Republican) have been critical of Texas Sens. Ted Cruz and John Cornyns 2012 vote against a Superstorm Sandy relief package.

What theyre not pointing out is that the issue was with unrelated pork added to the bill and not enough money was in the form of direct aid.

And sorry folks, hes right, Sandy WAS filled with pork for NASA, Alaska fisheries, the Smithsonian

Democrat U.S. senator from Connecticut, Chris Murphy, wants to cut through disaster funding red tape this way:

What could possibly go wrong? Ive become so jaded by politicians that my brain immediately translated that to Town drunks ask for keys to local tavern.

Can the funds be stored in a lockbox?

Dem senator suggests better way to ‘fund disasters’ (what could go wrong?)

By Doug Powers

Now that the Senate’s debating legislation to help fund rescue and disaster recovery efforts in Texas, the MSM, Dems (and at least one Republican) have been critical of Texas Sens. Ted Cruz and John Cornyn’s 2012 vote against a Superstorm Sandy relief package.

What they’re not pointing out is that the issue was with unrelated pork added to the bill and not enough money was in the form of direct aid.

And sorry folks, he’s right, Sandy WAS filled with pork for NASA, Alaska fisheries, the Smithsonian …

What could possibly go wrong? I’ve become so jaded by politicians that my brain immediately translated that to “Town drunks ask for keys to local tavern.”

Say a fund where everyone pays a small, predefined amount into it on a regular basis according to the particular probability of future loss due to a given event happening within a given time frame, then have the fund pay out to the people in need once the risk becomes realized.

If only we had a name for this practice where someone provides a guarantee of compensation for a specific loss in return for the payment of fixed amount determined by magnitude and probability of loss.